My big Move to Argentina!

Old Nov 26th 2013, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

danuno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My big Move to Argentina!

Hey Guys, ill be moving to Buenos Aires, Argentina in feb 2014! Im 23 male, I speak fluent spanish and was born in London! I wish to study there but also work. I have 5 years hospitality experience, cocktails, waiting etc. Dont know where to start, anyone got ne suggestions!? Gracias!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My big Move to Argentina!

Yes; choose a different country!
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

danuno is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck mate
Old Nov 29th 2013, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously though, in your area of work, you are going to find it tough going. I assume you know what the current economic situation is like there. If it weren't for you wanting to study, I'd suggest you thought about Chile which continues to boom, but studying is very expensive and also salaries are extremely low in the hospitality area. I do wish you every success though.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living in Peru for 5 years. I hear enough horror stories about the financial situation in Argentina from Argentinians that live here and also from a very close personal friend whose sister lives in BA. Anyone travelling out of Argentina has to obtain government approval in terms of how much in U.S. dollars they can take out of the country. One of my students was expecting a visit from his mother but she was only allowed to take $500 for a months stay in Peru. Argentina is expensive, to say the least, and the prices change often as the peso devalues. It is an economic basket case and the government is the pits. The previous poster mentioned Chile, and having spent much time there as well, I concur on the economics of it. Santiago, however, has some of the worst pollution you'll ever see at certain times of the year. Still take it over Argentina though.

Of course the other question is....how does an unemployed 23 year old get residency in Argentina? It is difficult to get permanent residency there unless you buy property. If you buy property through a corporation and make yourself the director of the corporation, you can basically write yourself a letter offering yourself a job. If you don’t want to buy a property, you could rent, but you would be able to spend only six months in the country (enter on a three-month tourist visa and then extend it at the immigration office for another three months).

There is also a business visa....If you are thinking of staying in Argentina more than three months, it is advised that you contact an Argentine consulate well in advance and get a one-year business visa. This visa allows for an Argentine I.D. document, which is required to open a bank account and register with tax authorities.

I do not, however, know the requirements for obtaining such a visa.

Bottom line, if your idea of "moving to Argentina" is going as a tourist and staying, good luck with that. To go there to work...

Temporary Residence
A permit for non-permanent residence is granted to foreigners wishing to enter the country for a limited period of time. There are different categories for which foreigners may apply. To apply for a temporary residence permit in order to work in the country the applicant and his or her family must provide certain personal data and documents. In addition, the company for which the applicant will work must provide additional corporate information, and the applicant and the employer must enter into an employment contract that contains certain required clauses regarding term and visa requirements. The applicant should also file personal documentation such as birth and marriage certificates and a certificate showing he/she has no criminal record. The authorization may be granted for a period of up to one year and may be renewed for an equal period.

Last edited by dakota44; Feb 27th 2014 at 11:48 pm.