New Life in Hong Kong

Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Gaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the roughGaylord_Focker is a jewel in the rough
Default New Life in Hong Kong

Ok - Heres the deal, Ive got an economics degree from a good British University and nearly three years experience working as a bond broker in New York so Ive got a well rounded CV for applying for jobs in banking and finance.
I also hold Irish citizenship and there is a one year working holiday visa arrangement with HK and Ireland.
Im thinking of getting the one year WHV and then getting there, taking any job and just hitting as many agencies and recruiters in Finance and Banking as I can to try and get a real job and sponsorship for a more permenant visa. I don't speak a word of |Chinese but Im only considering doing this on the basis that HK is such a massive Financial center that there a loads of Western firms there who might hire me.
Failing that, Im considering doing exactly the same thing for Australia. Im just looking for a new life and career away from the UK.
Am I mad? Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Cheers :
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life in Hong Kong

Lots of young people from the UK/Cananda/Australia/etc on WHV work at bars and restaurants in HK. Very very few can actually find temporary jobs in banking or finance as the banks aren't normally interested in sort term employment. As I understand, you can only work for an employer for a maximum of 3 months and you need to work for someone else after, on a WHV.

In reply to your comment,

"I don't speak a word of Chinese but Im only considering doing this on the basis that HK is such a massive Financial center that there a loads of Western firms there who might hire me."

you'll find that being Westerner and speaking English doesn't give you much advantage in finance, even in the Western firms. There are already loads of Brits/Americans/Chinese in these firms who speak perfect English, and Cantonese, and some Mandarin. The financial market in HK at the moment (and in the future too) is in fact very heavily dependent on development in mainland China. Speaking Mandarin and being able to read Chinese will give you definite advantage.

Have a look at the Classified Post section of the SCMP, the leading English newspaper in Hong Kong for an idea of what sort of jobs you may find. You should be able to find names of some agencies as well. Michael Page is one of the bigger ones for finance.

Good luck with your endeauvour.

Mrs JTL

Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker
Ok - Heres the deal, Ive got an economics degree from a good British University and nearly three years experience working as a bond broker in New York so Ive got a well rounded CV for applying for jobs in banking and finance.
I also hold Irish citizenship and there is a one year working holiday visa arrangement with HK and Ireland.
Im thinking of getting the one year WHV and then getting there, taking any job and just hitting as many agencies and recruiters in Finance and Banking as I can to try and get a real job and sponsorship for a more permenant visa. I don't speak a word of |Chinese but Im only considering doing this on the basis that HK is such a massive Financial center that there a loads of Western firms there who might hire me.
Failing that, Im considering doing exactly the same thing for Australia. Im just looking for a new life and career away from the UK.
Am I mad? Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Cheers :
Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Life in Hong Kong

I have to agree with Mrs. JTL regarding the comments about finding Temp work in the financial world here.

However - all is not lost!

It would be quite easy for you to find a job in a bar, (as already suggested), a coffee shop - or better teach English at an 'English Club' type establishment.

Once you have found a job - you could start to network, get to meet people who work in your prefered area and see where it leads.

It is, of course, possible for you to get a Working Visa if a genuine employer is willing to offer you a job, subject to various constraints from the Immigration Department here.

I know people who have done just this - and they have been here for years now!

Remember - HK is expensive and you will need some cash to keep you going for a while until you have found that initial job. Rent can be expensive, but there are various options open to you to budget your accomodation.

Good luck - HK is a place where 'majic' happens & many people have made a wonderful life and a great career here - but always have enough money for a return ticket home if it doesn't work out.

Send me a PM if you need more Info.

Regards.