Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

What is needed to re-locate from London to Mexico City?

What is needed to re-locate from London to Mexico City?

Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Judgie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is needed to re-locate from London to Mexico City?

Does anyone know what are the requirements to live in Mexico with me being british?

My wife is Mexican and lived there all her life until last year when she came to the Uk, we got married and she is here on spousal visa until July 2017.

If we decided to live in Mexico would this be any advantage to us?

Presuamably I would need a visa but I wouldn't be planning on working in Mexico. We are both in our 40s so far from retirement age
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is needed to re-locate from London to Mexico City?

Originally Posted by Judgie
Does anyone know what are the requirements to live in Mexico with me being british?

My wife is Mexican and lived there all her life until last year when she came to the Uk, we got married and she is here on spousal visa until July 2017.

Presuamably I would need a visa but I wouldn't be planning on working in Mexico. We are both in our 40s so far from retirement age
Personally I would ensure you stay in the UK till she gets her UK citizenship, then you can worry about the rest.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

mikelincs -thanks for reply but I want to explore the possibilty and that would be over 4 years away
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

mikelincs -thanks for reply but I want to explore the possibilty and that would be over 4 years away
Difficult to see just what the situation will be in four years time though..

Try starting here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Mexico
Old Sep 14th 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

I meant that applying for Uk citizenship is over 4 years away, not moving to Mexico. Anyway what i was looking for was first hand experience from someone who has done it not a wiki link. Anyway thanks for trying
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Marvitodude is an unknown quantity at this point

I meant that applying for Uk citizenship is over 4 years away, not moving to Mexico. Anyway what i was looking for was first hand experience from someone who has done it not a wiki link. Anyway thanks for trying
It's a great place to move, I am considering it, spent time there myself, its incredible, and also very good if you have skills, for example I have a Celta and finding work there is not too difficult.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is mexican.I work in Canada for 6 or 7 months of the year and go back to Mexico in the winter .I was doing the 6 months tourist visa until we got married then I got the temporal residente visa for 2yrs which you can do inside Mexico being the spouse of a Mexican .After 2yrs I will get the permanante residente visa which you dont need to renew.These 2 visas cost money, the tourist visa is free,you just fill it out on the plane.
Also if you are planning on applying for the temporal residente visa you will need your birth certificate legalized in the UK.You pay and apply online and send your birth certificate to MK ,costs about 20 quid ,only takes a couple of days and you have it

Last edited by neilcumming; Mar 24th 2016 at 4:01 pm. Reason: afterthought!
Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Marvitodude
It's a great place to move, I am considering it, spent time there myself, its incredible, and also very good if you have skills, for example I have a Celta and finding work there is not too difficult.
So you've given up on the USA idea, or are you hoping to move to Mexico and then just hop across the border..
Old Mar 25th 2016, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Marvitodude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So you've given up on the USA idea, or are you hoping to move to Mexico and then just hop across the border..
Having been there a few times its a great place to go, just trying to provide some insight without being a major asshole about it, unlike others.