British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Central, South America & Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/)
-   -   UK/Mexico Post-Marraige in Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/uk-mexico-post-marraige-mexico-877395/)

gdl_brit May 13th 2016 2:49 am

UK/Mexico Post-Marraige in Mexico

Hey all,

I'm from the UK and I've just gotten married to my now wife in Mexico (she's Mexican). We want to speak with the immigration officers about my options in terms of staying in Mexico, visa options, visa extensions, etc. My tourist visa runs out in June, and we both want to eventually go to London to settle, but for the near future can anyone provide information on what my options are for staying past my visit as a foreigner married to a Mexican national?

I have all the apostilled and translated documents from the marriage if these are still required, and we're going to get a few certified copies of our marriage certificate.

Any info would be appreciated!

neilcumming May 14th 2016 11:39 am

Re: UK/Mexico Post-Marraige in Mexico

I got married to my mexican wife in Mexico on a tourist visa also.Take all your documents to the immigration offfice the INM and say you want change your status from tourist to temporal residente,you need photos as well.It pretty easy process took about 3 weeks to get my card ,I got a 2yr visa which cost I think 4000 pesos but you can get one for longer if you wish but after 2yrs on temporal residente you can apply for permanente visa and then you dont need renew it anymore.

gdl_brit Jun 3rd 2016 5:07 pm

Hi Neil, thanks very much for the reply.

We called the INM and they gave us a list of things to bring with us when we go on Monday. One of the things was a covering letter explaining why I'd like to stay in Mexico. Did you have to do this too? I'm wondering if it's just a technicality or if this letter will be scrutinized, so I'm wondering how much detail I need to go into in the letter or how long it needs to be.

neilcumming Jun 3rd 2016 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by gdl_brit (Post 11964160)
Hi Neil, thanks very much for the reply.

We called the INM and they gave us a list of things to bring with us when we go on Monday. One of the things was a covering letter explaining why I'd like to stay in Mexico. Did you have to do this too? I'm wondering if it's just a technicality or if this letter will be scrutinized, so I'm wondering how much detail I need to go into in the letter or how long it needs to be.

No,I didn't need to provide a letter as you described but I know from people's experience the Mexican immigration rules can be "variable".I wouldn't worry about it,just write the letter saying you want stay in Mexico longer to be with your Mexican wife.I didn't have problems so can't see you having any.