Moving To Uruguay in September

Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

dubbedcpt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving To Uruguay in September

Hi I am moving to Uruguay in Spetember this year. I am from UK but been living in Cape Town for past 6 years.....was hoping to make contact with with any British or South African living in Uruguay...Busy learning spanish but I know I am gonna need to talk english at some point so that I do not go crazy!!!

Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To Uruguay in September

Originally Posted by dubbedcpt
Hi I am moving to Uruguay in Spetember this year. I am from UK but been living in Cape Town for past 6 years.....was hoping to make contact with with any British or South African living in Uruguay...Busy learning spanish but I know I am gonna need to talk english at some point so that I do not go crazy!!!

I am sure there must be somebody out there who you can make contact with - unfortunatly, we are Brits in Argentina. Quite a contrast from the UK to South Africa and now Uruguay! Looks like you are trying out all the continents!!!!

Good luck with your move.

Michelle
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

merseymouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Montevideo is a wonderful place! You've made a great choice!
We spent part of each year in Uruguay. For ease of access to the city centre, and for schools, beach and general quality of life I recommend the district of Pocitos. Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

merseymouth
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dubbedcpt

A google on Uruguay and Expat will come up with some suggestions. Sorry, I don't live in Uruguay either and can't offer any personal recommendation.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:36 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merseymouth
Montevideo is a wonderful place! You've made a great choice!
We spent part of each year in Uruguay. For ease of access to the city centre, and for schools, beach and general quality of life I recommend the district of Pocitos. Don't hesitate to send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

merseymouth
Montevideo is a wonderful place if somebody wants a sleepy capital city with not too much happening. The city feels more like a regional southern european city rather than a capital city. Also by latin american standards the city is quite expensive and yes, Pocitos and surrounding areas are nice and with a nice beach, problem is though, the beach is on the Rio de la Plata which is as about as dirty as the Thames, so no chance of bathing in the water there As for quality of life, Uruguay in general is very safe in comparison to other latin american countries and walking around parts of Montevideo at night never seemed to dangerous.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:30 am
Just Joined

dubbedcpt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MichelleAlison
I am sure there must be somebody out there who you can make contact with - unfortunatly, we are Brits in Argentina. Quite a contrast from the UK to South Africa and now Uruguay! Looks like you are trying out all the continents!!!!

Good luck with your move.

Michelle

What can I say hon....trying as many different continents as possible adds to the spice of life!!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

cardhappy is an unknown quantity at this point

i have just moved to montevideo. i would be interested in how you found a decent apartment?

if you want to meet up for a coffee drop me a note, but this place is as relaxed as anything!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:00 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardhappy
i have just moved to montevideo. i would be interested in how you found a decent apartment?

if you want to meet up for a coffee drop me a note, but this place is as relaxed as anything!
Its one of the weirdest capital cities that I know, its kind of like a provincial European city but with a far larger urban sprawl. The shopping and sight-seeing in the city centre is almost non existent, one can almost fall asleep whilst walking around.

All this is in stark contrast, to the large City on the other side of the Rio de la Plata.

Plus, they speak funny there.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

i am finding it kind of boring....but its probably what i need in life right now - i can stop thinking i am young!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:26 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

i am finding it kind of boring....but its probably what i need in life right now - i can stop thinking i am young!
One consolation is, that its probably the safest captial city on the whole American continent.

Whereabouts are you based in Monetvideo?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

indeed beats rio for sure - based in pocitos i think near the golf club
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:39 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

indeed beats rio for sure - based in pocitos i think near the golf club
This is probably the best place in Montevideo to be based but Punta del Este is probably the best that Uruguay has to offer. Great location with a lot of nice residential areas, when I was there it was winter and was very sedated but had a nice feel.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

i lile punta - did a french resturant there best in my life...yeah seems pretty safe......playing a lot of tennis bar the rain!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:24 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

i lile punta - did a french resturant there best in my life...yeah seems pretty safe......playing a lot of tennis bar the rain!
I find the quality of restauarants in South America to be extremely high in general, saying that Uruguay is one of the more expensive countries there for eating out. Like Argentina they have an obssession with beef.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

if you know of a good wine to buy at the supermarket from uruguay that would be appreciated! tried too many bad ones!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.