British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   China/Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/)
-   -   Looking for advice from Math Tutor/Teacher in Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/looking-advice-math-tutor-teacher-hong-kong-874624/)

Patrick_Vieira Mar 20th 2016 11:46 pm

Looking for advice from Math Tutor/Teacher in Hong Kong

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to relocate to Hong Kong and I'm exploring my options for work. I'm currently a private tutor living in London and I'm thinking of either teaching maths in a school when I relocate OR teaching maths as a private tutor.

I've gathered that (generally) you need to be able to speak Cantonese, have a degree in a math related subject, have a teaching qualification and at least a couple of years of experience. Please correct me if I've left anything out.

For a private tutor it's a bit more ambiguous. All the tutoring agencies I've seen are in Chinese and can't really understand it, even with google translate. Do agencies generally accept western tutors or do you need to find your own clients? Also, what kind of qualifications do people in HK look for when selecting the right tutor for their child?

Thank you everyone for reading, I look forward to any insight you can share. I hope this helps other people relocating to HK as well.

All the best,
Patrick

hong_konger Mar 22nd 2016 1:05 am

Re: Looking for advice from Math Tutor/Teacher in Hong Kong

I am responding despite the fact that you are an obvious Arsenal fan. Bottled it yet again !!! At least you are consistent !! Arsene for ever ?

You say you are a private tutor. Does that mean you are rather senior in years and have many years of teaching experience under your belt ?

Cantonese is not essential, but obviously would be a plus. A teaching qualification, preferably a degree, is becoming more and more of a requirement. Yes foreigners are welcome. However, in my experience, there is more of a demand for native English speakers to teach English rather than Maths. I suspect that Maths is better taught in Cantonese.

Patrick_Vieira Mar 22nd 2016 10:37 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Haha, I get that a lot. I'm not much of a football fan but genuinely this is my real name :lol:

I have a fair bit of tutoring experience. I've tutored for almost 2 years and I have spent a whole academic year working at a secondary school (TA type role). By the time I make my move I should have 4 solid years of full time experience.

I've got a bachelors in Engineering but no teaching qualification. I'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary to do a PGCE or if I can tutor without it(what other qualification is there in the UK?). Also wondering if more qualifications = charge clients at a higher rate.

HKG3 Mar 23rd 2016 5:16 pm

The OP forgot the note the most important thing - visa.

British Citizens can no longer work in Hong Kong without the correct visa.

The OP may be interested in getting a Hong Kong working holiday visa -

Working Holiday Scheme | Immigration Department