TEFL/TESOL etc, regarding Mexico

Old Nov 29th 2015, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

SalfordLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile TEFL/TESOL etc, regarding Mexico

Hi all.

First of all, forgive me if I am posting in the wrong spot. It has been many moons since I was a regular poster here in BE.

If this is the wrong place will the mods please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Next, I have run a quick search for TEFL, TESOL etc. But not found the answers I seek. If somebody else thinks they can point me at a relevant thread, please do not hesitate. You will have my gratitude.

Now, with the formalities out of the way...

I am hoping to move to Mexico next year, probably to teach English as a foreign language, but with a view to possibly securing work as a journalist on an English language newspaper.

I hold a first class degree in journalism, and have a pretty good portfolio. So, educationally I don't see a problem - at least not with TEFL. Whether or not I might find work writing hard news, who knows. That is for the future I guess.

So, my question is, can anybody advise specifically on the best way to find work teaching English. There are so many different TEFL/TESOL qualifications, from so many different providers (some of which I suspect are worth less than others in terms of accreditation) that I am a little overwhelmed.

For example - there are courses lasting 120 hours, which can be taken online and costing around £300. However, there are far more advanced courses, in a classroom setting, costing up to £1200.

What I need to know is what is actually required to find employment in the first instance. I know that I can augment my qualifications as I go, but I would like to get cracking and formulate a plan now, so that I can be moving toward my goal by next summer.

As much as I will appreciate any help, advice or guidance on this; I would love to hear from people with direct, first hand knowledge and experience.

If not, anything will do ha ha.

Again, forgive me if this post is in the wrong place or if it has been covered elsewhere and I have missed it.

Just think of me as a noob and reach out, folks, reach out

PS - Any typos, blame the sub's ha ha
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Marvitodude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TEFL/TESOL etc, regarding Mexico

I am doing the Celta, but getting a job in Monterrey as a native UK speaker is not the hardest in the world, but it helps knowing people there.