Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Old Mar 13th 2016, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

kariym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Originally Posted by taiwan_girl
Do you need to have an expat package to move to HK, or would you be willing to have a modified expat package or local package? I know some companies (maybe yours) would give you a job in HK, but you would be responsible for your own living expenses, etc. Maybe that is something you could look into. That way, you would be able to stay with the same company, and also be in HK.
Hi taiwan_girl. My name is Kariym, I noticed you could put a user in touch with some companies. I am aiming to move to Hong Kong in the next few months, however I am not sure where to start.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 13th 2016 at 10:10 pm. Reason: NO personal emails on the open forums please
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost

I did notice that a lot of the expats, and especially the white Western ones, didn't seem at all integrated with the local population though.

Obviously I'm not making any assumptions about you there and please don't think that I am but the locals seemed very distanced from the expats and I didn't hear any of the expats speaking in Cantonese.
You raise is an interesting subject often discussed by the expat community here.

The biggest hurdle to integration is language. There are expats that have picked up Cantonese but they are few and between. Unfortunately despite undertaking to do so on several occasions I have failed to master the language.

There is also a lot of history to consider with Hong Kong being a recent ex colony. As a result Hong Kong is extremely diverse. It does not comprise of just locals and white expats, far from it. There are people of all races and religions and skin colour. I remember a school teacher telling me that in his class of 28 children there were 21 different nationalities !

I am friends with locals and and with expats living here from other parts of the world, as are the rest of my family and as are (I would say) most of the longer term expat community living in Hong Kong.

Last edited by hong_konger; Mar 14th 2016 at 5:33 am.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

A mate of mine had been in HK for 15 plus years was married to a local and had two kids.

He'd never eaten any chinese food at all or anything else but good ol' english grub.

He was from Yorkshire though.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:35 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger
You raise is an interesting subject often discussed by the expat community here.

The biggest hurdle to integration is language. There are expats that have picked up Cantonese but they are few and between. Unfortunately despite undertaking to do so on several occasions I have failed to master the language.

There is also a lot of history to consider with Hong Kong being a recent ex colony. As a result Hong Kong is extremely diverse. It does not comprise of just locals and white expats, far from it. There are people of all races and religions and skin colour. I remember a school teacher telling me that in his class of 28 children there were 21 different nationalities !

I am friends with locals and and with expats living here from other parts of the world, as are the rest of my family and as are (I would say) most of the longer term expat community living in Hong Kong.
To be fair, it might just be my perception. The majority of my time in Asia has been spent in Japan (OH is Japanese) and since Japan is much closer to being mono-cultural than probably anywhere else in East Asia apart from Korea, not being able to communicate in even basic Japanese there is pretty much like being a leper. There are occasional exceptions made for seasonal workers and short-term foreign language teachers etc but even they need to learn Japanese if they want to in any way integrate with the local population.

What I noticed in HK was very different to that but as you say HK is a much more diverse place and has a very different history. The TV news that I watched there seemed to suggest that modern Hong Kongers are far more concerned with keeping the mainland Chinese at bay than they are about non-integrating foreigners from India, the Philippines and the West.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:36 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
A mate of mine had been in HK for 15 plus years was married to a local and had two kids.

He'd never eaten any chinese food at all or anything else but good ol' english grub.

He was from Yorkshire though.
I honestly can never understand why people do that. I've tried the occasional bit of English food overseas when I've been feeling homesick but it never tastes quite the same as it does in the UK anyway.

Kind of almost defeats the point of living in a different country IMHO.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Inspired2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
IMO you don't want to go to HK without a job offer.
It'll be like standing under a cold shower throwing £50 notes down the drain.

I heard that may actually be worthwhile though if I can't source anything while I'm still in the UK. Though, yes it is too risky with the cost.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Inspired2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Have you been to HK, If not why do want to go there?
Daft question maybe but maybe better to take a package tour there, have a look around and you still like it, get a job that will take you there.

Been to Singapore and loved it, and I think HK would be even more my kind of place. Not been there yet though...
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inspired2015
I heard that may actually be worthwhile though if I can't source anything while I'm still in the UK. Though, yes it is too risky with the cost.
If you are going to stay in a top hotel and eat in the most expensive restaurants then yes it will of course be pricey. But you can live very cheaply in Hong Kong, if you really have to. There are boarding houses which cost next to nothing and reasonably priced food outlets everywhere.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:48 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by hong_konger
There are boarding houses which cost next to nothing and reasonably priced food outlets everywhere.
There definitely is cheap food there but the hotels there are extremely overpriced IMHO. When I looked they were more expensive than Tokyo but the quality and cleanliness was nowhere near as good.