Study in HK

Old Mar 21st 2014, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

amcgr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study in HK

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and similar to this guy, I've been presented the opportunity to move to HK. My situation is slightly different as I've been offered a place at HKU for a master's degree.

My question is the same; should I move to HK? I'm 26, single with a business degree/background. I visited HK for a few days in 2012 and found it pretty inspiring though I'm unsure as to whether HK is a good place still for British folks/expatriates.

Thanks - looking forward to taking part in the forums.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study in HK

Just get yourself here. It will be the best decision you ever made !

... and if you don't it will be the worst decision you ever made !
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger

Not necessarily.

Depends what the T & C that he'll get.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Hehe, inspirational comment but my question is, what makes HK so great?

I live in the UK and Europe is not all that bad - comfortable in fact. From my limited time in HK, I got the impression that it matches the European lifestyle in respect to the quality of life among many other things.

What really draws me to HK and indeed SE Asia is growth - things are happening there that I just don't see in Europe in the near future. This is exciting from a professional/working perspective.

I guess if it doesn't work out in Asia for me I can say I've tried as you mention...
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Its not easy to put your finger on what makes HK great but see this video link.

http://vimeo.com/52948373

Single and 26... you will have a ball here. Are going to just study here ? How are you intending to financially support yourself ?
Also, as rightly qualified by ex reg, as long as your allowance allows you to live a little then unless you have any particular emotional ties to home, you are almost certain to like it here. Sure there will be some adjustments to start with as with anywhere.

You also have easy access to many other Asian destination.

And like you say, if for any reason it doesn't work out then you have not really lost anything.

Last edited by hong_konger; Mar 31st 2014 at 12:41 am.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. Its not easy to put your finger on what makes HK great but see this video link.

http://vimeo.com/52948373

Single and 26... you will have a ball here. Are going to just study here ? How are you intending to financially support yourself ?
Also, as rightly qualified by ex reg, as long as your allowance allows you to live a little then unless you have any particular emotional ties to home, you are almost certain to like it here. Sure there will be some adjustments to start with as with anywhere.

You also have easy access to many other Asian destination.

And like you say, if for any reason it doesn't work out then you have not really lost anything.
Thanks for the advice. I will be using savings for support and whilst my course is full-time, it's probably going to be mostly evenings and weekends. I'm unsure about employment in this regard but it won't be absolutely necessary.

I've got to think over the offer but for a year of one's life, it seems too good an opportunity to turn down. I've got real motivations to move to and experience HK/Asia which at the end of the day helps commitment.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

If you have sufficient savings then all well and good but HK is not a cheap place to live.

You may be eligible to take up temporary employment to supplement your funds. See the following web site. I'm not sure whether you would be eligible under this particular scheme but you may want to investigate.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...nce-notes.html
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

If you have sufficient savings then all well and good but HK is not a cheap place to live.

You may be eligible to take up temporary employment to supplement your funds. See the following web site. I'm not sure whether you would be eligible under this particular scheme but you may want to investigate.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...nce-notes.html
Thanks for the link. As for the point about HK being cheap, that is a concern i.e competing for competing's sake. I'm more interested in achieving things, both personally and professionally, than money.

I will need to decide soon but thanks for your thoughts guys.