British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   China/Hong Kong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/)
-   -   Hong Kong - Opticians (https://britishexpats.com/forum/china-hong-kong-151/hong-kong-opticians-350279/)

BobbyDazzler Jan 23rd 2006 8:05 pm

Hong Kong - Opticians

Can anybody recommend a good opticians in Hong Kong?

I'm looking to replace a pair of outdated spectacles I bought in New York a few years ago and wondered whether it was better to get them in the UK or pick up a pair during my visit to HK in March

Not been to HK before but will be staying in Causeway Bay area in case there are any good ones in the vicinity

Also on the lookout for some quality shades (Maui Jims) if anybody can recommend anywhere.

Would prefer real deal as opposed to fakes!

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

BD

Desert Dweller Jan 24th 2006 12:08 am

Re: Hong Kong - Opticians

Bobby, you'll be tripping over them here!

Many friends have done the same as you- bought on their way through and not regretted it.

paddythepilot Jan 24th 2006 1:00 am

There are just sooooo many Opticians here - just walk out of your hotel and you'll find em everywhere!

Good quality, reasonable prices - too much choice!

Don't forget to get your new glasses BEFORE you head up The Peak for the views!

Cheers & enjoy!

BobbyDazzler Jan 24th 2006 8:01 am

Originally Posted by paddythepilot
There are just sooooo many Opticians here - just walk out of your hotel and you'll find em everywhere!

Good quality, reasonable prices - too much choice!

Don't forget to get your new glasses BEFORE you head up The Peak for the views!

Cheers & enjoy!

Awesome!

Are there any you particularly recommend or would advise to avoid?

Any 'ropey' shopping areas I should be aware of where the goods are either poor quality, overpriced or both??!!

I'm also on the lookout for a zoom lens for my SLR camera so I guess there'll be plenty of choice there too???

Thanks for the info

BD

Desert Dweller Jan 24th 2006 8:35 am

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
I'm also on the lookout for a zoom lens for my SLR camera so I guess there'll be plenty of choice there too???

Thanks for the info

BD

Check out www.geoexpat.com for more info on cameras. Do a search and you'll get loads of recent info on bodies, lenses etc.

paddythepilot Jan 24th 2006 11:18 am

I personally use 'the optical shop' which isn't too bad - you'll find em all over the place!

They need about 4-5 days to make the lenses - so make sure youn have time.

As for shopping - avoid buying any electrical products in Tsimshatsui - total rip off! Go to a proper store such as 'Fortress' which is a bit like Dicksons in the UK and you get a fixed price with a proper warranty etc.

Causeway Bay is very good for shopping, lots of good places to eat and you should make sure you go into 'Sogo' which is a good Japanese store.

You are most welcome to PM me and I can offer more information if you need.

Cheers from a quite 'chilly' today Hong Kong.