HK or Toronto

Old Jan 12th 2014, 1:11 am
Just Joined

toniochen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HK or Toronto

Hi,

I have been offered a position and I can either choose to take it in Toronto or in Hong Kong and I was curious to get people's view on which city they would choose. I have previously visited HK and lived in China however never visited in Canada although lived in the US for a few years. I am married and I have a 2 y.o. son.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions,

John
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:42 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HK or Toronto

Here are few knocks against Hong Kong with young children:

1) Air pollution. For children, especially at the ages < 5, growing up in Hong Kong can have an effect on their still developing lungs. Asthma rates in Hong Kong have gone up considerably in the last decade or so, and the pollution levels are rather annoying during certain parts of the year.

2) International school. If you are looking (in about 18-24 months) to get your child into an international school, you will be looking at a considerable expense not to mention a bit of a juggle to find a place. This can be a negative to young families who are seeking to maintain say a 'UK-based curriculum' or a 'US-based school system'. If you want to go local you'll have more options, but you'll also need to get started on the Cantonese lessons.

3) Expense. Will you get a package or a salary adjustment living in HK over Toronto? If it is the same amount in either place, your money will likely go further in Canada than it does here.

That said, there are plenty of us living here in Hong Kong with you children for the opportunities and excitement that the city does have to offer. I think another thing you should consider is your career growth and long term plans. If you are working in finance, then Hong Kong, being one of the top financial centers in the world, is probably going to push you up a notch on the finance career ladder more so than Toronto. Is this is a 'last gasp before we settle down' kind of assignment or are you looking at this as a 'try before buy' assignment before a permanent relocation?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:11 am
Just Joined

BradClark is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was me making the decision the only one important factor I would care about is air quality. Short term I wouldn't worry too much about living in HK. But if you are going to be there for a decent period of time, I'd be giving it some serious thought.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

w1zdak1d is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Toronto but have worked in Hong Kong for 4 months before as a summer student (I also have family from HK).

The choice really comes down to lifestyle preference. I personally enjoy Toronto much more as the culture and way of living suits my upbringing. Hong Kong is very fun though and has great food. A huge negative for me about Hong Kong was how hot it could be.