Questions for Ecuador

Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

MattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions for Ecuador

Hi guys,
I'm a new boy here and I've got a load of questions for living in Quito. I did mention in my introduction thread that I'm married to an Ecuadorian. She has answered some of these questions already; I'm asking you guys as well because she isn't an expat and she can only answer questions from the point of view of someone who has only ever lived in Quito. I'm just wondering if you know something that she doesn't, and I hope that's OK

1) Where is a good place for us to buy furniture? I'm thinking sofa, armchairs, double bed, cabinets and dining table & chairs

2) Where can we buy electronics? Anything from small appliances like toasters up to vacuum cleaners and TV's.

3) I'm happy to buy second hand, or is that a bad idea here?

4) I'm quite sporty and I miss cricket and hockey. I know that they're not played here but I was wondering if there is someone I can play pool or snooker with, or possible badminton?

5) Does the website organise events that members can go to (and bring their spouses to), or do we decide who we would like to meet on our own terms?

6) Is anyone able to reccomend a good place to go clothes shopping?

7) Presently my wife and I are renting a room of her parents, however in the near future we'll be renting a flat of them. However whilst I have a very good relationship with my mother-in-law, she is very strict and likes to be the boss. After my wife and I had our civil wedding in January my parents bought us a spa day; mother-in-law refused to let us go because she didn't like it and thought we should wait until after out church wedding. I should stress at this point we haven't had our church wedding, only the civil service. The church wedding will help, I hope. However if mother-in-law continues to cause problems we've agreed that we'll move out. Can you reccomend anywhere in Quito?

8) I have a Sport Management degree. Currently I have a teaching job but I really want to work in sport. Can you recommend any websites or places that I can look at for better work?

There was going to be a 9th question but my internet cut out and I've forgotten it. I'm sure it will come up another time. Many thanks for your reading and I look forward to getting to know you

Matt
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:06 am
HLJ
Forum Regular

HLJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions for Ecuador

I'm on holiday at the moment, and I'm posting from my phone so bear with me.

1) Where is a good place for us to buy furniture?
It depends how much money you've got. Colineal is the best for shop bought stuff. Or you can go out to a town called Huambalo near Ambato and get cheaper stuff made to order. You can get cheap low quality wooden furniture around Panecillo.

2) Where can we buy electronics?

Megamaxi, Kywi, Motano for kitchen stuff.

3) I'm happy to buy second hand, or is that a bad idea here?

Second hand shops are rare and usually overpriced. But you can get stuff online. There are several FB groups, OLX and mercadolibre.

4) I'm quite sporty and I miss cricket and hockey.
Again try some of the expat groups on FB. I know someone was asking about badminton recently but couldn't find anything.

5) Does the website organise events that members can go to (and bring their spouses to), or do we decide who we would like to meet on our own terms?

No idea. I'm new to this site too.

6) Is anyone able to reccomend a good place to go clothes shopping?
Colombia ;-)

7) Presently my wife and I are renting a room of her parents.., Can you reccomend anywhere in Quito?

Move away from your inlaws! What kind of area are you looking for? Best advice- live near your work if possible.

8) I have a Sport Management degree. Currently I have a teaching job but I really want to work in sport.

Teaching usually pays better for foreigners than most other work. Are you fluent in Spanish? If so, try the local papers for sports centre work but it will be minimum wage most likely. Or you could freelance as a personal trainer or something.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:40 am
Just Joined

MattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond reputeMattieC86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions for Ecuador

Hi HLJ, thanks for all the advice, however I do think that Colombia is a bit far for clothes shopping lol. I'll bear everything else you said in mind, it's all good information