Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Inspired2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Hi all,

I am a British citizen trying to move to Hong Kong. I currently work for a global investment bank and was extremely close to getting an internal move over there with work, unfortunately though due to cost this didn’t go ahead as this MD didn’t approve it. I have also looked at other roles internally but due to high local competition these roles are going very fast. This, in conjunction with the extra cost of my company having to relocate me, it’s looking less likely that I will be able to get something there internally.

Given the above, I think I have several potential options:

· Try and get a move internally with my company (definitely my preferred option as I would like to stay working with them)

· While still in the UK, try and get a role at another company in HK.

· Stay in London for now, leave my current job to become a contractor and save money, then go HK with enough money saved up, and try and get a role as a contractor over there.

· Stay in London for now, leave my current job to become a contractor and save money, then go to HK and try and get a permanent role.

What are people’s thoughts? Any ideas about how easy it is for a company to sponsor you for a work visa in HK and what would you recommend I do in my position?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a job in HK from the UK?

Hello there and welcome to the forum

I've shifted your topic into the Hong Kong section as you're more likely to get a response in there.

Unfortunately I cannot help you as I am a retired layabout in Malaysia.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

IMO you don't want to go to HK without a job offer.
It'll be like standing under a cold shower throwing £50 notes down the drain.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 3:35 am
Just Joined

anthk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex reg
IMO you don't want to go to HK without a job offer.
It'll be like standing under a cold shower throwing £50 notes down the drain.
per minute.

but yeah
get a job first.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are young enough, you can consider the Hong Kong Working Holiday Visa Scheme.

Working Holiday Scheme | Immigration Department
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to HK, If not why do want to go there?
Daft question maybe but maybe better to take a package tour there, have a look around and you still like it, get a job that will take you there.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need to have an expat package to move to HK, or would you be willing to have a modified expat package or local package? I know some companies (maybe yours) would give you a job in HK, but you would be responsible for your own living expenses, etc. Maybe that is something you could look into. That way, you would be able to stay with the same company, and also be in HK.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between Expat packages and local package has become much closer over the years such that it has become difficult to tell which is better.

The traditional Expat package for someone being transferred from their Western office to Hong Hong was based on their existing western salary (low) plus an overseas uplift plus a housing allowance, flights and medical etc. Other added benefits depended on seniority such as car, driver, domestic help etc. With a local package you basically get just a salary.

When the company I worked for decided that everyone was going to be on a local package the above benefits were totted up and the local salary given was the equivalent or even slightly better.

So my point is don't get hung up over what they call the package. There are poor Expat packages and there are very good local packages.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Have you been to HK, If not why do want to go there?
Daft question maybe but maybe better to take a package tour there, have a look around and you still like it, get a job that will take you there.
Agreed, I always loved the idea of HK until I actually went there and then I mostly couldn't wait to leave.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

First time I went to HK for a 5 day holiday when I was working in Sarawak.
I didn't like HK at all.

When I eventually got offered a job there I was very dubious.

But I loved it as did the missus.

Horses for courses.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
First time I went to HK for a 5 day holiday when I was working in Sarawak.
I didn't like HK at all.

When I eventually got offered a job there I was very dubious.

But I loved it as did the missus.

Horses for courses.
Yeah maybe I would just need to spend more time there. The hygiene issue was a big one for me though and I think it would take me a long time to get over that.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Yeah maybe I would just need to spend more time there. The hygiene issue was a big one for me though and I think it would take me a long time to get over that.
You don't appear to have enjoyed your time in Hong Kong. I have been here over 15 years and have seen people come and go and/or stay. Its one of those places that you either love or hate, often at the same time ! I find that so much depends on your personal circumstances on whether you like it here or hate it. If you are here with your family and the wife likes it and makes friend and the kids like their school and you enjoy your job then obviously you are more likely to have a positive experience.

What particular hygiene issues are you referring to ? Things improved dramatically after SARS in 2003.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:44 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by hong_konger
You don't appear to have enjoyed your time in Hong Kong. I have been here over 15 years and have seen people come and go and/or stay. Its one of those places that you either love or hate, often at the same time ! I find that so much depends on your personal circumstances on whether you like it here or hate it. If you are here with your family and the wife likes it and makes friend and the kids like their school and you enjoy your job then obviously you are more likely to have a positive experience.

What particular hygiene issues are you referring to ? Things improved dramatically after SARS in 2003.
The fact that there is a lot of rubbish lying around and the relaxed attitude to cleanliness that most businesses (including restaurants) seemed to have.

I really didn't like how the same people handled cash and raw meat at the street food stands as well and that meant that I couldn't eat at any of them unfortunately.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
The fact that there is a lot of rubbish lying around and the relaxed attitude to cleanliness that most businesses (including restaurants) seemed to have.

I really didn't like how the same people handled cash and raw meat at the street food stands as well and that meant that I couldn't eat at any of them unfortunately.
What a bizarre impression you got. How long did you live in Hong Kong and where on earth did you live ? In all my time here I have never been tempted to buy food from those "illegal" street hawkers.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 9:54 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by hong_konger
What a bizarre impression you got. How long did you live in Hong Kong and where on earth did you live ? In all my time here I have never been tempted to buy food from those "illegal" street hawkers.
I didn't live there. I was just there for 5 days on a round trip from Tokyo. I stayed in Kowloon.

I did notice that a lot of the expats, and especially the white Western ones, didn't seem at all integrated with the local population though.

Obviously I'm not making any assumptions about you there and please don't think that I am but the locals seemed very distanced from the expats and I didn't hear any of the expats speaking in Cantonese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.