Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina

View Poll Results: Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina
Yes
7.41%
No
85.19%
Joint Sovereignty
7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina

Old Jun 28th 2015, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should Britain give the Falkland Islands to Argentina

Originally Posted by BritInParis
More meaningless sabre rattling. I take it the Argentine economy is still a complete basket case?
Clearly a diversionary tactic to focus national attention elsewhere, however if they wait long enough, it might get easier to deal with:

British Army could be cut to just 50,000 over next four years, report warns - Telegraph
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
More meaningless sabre rattling. I take it the Argentine economy is still a complete basket case?
That's a pretty safe bet as the Argentinian economy has been a basket case for almost all of the past 40+ years despite a huge wealth of natural resources. I doubt the current strategy of punishing foreign investors is going to improve matters much.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

MattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very much on the "no" side of this, not because of the war but because of a certain vote that took place in the not too distant past. However what does bother me is 1) that if the Argentinians do make another move on the Falklands, the British military would be powerless to do anything about it (thanks Blair, Brown and Cameron) and 2) The reality is that the South Americans do see it as an "occupation", and that's one more problem for an already unpopular nation around the world.

Two things I'd like to know on this subject; is it true that there is a set of Dutch "owned" (for want of a better word) islands that the UN accept as legal, whilst the UN have declared the British position of the Falklands illegal? Also what difference would it make - good and bad - if the Falklands were given to Argentina? I'm asking because I don't know, that's all.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattieC86
..... is it true that there is a set of Dutch "owned" (for want of a better word) islands that the UN accept as legal, whilst the UN have declared the British position of the Falklands illegal? .......
The only Dutch owned islands I know of are Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, half of St Maartin, and I think one other, all in the Caribbean. The difference is that I don't think any other country is claiming sovereignty over them.

The UN is mostly a bunch of tin pot dictatorships so I don't give a lot of credibility to the UN assertion that the Falklands are illegally occupied. In any case, so far as I know, there is no indigenous native population that predates the British settlers, and there never has been, and the UN has hundreds of more pressing disagreements to resolve. For starters, I suspect that China, a permanent member of the security council, is more than happy to deflect attention away from Tibet at any and every opportunity!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 15th 2015 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

MattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pulaski.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 6:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The UN has not declared the UK's possession of the Falklands Islands illegal. Several resolutions have been passed requesting the UK and Argentina resolve the issue through negotiation. The UK has asked Argentina to take the matter to the International Court of Justice on several occasions but Argentina has refused to - presumably because they know they will lose.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattieC86
I'm very much on the "no" side of this, not because of the war but because of a certain vote that took place in the not too distant past. However what does bother me is 1) that if the Argentinians do make another move on the Falklands, the British military would be powerless to do anything about it (thanks Blair, Brown and Cameron) and 2) The reality is that the South Americans do see it as an "occupation", and that's one more problem for an already unpopular nation around the world.

Two things I'd like to know on this subject; is it true that there is a set of Dutch "owned" (for want of a better word) islands that the UN accept as legal, whilst the UN have declared the British position of the Falklands illegal? Also what difference would it make - good and bad - if the Falklands were given to Argentina? I'm asking because I don't know, that's all.
British Overseas Territories are under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom; but not part of it. Aruba for example is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. French islands like Guadeloupe are prefectures of France. (I do not know why the UK does not do something similar with its BOTs.)

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 18th 2015 at 7:14 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a Falklands politician, making her case on her country's claim to the islands.

Australian surfer bitten after landing on shark
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by CelticRover
Here is a Falklands politician, making her case on her country's claim to the islands.

Australian surfer bitten after landing on shark
Are you sure?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course I'm sure.

Don't Be Fooled by Dialogue -- Argentina Only Wants One Answer to 'the Falklands Question' | Jan Cheek
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:05 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Argentina should definitely invade. Im sure cameron has made that clear to them, but not till closer to the next election... Worked for maggie.

Seriously, oil and the local population makeup make it impossible for argentina to any more than rattle their cage, if they did invade i'm sure any number of countries politicians would love to attack such a soft target to free the local population from an occupation.