British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   China/Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/)
-   -   Hong Kong Weather (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/hong-kong-weather-279470/)

threlly Jan 23rd 2005 6:22 pm

Hong Kong Weather

Hi there,
i am going to HK to stay for 4 nights on may 1st on way to australia. i have read that the tyhpoon weather starts in may and was just wondering if it will still be OK to go to HK then? is HK OK in may?
cheers for nay help/advice :)

JackTheLad Jan 23rd 2005 10:11 pm

Re: Hong Kong Weather

Originally Posted by threlly
Hi there,
i am going to HK to stay for 4 nights on may 1st on way to australia. i have read that the tyhpoon weather starts in may and was just wondering if it will still be OK to go to HK then? is HK OK in may?

The typhoon season really starts in July, with the worst in August and September. Occasionally typhoons hit as early as June, but not very likely in May. May is usually rainy and muggy, but not too hot usually. Of course weather is unpredictable, you never know.

It is perfectly okay to go to HK even in typhoon season, so May is definitely no problem. The only thing to note is that it's public holiday weekend, and everyone gets Monday May 2nd off, so the shops are even more crowded than usual. On the plus side, there will be some sales on for Labor Day and you may be able to pick up some bargains. The mainland Chinese have a week off (local Hong Kongese only get 1 day) and many travel to HK for sightseeing and shopping. It might confuse you a bit seeing lots of tourists. Hotels will be quite busy so if you are going, book early.

Have fun and good luck.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

paddythepilot Jan 24th 2005 4:14 am

Hi there,

Mate,

Jackthelad is quite correct, don't worry about typhoons in Hong Kong.

The weather will be warm & humid in May, but nothing to worry about.

Your biggest issue will be the polution levels, which are pretty bad these days, can't hardly see across the harbour.

Still, Hong Kong is a wonderful stop-over, you are most welcome to contact me & I'll point you in the right direction for places to go and areas to buy stuff.

Cheers.

threlly Jan 24th 2005 9:50 am

Hi Jackthelad and paddythepilot,
thanks for your help/advice. i am looking into booking the flight later 2day, the flight we are looking to book lands in hong kong on monday may 2nd at 13.20. is this their bank holiday? so it is good news re:the weather. i am now not sure about which area to stay, whether to stay on hong kong island or in kowloon, what do you think? which is the best?
also, when u arrive at the airport is it easy to get from the airport to either hong king island and kowloon? cheers for any any help/advice

Originally Posted by paddythepilot
Mate,

Jackthelad is quite correct, don't worry about typhoons in Hong Kong.

The weather will be warm & humid in May, but nothing to worry about.

Your biggest issue will be the polution levels, which are pretty bad these days, can't hardly see across the harbour.

Still, Hong Kong is a wonderful stop-over, you are most welcome to contact me & I'll point you in the right direction for places to go and areas to buy stuff.

Cheers.

JackTheLad Jan 24th 2005 11:33 pm

thanks for your help/advice. i am looking into booking the flight later 2day, the flight we are looking to book lands in hong kong on monday may 2nd at 13.20. is this their bank holiday? so it is good news re:the weather. i am now not sure about which area to stay, whether to stay on hong kong island or in kowloon, what do you think? which is the best?
also, when u arrive at the airport is it easy to get from the airport to either hong king island and kowloon? cheers for any any help/advice

May 2nd is bank holiday, but unlike most cities in the world, shops and restaurants are all open for business. There are good places to stay in both Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. What sort of budget are you looking at? Any particular criteria/requirements? Have you got kids travelling with you? I would always recommend the Island Shangri-La, the Conrad and the Marriot at the Pacific Place, Hong Kong Island, as they are all near shops and good transport.

There are many more economic accomodation as well all over the place. The one I always recommend to friends is the Gardenview International House, on MacDonnell Road/Garden Road - it's about GBP30-50, in a nice residential area (the Mid-Levels) over looking the Botanic Gardens, and a short taxi/bus ride from Central or Admiralty. Rooms are small but clean, very few facilities apart from a little swimming pool - so it's okay if you don't plan on spending lots of time in the hotel room.

The train from the airport to Hong Kong Island takes 23 minutes, and slightly shorter for the Kowlooon Station. The cost is $90 I think, but the price might have changed.

The Tourist Association has a very nice site with all the information you need:
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.jsp

If you have more questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

paddythepilot Jan 25th 2005 12:29 am

Mate,

I can't add much more that 'Jackthelad' has already mentioned.

2nd May is indeed a Public holiday, but as already mentioned, this is not a problem in Hong Kong......everything is open!

There are so many hotel in Hong Kong, I would actually recommend Hong Kong Island over Kowloon side, mainly because it is a slightly 'nicer' environment.

As mentioned, the Island Shangri-La hotel is fantastic! But not cheap, what is your budget?

If you fancy a swift beer when in town, let me know!

Jackthelad:- seems you know Hong Kong very well, how long did you live here for?

Cheers.

JackTheLad Jan 25th 2005 7:29 am

Originally Posted by paddythepilot
Mate,

I can't add much more that 'Jackthelad' has already mentioned.

2nd May is indeed a Public holiday, but as already mentioned, this is not a problem in Hong Kong......everything is open!

There are so many hotel in Hong Kong, I would actually recommend Hong Kong Island over Kowloon side, mainly because it is a slightly 'nicer' environment.

As mentioned, the Island Shangri-La hotel is fantastic! But not cheap, what is your budget?

If you fancy a swift beer when in town, let me know!

Jackthelad:- seems you know Hong Kong very well, how long did you live here for?

Cheers.

I was raised there! Long story... You'd regret you asked... :D Left for high school and uni, returned to HK to work for 7 years (2 years with CX, in case you work for them!), and have since been working in Oz and the UK, have very recently settled down for good in SE Queensland.

Mrs JTL

threlly Jan 25th 2005 5:58 pm

Hi JackThe Lad and PaddyThePilot,
thanks for your help-very much appreciated. we had booked the Metropark hotel on hong king island, but the travel agents have just come back and said its booked, so we have now been put forward for the Novotel on HK island, fingers crossed there is room. is is just myself and bf travelling, i really hope the travel agents get us in or i will start to panic.
cheers for now-will let u know how i get on

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
May 2nd is bank holiday, but unlike most cities in the world, shops and restaurants are all open for business. There are good places to stay in both Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. What sort of budget are you looking at? Any particular criteria/requirements? Have you got kids travelling with you? I would always recommend the Island Shangri-La, the Conrad and the Marriot at the Pacific Place, Hong Kong Island, as they are all near shops and good transport.

There are many more economic accomodation as well all over the place. The one I always recommend to friends is the Gardenview International House, on MacDonnell Road/Garden Road - it's about GBP30-50, in a nice residential area (the Mid-Levels) over looking the Botanic Gardens, and a short taxi/bus ride from Central or Admiralty. Rooms are small but clean, very few facilities apart from a little swimming pool - so it's okay if you don't plan on spending lots of time in the hotel room.

The train from the airport to Hong Kong Island takes 23 minutes, and slightly shorter for the Kowlooon Station. The cost is $90 I think, but the price might have changed.

The Tourist Association has a very nice site with all the information you need:
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.jsp

If you have more questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

JackTheLad Jan 25th 2005 11:11 pm

Hi JackThe Lad and PaddyThePilot,
thanks for your help-very much appreciated. we had booked the Metropark hotel on hong king island, but the travel agents have just come back and said its booked, so we have now been put forward for the Novotel on HK island, fingers crossed there is room. is is just myself and bf travelling, i really hope the travel agents get us in or i will start to panic.
cheers for now-will let u know how i get on

Which Novotel are you booked at? The one in Wanchai is conveniently located near all the bars, restaurants, a couple of Irish Pubs, and the Island side red-light district (Lockhart Road). It's a short walk from either the Admiralty or the Wanchai MTR (underground) stations, and the Pacific Place.

The one in Western District is fairly new in an old commercial/residential area - little to do near the hotel day or night. It's on the tram/bus line, but not on the MTR line. However because Hong Kong is so small and cab drives are cheap, you can get around very easily from both hotels.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

toptoptop Jan 26th 2005 2:37 pm

Hi there,

The weather of HK is good in May,don't worry about tyhpoon weather.tsunami is impossible in HK! Maybe the weather is hot to an occidental in southern china!

threlly Jan 26th 2005 6:09 pm

Hi Mrs JackTheLad,
it is the novotel in wanchai on hong kong island, so from what u say it sounds like a hotel in a good place, is has not been confirmed yet though, we r still waiting for the travel agents to get back to us, will let u know when they do-thanks for your info on it though
cheers

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Which Novotel are you booked at? The one in Wanchai is conveniently located near all the bars, restaurants, a couple of Irish Pubs, and the Island side red-light district (Lockhart Road). It's a short walk from either the Admiralty or the Wanchai MTR (underground) stations, and the Pacific Place.

The one in Western District is fairly new in an old commercial/residential area - little to do near the hotel day or night. It's on the tram/bus line, but not on the MTR line. However because Hong Kong is so small and cab drives are cheap, you can get around very easily from both hotels.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Desert Dweller Mar 29th 2005 5:20 am

If the Novotel falls through, there is always the Wharney and the Charterhouse, both in Wanchai and good for all the reasons JTL metioned. The YMCA Harbour View isn't bad either.

And as you originally asked about weather, you can find a lot of info here or you can have a look here although they need to clean the webcam!