Finding a job in Hong Kong

Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Andy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really nice
Default Re: Finding a job in Hong Kong

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Steady on Julie, no experience and new to the network.....the OP may well have a lot of problems. There are places which will sponsor you, yes, and I certainly hope you manage to land on your feet and find one, but don't for a second think it will be 'no problem'.
Dear Desert Dweller

I know I am new to this forum and I have not yet established a network. As far as my experience goes I have Diplomas in Management and Marketing Management graduating with High Credit, as well as over 5 years experience working with senior management in a PA / EA role for multinational companies as well as experience in Project Coordination and some Project Management experience. I am also about to start my Business Degree majoring in International Business Management.

I am aware that it will be nearly impossible for me to find a company that will sponsor me as an EA but I love HK, and therefore am trying to find other avenues. Nothing venture nothing gained.

Thank you for your comments and it’s always good to have a realist around to keep you grounded

Thank you
A
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:12 am
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road

Steady on Julie, no experience and new to the network.....the OP may well have a lot of problems. There are places which will sponsor you, yes, and I certainly hope you manage to land on your feet and find one, but don't for a second think it will be 'no problem'.
Hi Dessert Dweller

OK I just don't want to put off someone who really wants to go abroad, there is enough people in the U.K probably doing that, I think if at first you are not too fussy, with a teaching cert you can find work here even if at first its just with a teaching agency just to get some experience under your belt.

julie
Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:39 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbc
Hi Dessert Dweller

OK I just don't want to put off someone who really wants to go abroad, there is enough people in the U.K probably doing that, I think if at first you are not too fussy, with a teaching cert you can find work here even if at first its just with a teaching agency just to get some experience under your belt.

julie
Totally agree, but to come to Hong Kong expecting to step into an English teaching role and get sponsorship could cause serious heartache.
With a TEFL qualification you will be able to get work fairly easily, though you wont get much choice of hours and location. You will 99.9% not get sponsorship- though there are always places who can offer it. Beware gifts disguised as trojan horses or whatever the phrase is- yo0u could get locked into a contract you do not want for the sake of sponsorship! As you build this experience you will be able to find a better school or ask for better timings at your current school.
My wife is a teacher here and a lot of our social circle includes teachers of varying degrees so I hope I can be of some use!

And Julie, though i may look like a bit of a pudding, I am a Desert dweller, not a Dessert Dweller!
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:54 am
cbc
Forum Regular

Totally agree, but to come to Hong Kong expecting to step into an English teaching role and get sponsorship could cause serious heartache.
With a TEFL qualification you will be able to get work fairly easily, though you wont get much choice of hours and location. You will 99.9% not get sponsorship- though there are always places who can offer it. Beware gifts disguised as trojan horses or whatever the phrase is- yo0u could get locked into a contract you do not want for the sake of sponsorship! As you build this experience you will be able to find a better school or ask for better timings at your current school.
My wife is a teacher here and a lot of our social circle includes teachers of varying degrees so I hope I can be of some use!

And Julie, though i may look like a bit of a pudding, I am a Desert dweller, not a Dessert Dweller!
Hi Desert Dweller
I agree with you.

As much as it did make me laugh I did not do that on purpose.
as you can see I have not got a TEFL.
Regards
Julie
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:49 am
Just Joined

jaykayhk is an unknown quantity at this point

I second that, actually it can be very difficult to get a work visa from a private company, which is who you would be working for with a TEFL. Working visa's for these jobs would normally only be granted for 6 months - 1 year initially.

On a working holiday visa you would need to change employers every 3 months which makes it more difficult although not impossible once you have built your own network.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:47 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jaykayhk
I second that, actually it can be very difficult to get a work visa from a private company, which is who you would be working for with a TEFL. Working visa's for these jobs would normally only be granted for 6 months - 1 year initially.

On a working holiday visa you would need to change employers every 3 months which makes it more difficult although not impossible once you have built your own network.
If you're interested in teaching, try:

www.esf.edu.hk

or

www.wsi.edu.hk

As for visa sponsorships, I know that they've recently been harder to find. The last person I know who got one (for a position at a magazine) got screwed over by their employer. It took them 2/3 months to wrangle it out of the company and their contract was less than satisfactory.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Andy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really niceAndy 24 is just really nice

Hi

Thank you to all who have responded to my post. I’ve decided that it would be too hard to find a position in HK especially without teaching experience. So I have decided to go to Shanghai and teach English for Business for a year.

Thank you
A
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:56 am
cbc
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andy 24
Hi

Thank you to all who have responded to my post. I’ve decided that it would be too hard to find a position in HK especially without teaching experience. So I have decided to go to Shanghai and teach English for Business for a year.

Thank you
A
Wishing you all the best

CBC