Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Pregnancy and birth in Hong kong

Pregnancy and birth in Hong kong

Old Nov 21st 2016, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

JC1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pregnancy and birth in Hong kong

Hi all

First post to this China/HK and am looking for some really specific information
Basically I have been offered a role in Hong kong to start next year in February
My wife is pregnant and is due in April.
Obviously we are on the NHS at present and hence all medical care in the uk is free
I have read a lot about fees for pregnancy in hk and who is eligible for public healthcare.
As I understand it , in order to be legible for public healthcare and thus minimum fees you must be a resident, have a HKID and a visa
I will have a HKID and a visa, my wife will have the dependent visa and HKID.
One question is are we also residents?
As I understand you have go be in HK for 7 years before you can apply for permanent residency.
If that is not an issue, then is timing that we come to HK (7 months into the pregnancy) an issue? As I have heard that you might need to pay upwards to 90k hkd if you are not registered for the full 9 month cycle
Our situation appears to be very grey,
In a nutshell with 2 months left of the pregnancy, with my working visa and HKID what are the estimated costs for us in queen Mary public hospital
Many thanks
John
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy and birth in Hong kong

John

Is it not possible for your wife to give birth to the child in the UK before moving to Hong Kong?

Another thing you need to know is that while the child being born in Hong Kong will be very likely to be a British Citizen as long as either you or the wife was born in the UK, however, the child will be a British Citizen by descent. This means that his / her child born outside the UK may not get British Citizenship.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:51 am
Just Joined

JC1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pregnancy and birth in Hong kong

Thanks for the reply hkg3
Have got this sorted now, also aware of the child citizenship rules too, thanks for highlighting that

Cheers john