Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

New Radiography Graduate moving to Hong Kong

New Radiography Graduate moving to Hong Kong

Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:21 am
Just Joined

The_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really nice
Default New Radiography Graduate moving to Hong Kong

Hey people,

A brief Introduction. I've recently finished my training of three years in th UK as a Radiographer and I have been offered a job in the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin, Hong Kong.

I will be posting soon.

Take care

Jim
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Radiography Graduate moving to Hong Kong

Originally Posted by The_Hospital_Guy
Hey people,

A brief Introduction. I've recently finished my training of three years in th UK as a Radiographer and I have been offered a job in the Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin, Hong Kong.

I will be posting soon.

Take care

Jim
Welcome to BE Jim.

Congratulations on the new job.

I see you have already found your way into the Far East/Hong Kong forum. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help you with your questions about HK.

To help guide you around the forums we have a team of concierges...the concierges for the Far East Forums are bakedbean and nonthaburi...they will be pleased to help you find your way around the site.

If you have any problems or concerns please contact a moderator. We do not have a dedicated mod for the FE forums...therefore if you need assistance please contact a mod from this list....the moderators' names are printed in bold print.

Please give me a shout if you need any help. Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:57 am

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey people,

I will be posting soon.

Take care

Jim
Hello Jim, and welcome to BE!

Where did you happen to study Radiography? All the best in Hong Kong!

Regards,
Christian
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

The_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really niceThe_Hospital_Guy is just really nice

Thanks for the welcome folks.

Hey Christian. I studied at Exeter Uni and had placements in Plymouth, Truro and Bournemouth. Then electives in Cardiff and lastly Cambridge. They thought I was a country bumpkin up there but I guess everywhere is up north if you are from Devon. Are you a health professional yourself?
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:58 pm

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Christian. I studied at Exeter Uni and had placements in Plymouth, Truro and Bournemouth. Then electives in Cardiff and lastly Cambridge. They thought I was a country bumpkin up there but I guess everywhere is up north if you are from Devon. Are you a health professional yourself?
Years ago, when it was 20 minutes to develop plates by hand in three baths, and IV-contrast meant hanging glass IV's. Everything was steam-sterilised at about 45 psi, because it was pretty much all glass or metal and destined for re-use. And not everything was metric at that time either......you don't want to know!

You know how to do amazing things today —do them in minutes— that we could have never dreamt of! (And anyone who graduated out of Cambridge is hardly a bumpkin in my eyes! )

BTW: one can still hear a bit of the west-country in my own voice ... even now.

Best,
Christian
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

I have heard many a tale Chris. IV in glass? I can believe it. Many health and safety/infection control issues there in the modern day hehe.

IV these days, you will not be suprised I imagine, is automatic. You input the rate you want to inject and it will do it itself! set the rate and viscousity via computer!

Indeed gone are the days of 20 minute x-rays, I've heard the tales. Infact in the HK interview they asked if how I would cope with taking a chest X-ray(the most 'basic') every minute. A patient per minute! And we are supposed to be patient care orientated? :P

they were only using film (silver bromide) 10 years ago which took 10 minutes. It takes seconds now.. tis how fast things are moveinyh. they wont neeed radiographers soon! hehe
Old Nov 6th 2011, 12:25 am
Just Joined

xueman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
I read your post and was surprised to find out that you completed your radiography degree at exeter university. I am currently a 3rd year radiography student at exeter and doing my last placement at derriford. A few weeks ago, a radiographer told me that there were quite a few people found jobs in Hong Kong in your year. I have always had the thought of working abroad once I graduate and Hong Kong seems to be the best place for me as I speak both English and Chinese fluently.
Out of curiosity, I googled for ' UK radiographers working in Hong Kong' and was absolutely delighted when i found your post, I was even more excited when i found out that you were actually one of those people who went to Hong Kong to work this year.
Would it be possible for you to share some of your experience working in Hong Kong so far? what is the current radiography job market like in Hong Kong? do you think there will be any more similar opportunities next year?

Looking forward to your reply!!!

Cheers!
Jenny
Old Nov 6th 2011, 6:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by xueman
Hi there!
I read your post and was surprised to find out that you completed your radiography degree at exeter university. I am currently a 3rd year radiography student at exeter and doing my last placement at derriford. A few weeks ago, a radiographer told me that there were quite a few people found jobs in Hong Kong in your year. I have always had the thought of working abroad once I graduate and Hong Kong seems to be the best place for me as I speak both English and Chinese fluently.
Out of curiosity, I googled for ' UK radiographers working in Hong Kong' and was absolutely delighted when i found your post, I was even more excited when i found out that you were actually one of those people who went to Hong Kong to work this year.
Would it be possible for you to share some of your experience working in Hong Kong so far? what is the current radiography job market like in Hong Kong? do you think there will be any more similar opportunities next year?

Looking forward to your reply!!!

Cheers!
Jenny

Hello Jenny,

Sure is a small world hey!? Ah good old Derriford, My hometown! I have both been a patient there and completed my first placement at that great place I will send you a private messsage.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jenny,

Sure is a small world hey!? Ah good old Derriford, My hometown! I have both been a patient there and completed my first placement at that great place I will send you a private messsage.
Jenny cannot receive PMs as she's not made enough posts. The last time she logged onto this site was a couple of weeks ago.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Jenny cannot receive PMs as she's not made enough posts. The last time she logged onto this site was a couple of weeks ago.
ah roger that, I have sent her an email
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:52 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jenny

You might like to have a browse in the Hong Kong section of this forum and maybe raise a few questions in there, or join in some of the discussions? There's quite a few folks moving to Hong Kong who are posting and some "old timers" too.

You can find the Hong Kong section here
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

xueman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jenny,

Hiya!!
Thanks so much for sending me an email and Sorry for taking almost a week to let you know that i have received your email. I was trying to send you a PM on here but since i haven't really written many posts, my access to that function is restricted somehow.
Anyways, I was so excited when i got your reply to my message. i had almost lost hope that you would reply because i wasn't sure how often you would use this website. Anyhow, it's all good. While I was reading your message, my face just went from all excited to absolutely stunned. I find it difficult to believe how low and different the standard is over there and the fact that you are expected to be in two theatre cases at the same time is totally insane! No wonder why you aren't really enjoying your work much over there. It would have been a total shock to me as well if you haven't told me what it is like.
Afterall, however dreadful the HK work sounds to me, I am still kind of considering it as an option since the job market in the UK at the moment still doesn't look so bright and I really doubt it would get any better next year. I have been checking the NHS jobs website like every two weeks and almost every single time I would end up in dissappointment as most of the jobs are either for therapeutic radiographers or senior positions. So it's better to get a job in the field somewhere in the world rather than working in a care home for an uncertian period of time.(I am working in a care home part-time at the moment).
It's good to know that all of you who went for the HK job interview all managed to get recruited. It almost sounds like they were kind of desperate for radiographers at the time.However, when you mentioned that your manager wasn't looking forward to a flight to canada next year, my face went. Why canada? UK radiographers are the best! I really hope that there will be some opportunities for me next year.
Because i am still interested in this HK thing, I do have a few more questions to ask if you don't mind me asking. do patients over there all understand English? have you found patient communication difficult at times? do the staff over there all understand English? What kind of hours do you have to work over there? Is it true that there's less annual leaves that you can get over there than in the UK?Is everything quite expensive over there? How is the living condition like? Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions at once.
Anyways, I am so grateful for all the useful information you have given me and it's great to get in touch with an Exeter graduate. Like you said, it is a small world indeed. By the way, I am really enjoying my placement at derriford, all the staff are sooo nice over here. it's the best plaecment i have had so far. I would definitely consider getting a job here if there's one next year.

Looking forward to hearing from you again!

ALL the best

Jenny
Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

radiocaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I would also love to hear more about working in HK as a radiographer please!

I actually accepted a position as a newly qualified radiographer this year, however I then got offered a job in Scotland and felt that it would be a lot less stressful to start my career there for the time being, so declined the HK job afterall.

However I do often think about what it would be like if I had gone to work in HK, and still think that I may wish to work there sometime in the future.

I studied at Salford and graduated this year too.

Caroline
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Veryberryshelley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jim! How did you get the job???

I have been looking in England since December and there's no jobs here. :-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.