Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > China/Hong Kong
Reload this Page >

Advice on Move to Tutor History for 10 Months

Advice on Move to Tutor History for 10 Months

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

AndrewSeaton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Move to Tutor History for 10 Months

Hi all,

I'm aware that this kind of thread probably comes up every day...but was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on a move to HK to tutor history for 10 months?

It's with a new private tutoring company and I get paid $25k a month - with some degree of overtime pay. Is this enough to live on?

I've been looking at apartments and I've seen some that look good for about 10k per month. I would only require a one-bedroom flat, though furnishing is a must. Any advice on areas? I don't mind commuting. How long would it take to get from Kowloon to Central?

Also, does anyone know if 9-10 month rents are possible - most obviously last 12 months, but I'm there for less than that so as to (hopefully!) return to graduate study in the UK. Anyone had experience with negotiating time limits down from 12 months?

Your help is much appreciated!

Andrew
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice on Move to Tutor History for 10 Months

I would recommend a serviced apartment but check rates as I think $10k is low.
If you are only here for 10 months it is just too much hassle, you typically have to sign 1-2 year contracts with landlords and then you have to pay 2 months deposit, 1 month in advance in rent and half a months fee to the estate agent.
ON TOP of all that, you have to pay deposits for utilities and phone/TV/net contract is 24 months...lastly furnished apartments are uncommon, possibly just what the last tenant left which is usually not much.

I hope this job will sponsor a legit visa, there are a lot of scams ran by learning centers where they pay tutors illegally and if they fancy it, they will withhold pay and there is little you can do being an illegal worker.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supernoodles
I would recommend a serviced apartment but check rates as I think $10k is low.
If you are only here for 10 months it is just too much hassle, you typically have to sign 1-2 year contracts with landlords and then you have to pay 2 months deposit, 1 month in advance in rent and half a months fee to the estate agent.
ON TOP of all that, you have to pay deposits for utilities and phone/TV/net contract is 24 months...lastly furnished apartments are uncommon, possibly just what the last tenant left which is usually not much.

I hope this job will sponsor a legit visa, there are a lot of scams ran by learning centers where they pay tutors illegally and if they fancy it, they will withhold pay and there is little you can do being an illegal worker.
I agree that a serviced apartment would be your best bet. Shop around though as there are lots to choose from in many different locations with a wide range of prices.

I wouldn't worry too much about the working visa. Just make sure it says in your contract that your employer will arrange it. If they don't then they will be the ones that will be really in trouble, although technically you would be breaking the law without one. Chase them up when you get here to arrange it.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Supernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to allSupernoodles is a name known to all

It is illegal to work in HK without the appropriate visa already processed and granted, this isn't a grey area, it is quite black and white.

The worry is less about getting caught, but more if you start working illegally, you have no rights to complain if your boss starts to delay or withhold pay/holiday etc.