Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Electgrical good from Hong kong ????

Electgrical good from Hong kong ????

Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice
Default Electgrical good from Hong kong ????

Hi everyone ,

We are moving to OZ in August 09 . We are stopping over in Hong Kong for 4 days at the harbour Plaza kowloon cant wait . Hubby and 2 kids 5 and 6 !! Any ideas for a stress free break pls would be welcome !!!

Also we really need a new camera,lap top and mobile ....does any one know if they have uk instructions in them ??? As we cant speak chinees! And I am hoping they are a lot cheaper ????

Thanks in advance

Goosefat xx
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electgrical good from Hong kong ????

You can probably get all your manuals in English online. I bought a camera in Japan many years ago and did just that.

You can also write the manufacturer to ask for the English manual. I did that, too.

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Sony Vaio laptop there 2 years ago and the instruction manual was in English. The laptop came with 3 different electrical plug leads for different countries PLUS I got a free laptop case thrown in. I got a great deal and saved about £500 over UK prices.

I would recommend that you purchase an International warranty to cover you wherever you live.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice
Default Re: elecrical goods from Hong kong ????

Hi ,

Thanks everyone thats all good news I will be doing some spending then !!

Goosefat
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

you can get everything you want from Fortress electrical stores in Hong Kong. If you are buying a laptop, be sure to specify the it has English windows loaded.they also sell mobiles but you can check out their website for your self
http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/..._ref=MILESTONE
I strong recomend that you avoid the camera shops in Tsim Sha Tsui as the have a very bad reputation for ripping off tourists.
Hong Kong electrical appliances have the same 3 pin Plugs as the UK but you will need an adaptor for use in Australia

Last edited by dunmovin; Jun 17th 2009 at 10:25 am.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Tanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunmovin
you can get everything you want from Fortress electrical stores in Hong Kong. If you are buying a laptop, be sure to specify the it has English windows loaded.they also sell mobiles but you can check out their website for your self
http://www.fortress.com.hk/fortress/..._ref=MILESTONE
I strong recomend that you avoid the camera shops in Tsim Sha Tsui as the have a very bad reputation for ripping off tourists.
Hong Kong electrical appliances have the same 3 pin Plugs as the UK but you will need an adaptor for use in Australia
Thanks will check it out when i,m over in October, looking for a good cheap lap top.Thanks for the web site aswell.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:11 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The only rub with buying a laptop (or any electronics actually) in Hong Kong is the warranty. It *might* be limited to HK only, or to China only and not a 'Worldwide' warranty (it varies by manufacturer, store, product, etc). You'll need to check on that, especially as laptops are statistically somewhat likely to have a problem at one time or another in their life.

Fortress is the big brand name store. I think the other was called Broadway. There is a store in the Time Square mall in Causeway Bay up on the 8th floor or so where both stores are right next to each other so you can comparison shop.

If you really know your gadgets, I'd also recommend the Wan Chai Computer Mart, right on top of the Wan Chai subway station. It's like a giant flea market of computers and electronics. It's really something worth seeing, especially if you love gadgets.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The only rub with buying a laptop (or any electronics actually) in Hong Kong is the warranty. It *might* be limited to HK only, or to China only and not a 'Worldwide' warranty (it varies by manufacturer, store, product, etc). You'll need to check on that, especially as laptops are statistically somewhat likely to have a problem at one time or another in their life.

Fortress is the big brand name store. I think the other was called Broadway. There is a store in the Time Square mall in Causeway Bay up on the 8th floor or so where both stores are right next to each other so you can comparison shop.

If you really know your gadgets, I'd also recommend the Wan Chai Computer Mart, right on top of the Wan Chai subway station. It's like a giant flea market of computers and electronics. It's really something worth seeing, especially if you love gadgets.
there is also the Golden Centre in ShamSui Po
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Tanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really niceTanky Tony is just really nice

Thanks for the info everybody,great advice,great forum;;;;;
Old Jul 19th 2009, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Vile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the roughVile is a jewel in the rough

I'll echo the recommendations for Fortress, and stick to branded goods with an international warranty. You probably want to stay away from the small shops in Mongkok, Tsim Sha Tsui or Sham Shui Po unles you're [u]really[/i] sure of yourself. The computer centre in Wan Chai is good, but it's 'buyer beware' - unless you know your stuff you may end up with a lemon, and if you're a tourist you can't come back for an exchange.

As for prices, they're ok but not that much cheaper unless you happen to catch a sale or you buy a brand which is just going 'out of fashion' - Hong Kong is notoriously fickle when it comes to electronics, it always follows the latest trend (just behind Japan). Even if that trend is a big flop, like VCDs or laserdiscs!

And do remember to bargain, even in Fortress - they actually have a list of how much the prices for different products are marked up, and they can go down as far as a fixed 'real' price. If you bargain, you pay the real price, if you don't, you're being overcharged!

Now, as for a "stress-free break" - sorry, can't help you there, this is HONG KONG !!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vile
I'll echo the recommendations for Fortress, and stick to branded goods with an international warranty. You probably want to stay away from the small shops in Mongkok, Tsim Sha Tsui or Sham Shui Po unles you're [u]really[/i] sure of yourself. The computer centre in Wan Chai is good, but it's 'buyer beware' - unless you know your stuff you may end up with a lemon, and if you're a tourist you can't come back for an exchange.

As for prices, they're ok but not that much cheaper unless you happen to catch a sale or you buy a brand which is just going 'out of fashion' - Hong Kong is notoriously fickle when it comes to electronics, it always follows the latest trend (just behind Japan). Even if that trend is a big flop, like VCDs or laserdiscs!

And do remember to bargain, even in Fortress - they actually have a list of how much the prices for different products are marked up, and they can go down as far as a fixed 'real' price. If you bargain, you pay the real price, if you don't, you're being overcharged!

Now, as for a "stress-free break" - sorry, can't help you there, this is HONG KONG !!
Take it you still live and work there?????? mate.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I find it to be a bit of an urban myth that you'll get 'the absolute best price' on electronics or a camera 'only in Hong Kong'. Having lived there with lots of time on my hands, I was able to spec out, haggle, walk away and come back and get the lowest price offered, and then send in my wife to haggle down some more and even with all that taking place in a couple of different languages I could still go on amazon.com or some other websites and find a price in the US that was comparable or lower in many cases. I bought mainly brand name items (Canon cameras and lens, Apple computer products) so there was a bit of branding and vertical price fixing issues going on with those, but I wasn't convinced that it was the absolute dirt cheapest price you'd find anywhere on the planet.

Basically, if you know what you want, come to the table ARMED with the prices that you'll pay someplace else. Certainly don't let the guy on the other side see them, but know what it's going to cost you to buy that item if you walk out the door and purchase it at your final destination. You might get a bargain, you might not. Best to know beforehand.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by goosefat
Hi everyone ,

We are moving to OZ in August 09 . We are stopping over in Hong Kong for 4 days at the harbour Plaza kowloon cant wait . Hubby and 2 kids 5 and 6 !! Any ideas for a stress free break pls would be welcome !!!
* You could go to to Hong Kong Disney
* You could go to Ocean Park
* Take a bus over to Stanley and walk the market.
* Take a bus (or two) to the usually quiet fishing village Shek O (good Thai place there right next to the bus stop)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shek_O
* Ride the Ferry to Discovery Bay (just to see the view of the city). You can grab some McD's at the other end and come back.
* Not stress free but the kids will love it if you pick up a double decker tram and let them sit in the front seat of the top car as it crawls through Central Hong Kong.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
FWIW, I find it to be a bit of an urban myth that you'll get 'the absolute best price' on electronics or a camera 'only in Hong Kong'. Having lived there with lots of time on my hands, I was able to spec out, haggle, walk away and come back and get the lowest price offered, and then send in my wife to haggle down some more and even with all that taking place in a couple of different languages I could still go on amazon.com or some other websites and find a price in the US that was comparable or lower in many cases. I bought mainly brand name items (Canon cameras and lens, Apple computer products) so there was a bit of branding and vertical price fixing issues going on with those, but I wasn't convinced that it was the absolute dirt cheapest price you'd find anywhere on the planet.

Basically, if you know what you want, come to the table ARMED with the prices that you'll pay someplace else. Certainly don't let the guy on the other side see them, but know what it's going to cost you to buy that item if you walk out the door and purchase it at your final destination. You might get a bargain, you might not. Best to know beforehand.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

towerbridge is an unknown quantity at this point

I find electrical goods in HK is not as cheap these days compared to the UK, especially laptops and mobile phones are even dearer here, due to a combination of exchange rate changes, more competition in the UK and more popular web buying over there.

Cameras maybe cheaper especially the higher end ones but you have to know your prices. Buy from normal high street shops here and you should have both English and Chinese manuals.