Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

International Schools in China VS State Schools in the UK

International Schools in China VS State Schools in the UK

Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:29 am
Just Joined

britinchina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Schools in China VS State Schools in the UK

Does anyone on this forum have experience of sending their children to both an International School in China and a state school in the UK (or a public high school in other western countries)?

I know there is a huge variation in quality of International Schools here in China and also of state schools in the UK and other countries. I would love to hear peoples experiences.

Many people on this forum say how overpriced the International schools are, which clearly I agree with. However, I met a senior level expat in Shanghai recently who told me the International School his daughter goes to has the 2nd highest IB results in the world.

Our oldest daughter is currently at YCIS in China and doing really well. Our youngest daughter is due to start at YCIS next year. I pay the fees out of my own pocket. I started my own small Business here from scratch 5 years ago and after 3 painful years it's been quite stable recently. I'm far from rich but am just able to afford the fees and currently it feels worth it as my daughter loves school and is really blossoming. I just worry they won't enjoy the same level of attention and quality of education in a small state school in the UK countryside.

Class sizes at YCIS are mostly about 18 kids compared to the average of 29 per class in UK state schools according to an article I recently read online. My gut feeling is that the school she is at is better than 80% of state schools in the UK, but I have no evidence to back this up! Hence why I'm posting the question.

We are thinking of moving back to the UK in the next few years as the wife is not that keen on living in China (Happy wife happy life!). One of our biggest concerns is the quality of state education in the UK. We will probably struggle to afford paying for both of our kids to have a private education in England as I won't be able to run the Business in the UK. I will have to find a job and my income will probably initially be a bit less than it is now.

Any experiences or advice from people on this forum would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot of your time!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Schools in China VS State Schools in the UK

Originally Posted by britinchina
Does anyone on this forum have experience of sending their children to both an International School in China and a state school in the UK (or a public high school in other western countries)?

I know there is a huge variation in quality of International Schools here in China and also of state schools in the UK and other countries. I would love to hear peoples experiences.

Many people on this forum say how overpriced the International schools are, which clearly I agree with. However, I met a senior level expat in Shanghai recently who told me the International School his daughter goes to has the 2nd highest IB results in the world.

Our oldest daughter is currently at YCIS in China and doing really well. Our youngest daughter is due to start at YCIS next year. I pay the fees out of my own pocket. I started my own small Business here from scratch 5 years ago and after 3 painful years it's been quite stable recently. I'm far from rich but am just able to afford the fees and currently it feels worth it as my daughter loves school and is really blossoming. I just worry they won't enjoy the same level of attention and quality of education in a small state school in the UK countryside.

Class sizes at YCIS are mostly about 18 kids compared to the average of 29 per class in UK state schools according to an article I recently read online. My gut feeling is that the school she is at is better than 80% of state schools in the UK, but I have no evidence to back this up! Hence why I'm posting the question.

We are thinking of moving back to the UK in the next few years as the wife is not that keen on living in China (Happy wife happy life!). One of our biggest concerns is the quality of state education in the UK. We will probably struggle to afford paying for both of our kids to have a private education in England as I won't be able to run the Business in the UK. I will have to find a job and my income will probably initially be a bit less than it is now.

Any experiences or advice from people on this forum would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot of your time!
I don't think thats a fair comparison. Your children can go to an UK state school for free while you need to pay to go to an international school in China. Given the fact that you pay out extra money to the international school in China, it is not a surprise that class sizes are smaller and education attainment is better at the international school in China.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

britinchina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Schools in China VS State Schools in the UK

Thanks for your reply. I agree it's not a fair comparison and that class sizes are smaller at International schools as that's what you pay for. However I know a number of UK state schools are very good and students achieve excellent results.

I appreciate it's a difficult comparison as no two schools are the same but I just wondered if some people on this forum have had experience of having their kids studying at a UK state school and also at an International School in China and if they feel their kids are really that much better off at an International school.

For example many people on expat forums in China say International schools are overpriced and not very good quality. Maybe those are the people who can't afford to send their kids to them!