Living in Nanjing, China

Old May 13th 2009, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future
Default Living in Nanjing, China

I am moving to Nanjing in August when my husband takes up a position in education at the Nanjing Foreign Language School. I have so many questions and I am keen to have them answered but not sure where is the best place to go. Nanjing has not been mentioned too much on this site but maybe by putting it up there someone will have some clues and post back to me.

Firstly - where are the best places to look for accommodation? and how much would a 3 bedroom apartment/villa cost to rent? and what is the best way to source accommodation in Nanjing? We were told we could probably get a 2 bedroom for around 3000CNY ???? Is this true?

Second - we have an almost brand new car purchased very cheaply in the Middle East (UAE). We are considering bringing it in with us and packing some of our stuff in it for the move. What are the implications of importing a car to China - tax, any other costs?

We will be visiting between the 18th and 24th June to have a look around, do a handover with the current person in the job and look for accommodation. Would love to meet up with anyone who can show us the ropes!

Looking forward to some replies - thanks!
Old May 13th 2009, 4:56 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Nanjing, China

Nanjing? No, no- you want to live in Shanghai!!

I haven't been to Nanjing but friends who have say it is a great place, especially the history.
I would not even consider taking your car over with you and would be surprised if you even want to have a car when you get there. Most expats either employ a driver (full time or as per your schedule) or take taxis everywhere. Driving in 'developed' cities in China is taking your life in your hands, doing so in 'smaller' cities (Nanjing has only 8 million residents after all, compared to 19 million in Shanghai!) is asking for problems.
You will get a load of great advice from the people in the school already when you go there but try and find out where the xpat hangouts are in the city and do some networking to find out the answers to a lot of your questions.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

Tomorrow we fly to Shanghai from Dubai and on Thursday we will be driven up to Nanjing. I am excited and can't wait to see the city we will spend the next three years in. I will post to this discussion thread on my experience of Nanjing as I have been unable to find a lot of information on living in Nanjing and I am sure there will be others who will be looking for some tips in the future!

Watch this space!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

fadongle is an unknown quantity at this point

The place is awful,expect for some historic sceneries. Very crowded and terrible traffic. But living costs are really low for British. Considering importing a car to China? Chinese government will take this oppotunity to levy huge taxes. You'd better sell the car in middle east and buy a new one in Nanjing. That'll be cheaper.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

We visited Nanjing for a week and I loved it. Compared to the Middle East and particularly the UAE it is a lovely change. We are really looking forward to it.

Sold the car and already on our way. Presently in London for a holiday, then back to Aus for a while and landing Nanjing about mid August.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Hurdle_bunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Living in Nanjing, China

I won't preach to you about the pros and cons of Nanjing as I know how annoying it is when "expert expats" (given they have all been American so far!) go on and on and about how dreadful it is (so why do they choose to live here!). Ok so there are more beautiful places but it's the people who make a place enjoyable. I lived in Lithuania a very long time ago and that was a truly dreadful. So my answer is to surround myself with positive people as there are plenty of the other sort who try to depress you.

If you fancy a drink or noodle one day get in touch.

Sian
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sian

Well we have been here now for nearly six months so I am quite settled in and I love Nanjing - though I could definitely do without the cold weather we have been having. I have never lived anywhere so cold in all my life and I am just so pleased we have a wonderful house with floor heating and aircon if we need it.

I have not been able to find work and that has been the biggest hurdle. I am coping though. How long have you been here? Happy to meet for a coffee nd a chat.

Nice to meet you on the airwaves.

Cheryl
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fadongle
The place is awful,expect for some historic sceneries. Very crowded and terrible traffic.
This is so NOT true. Nanjing is vibrant, interesting and very welcoming - I travel from one end of the city to the other in busses and on the subway and it works and it is great! Yes it is very busy - there are nearly 8 million people living here! But I love it!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Hurdle_bunter is an unknown quantity at this point

People are very friendly too - even the ones who stare at you! I met a guy called Keith on the train from SuZhou today - wanted to practice his English and give me any help he could (ex-Coventry Uni student). Can you imagine a Chinese person on the St Albans to Kings Cross/St Pancras line being approached by a Brit asking whether they could be of any help whilst in London?!

Sian

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 13th 2010 at 11:46 am. Reason: Phone number removed to prevent unwanted calls - you can swap numbers by private message :)
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sian
I am going to a Book Club meeting at Yulan Village this morning. I'll give you a call today.
I think your name was mentioned by one of my friends - I think we may know some people in common..........we'll see
Talk soon
C
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Default Stralian Barbie

If you are an Australian living in Nanjing we are having a Stralian Barbie at our place to celebrate Australia Day. Send me a reply and I will make sure you get an invite. Keen to meet any other Aussies in Nanjing.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stralian Barbie

Originally Posted by Aussieoverseas
If you are an Australian living in Nanjing we are having a Stralian Barbie at our place to celebrate Australia Day. Send me a reply and I will make sure you get an invite. Keen to meet any other Aussies in Nanjing.
Hi Cheryl,
I have nothing but good things to say about China.
I have some of the most wonderfull friends a person could wish for.
They all make me feel very special, and very wanted in their country.
I am up in top end of Shandong, Yantai, Weifang, Qingdao.
A nicer place I could never hope to find, and I think Yantai will be our home.

I have been several times to the Yantai University, just as a guest speaker, as I have many friends there, and they take all the opportunuty they can, to get me there to speak English about my career and where my career has taken me.
I have a great time mixing and talking to the students, they are all so very appreciative.

'vette
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Sounds interesting 'vette. I am integrating well here and having a great time meeting people. How did you get onto doing the university stuff? I would be happy to do the same.

Sian - called you this evening but no answer so I hope it wasn't because you have been bugged by a whole lot of strange phone calls today .... ?? I have sent an SMS with my number.

All the best
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You really should not put your number on the net!

I've reported the post to the mods in the hope they can edit it before the weirdos start calling, in case the poster is offline at the moment.

Seriously - no phone numbers or email addresses. Just too risky.

(I used to run a forum, I know the kind of people out there. )
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
You really should not put your number on the net!

I've reported the post to the mods in the hope they can edit it before the weirdos start calling, in case the poster is offline at the moment.

Seriously - no phone numbers or email addresses. Just too risky.

(I used to run a forum, I know the kind of people out there. )
I've taken the number off
Much better to swap numbers one-to-one - you can send private messages and emails via the forum, which gives you more control over who gets your number

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.