Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Which area do I choose to live in Hong Kong ? Please Help!!

Which area do I choose to live in Hong Kong ? Please Help!!

Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

mejulie9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Which area do I choose to live in Hong Kong ? Please Help!!

Hi

This is the first time i've ever posted on this site so i'll be really happy if you could give me any advise . I will be moving to Hong Kong due to relocation with my husbands job. I have a 7 year old girl and would like any advise on areas to live. I've heard about Discovery Bay... what's it like?.. and is it true there are no cars?? What all that about then? I like to be on the go with plenty of shops, resturants and outdoor things to do and also am people person and love to meet new friends etc. What are the schools like? I've seen the ESF does any one know what the waiting list is like ? My hubby is over there now checking it out so any tips would be great. Thank you.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:27 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which area do I choose to live in Hong Kong ? Please Help!!

Hi mejulie9, just to say Hi and welcome to BE As you can see, I'm not in HK so any info I have will be of no use to you whatsoever. There are, however, quite a few folks on this board who are living in HK, or have lived in HK, and I'm sure you'll get some answers pretty soon.

Also, take a look through the forum at some older threads. You might find some useful info there. All the best with your move... exciting uh?
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

This board isn't very active. I see you posted a similar question on Geoexpat.com which is generating quite a few responses. As noted over there (but for the benefit of any future reader of this site) the international schools are far more of a priority than anything else at this point. The wait-lists are massive and more than a few parents have had to move to other cities or 'split the family' for a few months while they wait for a school opening. Any port in a storm is what we recommend on the other site--any school you can find and then adjust your living to be somewhere convenient for the school and for work.

fwiw Discovery Bay is cars free and requires you to take a ferry into Central every morning (if you are easily seasick this will not be fun). There is a restaurant row over there and it's a good place to raise a child as it is somewhat 'suburban' in nature without some of the zaniness of urban Hong Kong. If you want to stay on HK Island, you can also look at the "South Side" in places like Stanley, Happy Valley, and area in Midlevels Central just below the Peak (but away from the escalator and the noise/congestion over there).
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

We never lived on the island, maybe it was an age thing.

We loved it in and around Sai Kung.

Silverstand to Clearwater Bay was great.

Up on top of the hill in Fo Tan , Sha Tin was also good.

Sai Kung and Silverstrand are well away from the hub of Mid Levels etc with great views.
But most places in HK have great views.

If you want the night life etc then it's better on the island.
The places I've mentioned are quieter but not dead. Take longer to get to work but the rental cost is less and imo you get more for your money.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Hi

This board isn't very active.
Maybe you can pop in a bit more often and liven it up uh?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:20 pm
cbc
Forum Regular

cbc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Maybe you can pop in a bit more often and liven it up uh?
Hi I live in Hong Kong on and off since 1994, where u live will be up to where your husbands company can get your child into school, unless you want your child to go to a local school?? nice but not what europeans are up for!
Most expats go to DB (discovery bay) Lantau Island, where there are loads of expats and very good but expensive schools if you can get in! meaning your child, company back handers are norm here.
Or try Hong Kong side lots of brilliant schools but well pricey. it all depends what sort of ex pat deal your husband has?

Let me now more info and I will try to help you.

CBC
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

There is a very serious problem with school places in Hong Kong now and has been for some time. Check out this article on Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...lace-wait.html

In many respects where you live is of less significance when it comes to finding a place in an English speaking school unless your husband's employer has a great deal of influence with a suitable school or education provider.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:27 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I can't believe just how much the rents are in HK - £80,000 a year for a (decent) 2 bed place.

And I thought Dubai was bad?????
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

PeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud ofPeteinHongKong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kix
I can't believe just how much the rents are in HK - £80,000 a year for a (decent) 2 bed place.

And I thought Dubai was bad?????
I think you're a bit on the high side there - there are nice places available in the HK$40,000-50,000 p.m. range which is roughly £30,000-40,000. And the situation has got worse in the last couple of years as many locals have been squeezed out of the market by the very high cost of purchasing and so are opting to rent instead of buy until prices drop. Even if they are more interested in cheaper rentals this has a knock-on effect up through the market. From the landlords' viewpoint rental yields are actually not that good.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:39 am
Just Joined

MWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mejulie9
Hi

This is the first time i've ever posted on this site so i'll be really happy if you could give me any advise . I will be moving to Hong Kong due to relocation with my husbands job. I have a 7 year old girl and would like any advise on areas to live. I've heard about Discovery Bay... what's it like?.. and is it true there are no cars?? What all that about then? I like to be on the go with plenty of shops, resturants and outdoor things to do and also am people person and love to meet new friends etc. What are the schools like? I've seen the ESF does any one know what the waiting list is like ? My hubby is over there now checking it out so any tips would be great. Thank you.
I've been to HK for trips over the years. I stayed in Happy Valley and I really like it. I like elevated residence areas and living in HV gives a great view of the city and the Horseshoe track below (I'm quite sure this is the name of the place). Also the market is just a 5 minute jog down. Might want to catch a bus ride on the way up, though.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:00 am
Just Joined

ren13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Correction:
"Discovery Bay is cars free and requires you to take a ferry into Central every morning "
You have been able to take trains , buses and cars to Disco Bay for years now!There are also minibuses within DB. It is a nice place to live with children, although I do find it a bit too like Basingstoke for me. For young families there is a lot going on.
No chance with ESF I think, there is a long list.DB has a school which is quite well thought of.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:07 am
Just Joined

ren13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I cant get the edit function to work. About accommodation. I have been paying 7,300 dollars for a GF flat with garden and parking, 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, for the last 12 years. Where?
NT near Fanling. The fares into work by super efficient train service? About $1000 . Lovely fresh air, mountains and no traffic. No shops either, but it doesnt worry me, bus to the nearest shops takes 15 minutes.
Just a FYI
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

12yearson is an unknown quantity at this point

I would echo what others have said about schools - it's one of the biggest issues families with kids face on moving to HK. Severe shortage of places in the international schools. You should make that a major priority well before you even touch down in HK.

As for places to live, Discovery Bay is very popular with families as it's a little more laid back and lots of other families with kids live out there. There's a nice beach, some lovely hiking, a marina, and a plaza of shops and restaurants. The commute is only 25 mins to Central on a high speed ferry.

One thing you'll find is that some people tend to have very firm views on the relative merits of one or other area of HK, based on their own experience. Nowhere is this more true than with DB, for some reason. It can have a bit of a Truman Show-type feel to it, particularly if you compare it to parts of HK Island, but I always found it very pleasant, and I liked it a lot better after they redeveloped the central plaza.

My advice would be to focus on schools initially, since this may inform to a large degree where you live, and maybe look to live in a serviced apartment for the first little while to give you all a chance to check out HK, familiarize yourselves with areas and make a better decision on which area suits you to settle in.

Have fun! HK is a fantastic place.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mejulie9
Hi

How did you get on ? Did you move here already. Which area did you decide on on ? I think that wherever you choose you will like. Did you manage to sort out a school ?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 4:15 am
Banned

kingdavid2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

How are things going with you?HongKong is the centre of Asia,the best metropolis of china's,and also a shopping heaven.You should not have any concern over your daughter's education.Primary shools are good there.
Hope you can all enjoy your stay there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.