Hong Kong or New York?

Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hong Kong or New York?

Originally Posted by queenie
Well...now that you mention it....

I was wondering about Country Clubs. Are they still the in thing for ex-pats? I found one called Aberdeen Marina Club or something similar but the joiing fees were about $250K OZ. Then you pay a monthly fee too. Surely this can not be right? Can you recommend anywhere cheaper?

Thanks again
Queenie

Hi Queenie

The country club, golf club and Hk club are all v nice but v pricey and bit elitist. You are better off joining the HK cricket club or football club. Both are great, have brilliant facilities, relaxed atmosphere and are full of lovely people.

http://www.hkcc.org/
www.hkfc.com.hk

If you are good at a particular sport you can join that way, become a junior member, visitor, lots of ways to join and pay less. Just contact them and see what they advise.

You don't have to join one to meet expats or do things - there are heaps of other opportunities and plenty of facilities in HK for sport, meeting people etc.
But they can become a part of your life, helping you meet to people, being a home away from home etc. If you can afford to I'd join one.

If you move to Discovery Bay then there's a great club house there, and wherever you live may have facilities.

They don't have similar clubs here in the UK, how about in Aus?

P
Old Mar 10th 2005, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Queenie

Me again, just thought you may find the info on this URL helpful
http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/default.asp

Parker
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Nice site, thanks Parker!

Originally Posted by Parker
Hi Queenie

Me again, just thought you may find the info on this URL helpful
http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/default.asp

Parker
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

That story blew me away a bit. I will cross country club off the liist and look into sports clubs.

Cheers
Queenie

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The country clubs are still as exclusive as they have always been. While I don't know the going rate for Aberdeen Marina, it sounds about right. And there is a long waiting list to go with that as well. Also like all other country clubs, you have to be nominated by a few members, etc. Oh let me dig out the homepage for you...

Aberdeen Marina Club

The HK Golf Club remains the most exclusive of all, it took one of my friends' husband close to 20 years to get into it. He was a junior member for a long time and applied for full time membership when he was 18, got in when his own children were 8/6 years old! :scared: He was so happy that he and his family threw a party to celebrate the occasion.

I can't think of any country club that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... However I don't think you'll need to be member to use some of the facilities, e.g. the golf clubs. You just pay lots for it each time. If you are member of a club in Sydney, you can check if they have any reciprocal clubs in Hong Kong? Or perhaps the company your husband works for may have corporate memberships at some of the clubs, for example, the Jockey Club, the biggest of all clubs?

Another thing is you don't have to be at a country club if you want to meet up with other expat families. You'll meet some through your children's school, or at bars/restaurants frequented by expats. I think these country clubs are more a status symbol than anything. There are lots of other ways to spend the weekends/free time. The public sports and recreational facilities are plentiful.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Parker,

I have looked at those sites and they both look pretty good. Unfortunately, we would not be able to join via being good at a sport as we are pretty much useless. I have emailed them for more details.

In Oz they have Golf Clubs and most have extra facilities too ie gym, pool and a cafe and restaurant. I have heard of one such Country Club in Sydney but have no details to pass on. The lawn bowling clubs seem to be really popular with young people too these days. They have entertainment on the weekends and serve cheap lunches and alcohol and have some gambling too.
Also the RSL (retired servicemen leagues) clubs are still pretty big. They are similar to the bowling clubs but a bit fancier (but some are horrid). Some local footbal clubs (you don't need to play) are also popular with kids entertainment and cheap (and in my opinion revolting) food (ie worse than Debenhams restaurant at 3pm Saturday).

Another quick question if I may Parker and Mrs JTL, why is Mid Levels so reasonably priced? (I am on the PC for hours a day trying to research everything at once)

Queenie

Originally Posted by Parker
Hi Queenie

The country club, golf club and Hk club are all v nice but v pricey and bit elitist. You are better off joining the HK cricket club or football club. Both are great, have brilliant facilities, relaxed atmosphere and are full of lovely people.

http://www.hkcc.org/
www.hkfc.com.hk

If you are good at a particular sport you can join that way, become a junior member, visitor, lots of ways to join and pay less. Just contact them and see what they advise.

You don't have to join one to meet expats or do things - there are heaps of other opportunities and plenty of facilities in HK for sport, meeting people etc.
But they can become a part of your life, helping you meet to people, being a home away from home etc. If you can afford to I'd join one.

If you move to Discovery Bay then there's a great club house there, and wherever you live may have facilities.

They don't have similar clubs here in the UK, how about in Aus?

P
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi Parker,

I have looked at those sites and they both look pretty good. Unfortunately, we would not be able to join via being good at a sport as we are pretty much useless. I have emailed them for more details.

In Oz they have Golf Clubs and most have extra facilities too ie gym, pool and a cafe and restaurant. I have heard of one such Country Club in Sydney but have no details to pass on. The lawn bowling clubs seem to be really popular with young people too these days. They have entertainment on the weekends and serve cheap lunches and alcohol and have some gambling too.
Also the RSL (retired servicemen leagues) clubs are still pretty big. They are similar to the bowling clubs but a bit fancier (but some are horrid). Some local footbal clubs (you don't need to play) are also popular with kids entertainment and cheap (and in my opinion revolting) food (ie worse than Debenhams restaurant at 3pm Saturday).

Another quick question if I may Parker and Mrs JTL, why is Mid Levels so reasonably priced? (I am on the PC for hours a day trying to research everything at once)

Queenie
Hi Queenie

Thank you for the information!

Not sure about the Midlevels re prices I must say. I knew and know people in the Midlevels, but most were in government flats or flats paid for by their companies, so no idea on how much they cost. Some were lovely and big, others less so. It is rather built up round the cheaper flats, not much view or land/outside space. Good transport and close to Central though.

Glad the site was useful.

Parker
Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:38 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yaya
Hi all! I am having a small dilemma here! I am living in London at present and my boyfriend and I would like to move to either New York or Hong Kong for couple of years with work. Only problem is that we can't make my mind up! We love both but never actually lived and worked in either..
Any views/advise/comments?

thanks guys!!!
New York has probably everything you could want I would think, history,dining, art, theatre, shopping,a great base to explore the eastern seaboard of the US from.

Hong Kong would be a very real culture treat though. can appreciate why its a tuffie for you. Im envious you have the choice !!!

I wouldn't make the focal reason money. i'd make it what clicks for you inside.

And as we are all different, you will get countless opinons. In the end I'd say go with whatever one appeals more from within.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Queenie,

Are you looking at Mid-Levels West or Mid-Levels Central?

Mid-Levels West - area south-west of the Bontanical Garden
Some of the main streets are Robinson Road, Conduit Road, Caine Road, Castle Road, Bonham Road, Park Road, etc. There are a lot of new (<15 years) large apartment blocks, buildings are taller and closer together. Hence it's usually more reasonably priced than Mid-Levels Central.

Mid-Levels Central - area south and south-east of the Bontanical Garden
Main Streets - Kennedy Road, Macdonnell Road, Bowen Road, Old Peak Road, Tregunter Path, May Road, etc. Buildings are slightly older than Mid-Level West. The area is generally considered more exclusive.

Somehow in the past 10 or 20 years, people (probably the real estate agents) started naming certain areas south of Wanchai, Causeway Bay and North Point, the Mid-Levels East, basically any area on a hill east of Mid-Levels Central. There are some very nice apartments and some more modest ones.

Traditionally when people used to refer to the Mid-Levels, they would be talking about Mid-Levels Central. The area was and still is associated with wealth, good schools, and a larger expat community.

Generally speaking, in Mid-Levels Central, the older apartments are rented from $20/sqft/month, the newer ones with residences' club and swimming pool, etc, can go up to as high as $50/sqft/month. :scared: The price varies a great deal depending on location, age of building, facilities, high/low floor, harbour/hill view, etc. The older apartments tend to have higher ceilings, 9+ ft high, whereas the new ones may be just a little over 8ft.

Have you got the street addresses or building names? How big are the apartments (sq ft)? Number of rooms? I still know most of the residential streets, and if not, I can find out very quickly for you if it's a good building/street, or if it's worth the rent.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Mar 13th 2005 at 10:39 am.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the wonderful information on HK guys. I am starting to feel guilty over your efforts to help me...

Anyway I have plenty of info to chew over for a few days, but watch this space...

Queenie

Hi Queenie,

Are you looking at Mid-Levels West or Mid-Levels Central?

Mid-Levels West - area south-west of the Bontanical Garden
Some of the main streets are Robinson Road, Conduit Road, Caine Road, Castle Road, Bonham Road, Park Road, etc. There are a lot of new (<15 years) large apartment blocks, buildings are taller and closer together. Hence it's usually more reasonably priced than Mid-Levels Central.

Mid-Levels Central - area south and south-east of the Bontanical Garden
Main Streets - Kennedy Road, Macdonnell Road, Bowen Road, Old Peak Road, Tregunter Path, May Road, etc. Buildings are slightly older than Mid-Level West. The area is generally considered more exclusive.

Somehow in the past 10 or 20 years, people (probably the real estate agents) started naming certain areas south of Wanchai, Causeway Bay and North Point, the Mid-Levels East, basically any area on a hill east of Mid-Levels Central. There are some very nice apartments and some more modest ones.

Traditionally when people used to refer to the Mid-Levels, they would be talking about Mid-Levels Central. The area was and still is associated with wealth, good schools, and a larger expat community.

Generally speaking, in Mid-Levels Central, the older apartments are rented from $20/sqft/month, the newer ones with residences' club and swimming pool, etc, can go up to as high as $50/sqft/month. :scared: The price varies a great deal depending on location, age of building, facilities, high/low floor, harbour/hill view, etc. The older apartments tend to have higher ceilings, 9+ ft high, whereas the new ones may be just a little over 8ft.

Have you got the street addresses or building names? How big are the apartments (sq ft)? Number of rooms? I still know most of the residential streets, and if not, I can find out very quickly for you if it's a good building/street, or if it's worth the rent.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the wonderful information on HK guys. I am starting to feel guilty over your efforts to help me...

Anyway I have plenty of info to chew over for a few days, but watch this space...

Queenie
It's no problem, Queenie. JTL and I have been getting lots of help and advice in getting ourselves set up here in Brisbane from various posters on the forum, so it's just a little paying back so to speak. He stirs up trouble occasionally so I'm just trying to be the good guy/person to balance out our contribution a bit!

I grew up in HK and love the city. Couldn't you tell? My only complaints are the air pollution and the over-crowded. But then again it's the same in all the major cities around the world. It's not the place for everyone but if you go with an open mind you'll have lots to gain.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mrs JTL and Parker,

Have either of you heard anything about Kiangsu and Chekiang school?
http://www.kcis.edu.hk/home.htm

It is the only 1 out of the 30 odd schools I have contacted that has places for both my kids. Actually there are 2 others, American International (hubby is anti-american and says no) and Yew Chung to which my wallet says no (nearly 300K a year).

Hope you can help

Queenie

It's no problem, Queenie. JTL and I have been getting lots of help and advice in getting ourselves set up here in Brisbane from various posters on the forum, so it's just a little paying back so to speak. He stirs up trouble occasionally so I'm just trying to be the good guy/person to balance out our contribution a bit!

I grew up in HK and love the city. Couldn't you tell? My only complaints are the air pollution and the over-crowded. But then again it's the same in all the major cities around the world. It's not the place for everyone but if you go with an open mind you'll have lots to gain.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Mrs JTL and Parker,

Have either of you heard anything about Kiangsu and Chekiang school?
http://www.kcis.edu.hk/home.htm

It is the only 1 out of the 30 odd schools I have contacted that has places for both my kids. Actually there are 2 others, American International (hubby is anti-american and says no) and Yew Chung to which my wallet says no (nearly 300K a year).

Hope you can help

Queenie
Hi Queenie,

Kiangsu and Chekiang is very good for primary school and kindergarten. My knowledge of the school is limited to the time before they started an international section. The primary teachers were of very high standard when I knew the school. However their secondary school no longer has the good reputation that it used to have. Luckily your kids are young and I assume you're not looking into secondary school just yet?! They'll have quite an interesting cultural experience, because unlike the international schools in HK, K&C doesn't have much of an expat crowd.

K&C differs from other local schools in that they use Mandarin rather than Cantonese as the Chinese teaching language. The children there speak both dialects - might be a bit confusing for your little ones but it'll be fun too I would imagine.

Yew Chung is a very new and elite school, charging absurd fees. They have a branch in Beijing, and perhaps in Shanghai too. Kids who attend the school nearly all come in their chauffer (or mum/dad)-driven Benz and Lexus... The kids there are just way too precious! Not the type of school for my kids if and when I have any. May be I'm just jealous...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL