Update from Belize

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:20 am
Don't forget your towel

Don Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Update from Belize

Monday; In our yard, 75 miles inland, nothing much more than sporadic bouts of heavy rain and gusts, one power out, phone lines were live at all times.

The couple staying with us from Corozal set off back yesterday just after lunch after the all clear. They still have now power or piped water this afternoon (Wednesday). They said a restaurants' roof was blown off and the roof from next door landed in it's place, lucky or what. Perhaps the next storm will change it back again.

Chetumal took a good whacking, they say it was a Cat 5 when it struck land, winds in excess of 150 mph plus.

Extraordinarily, this was a dry hurricane. No reported casualties and relatively minor property damage, mostly to docks and such. Worse in Corozal, but not catastrophic.

The biggest producer's papaya crop was demolished but they have plenty of workers to get it up and running, good thing the ground is wet and good for planting right now.

It was good to get back on the torch this morning and listening to the rain chucking it down outside. The garden is smiling.

Peace and Blessings from hot & steamy San Ignacio.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update from Belize

Thanks for the update Don Pablo, I was thinking about you and yours and glad to hear you're alive and well, btw we ended up going to the little village of Puerto Morelos in the Yucatan on our way to Oz as the transport for Belize was just too complicated to organise with 2 wee kids and 1 million bags.

I think the Yucatan has had the hurricane even worse!

Buzzy
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:47 pm
Don't forget your towel

Don Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant future

Seems like it's always the poorer folks that get hit the hardest! A lot of crop damage but thankfully no casualties.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Don Pablo
Seems like it's always the poorer folks that get hit the hardest! A lot of crop damage but thankfully no casualties.
Hi Don, good to hear you everyone else is well, the hurricane must have hit you quite hard. I was in the Yucatan (Mexico, Tulum) when the last one hit. I am currently living and working in Canada and am experiencing a whole new World travelling around Latin America and the Carribean. Despite the obvious problems, in these regions, the people are great, the food is good and healthy, and I take my hat off to you for doing something different. At the end of the day, the healthy diet, lack of stress (and maybe cold beer) will ensure you a long and healthy life.

Many north Americans are discovering these places now and hopefully it will help improve the development of the region and not spoil things too much.

Best wishes

John H.

Last edited by johnh009; Sep 2nd 2007 at 1:53 am.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:11 am
Just Joined

alanstl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you all had a miraculous escape. A Cat 5 is just the worst thing... I was fearing another New Orleans for you guys, but thankfully you were spared. Does it bother you to live in a country that is at risk from hurricanes? Belize and the surrounding countries are very nice but the risks from extreme weather personally scare me.

Alan
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

zibeel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alanstl
Does it bother you to live in a country that is at risk from hurricanes? Belize and the surrounding countries are very nice but the risks from extreme weather personally scare me.
If I might answer this question as someone who lives in Belize. I think this is a valid concern for anyone that does not subscribe to an absolutely fatalistic approach! However the same concerns could well be applied to those living in earthquake zones, beachfront, within reach of a tsunami from an earthquake zone, volcanoes, etc etc

For me the mitigating factors are that out of all of the above, the path of the hurricane can be tracked before its arrival thereby at least offering the opportunity to evacuate. Furthermore, contrary to popular belief most damage from a hurricane comes from the storm surge that follows, rather than the wind itself.

As soon as the hurricane hits land, it starts to slow and as the ground rises in elevation it slows further, therefore the worst destruction is in a relatively thin band running along the coast. For example, the Cayo district of Belize being both inland and a higher elevation has rarely been badly affected by a hurricane despite some big ones hitting the coastline. In fact this area is where most people come when they evacuate from an impending storm!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:00 am
Don't forget your towel

Originally Posted by alanstl
Does it bother you to live in a country that is at risk from hurricanes?
^ What zibeel said, also; having survived thus far, inclement weather is just a part of the adventure
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:12 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

Used to go shaggin in Raols Rose Garden near the army camp - still there?