Moving to Tulum, Mexico

Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Bravesoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Tulum, Mexico

Hi All

Just joined this site after looking for info on Mexican Visas

I'm currently in London and am planning to move to Tulum in Mexico with my Mexican girlfriend in early March.

I am wondering what type of visa I should apply for and whether I should apply here or there.

I am currently in the process of building a house out there after buying land earlier this year.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated or if anyone just wants to chat who's in a similar position that would be cool too

Take care

Glenn
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Tulum, Mexico

Some of the laws on foreigners in Mexico may have changed in the last few years but, here goes:

1. There's only ONE visa you are currently eligible for - an FMM, bog-standard, 6-month, Tourist Visa. If you want to stay more than six months then you must leave the country and re-enter with a new visa. An FMM cannot be applied for 'in-advance' for Brits at a Mexican Embassy - it must be done at the Port of Entry.

2. If you want to stay permanently you can 'upgrade' to an FM3 - a non-immigrant, resident's visa that comes in many 'flavours' according to whether you are working, retired, an 'economic dependent' etc etc. These are valid for 1 year but may be renwed 'in-country'.

3. As a foreigner, you will NOT be allowed to own land (or other immovable property) in your own name in Tulum, Quintano Roo. Foreigners are prohibited from the direct ownership of land within 100Km of a border or 50Km of the coastline. Many foreigners get around this by having a bank own the land in trust (a 'fideicomiso') so it is do-able. If you trust your girlfriend then you could have everything in her name.

4. Further complications will arise from only having an FMM. You will not be able to open a bank account or obtain a drivers license. Additionally, if you decide to get married in Mexico then you will need permission, as a foreigner, from the Federal department of Immigration (INM).

Mexico does have laws. Often they are not enforced, but when they are you will realize that the UK jobsworth is a very model of efficiency and helpfulness.

Good luck!

<later edit>
Yes, I know the Mexican government, back in April, voted to amend Art.27 of the Constitution to abolish the land ownership restrictions on foreigners but AFAIK the President has yet to sign that bill into law.

Last edited by AdrianR; Nov 6th 2013 at 2:49 am.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

..........Yes, I know the Mexican government, back in April, voted to amend Art.27 of the Constitution to abolish the land ownership restrictions on foreigners but AFAIK the President has yet to sign that bill into law.[/QUOTE]

Has it actually progressed that far, waiting for only one signature?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3149717.html
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I think its Scotiabank who do the fideicomiso.There is another way to buy property and its what I did,set up your own company .The house will have to be in the companies name,this way you get the FM3( or Nonimagrante visa) and you can buy other properties whereas with the fideicomiso you have to have 1 for each house .Best thing is to find a local gringo who can recommend a decent lawyer
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I think its Scotiabank who do the fideicomiso.There is another way to buy property and its what I did,set up your own company .The house will have to be in the companies name,this way you get the FM3( or Nonimagrante visa) and you can buy other properties whereas with the fideicomiso you have to have 1 for each house .Best thing is to find a local gringo who can recommend a decent lawyer
Scotiabank is one of several banks issuing fideicomisos and all of them require extreme due diligence when dealing with them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/scotiabank-ma...raud-1.2125652

A Mexican LLC will allow someone to purchase without a fideicomiso but has some extra implications as it pertains to Mexican Law.

A fideicomiso can also be held in the name of a US LLC.

More than one living unit can be held under the same fideicomiso.

Tread lightly when operating in Mexico and don't completely trust lawyers either.

Other than that Mexico can be fun and profitable.

Last edited by CelticRover; Nov 6th 2013 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the great advise.

Just a couple of points I should mention regarding the replies.

I bought the land in my girlfriends name whom I trust completely. I'm hoping that once the law is passed allowing foreigners to buy land I will be able to transfer it into my name, but I'm not to worried if not.

I did manage to open a bank account in Tulum. Firstly I needed to open an Advanced account here in Britain with HSBC. They have a world banking division which will help you through the process of opening an account in another country without all the red tape, so I managed to open it before arriving to buy the land.

AdrianR, In regards to the visa, as I understand it, it would be best for me to enter on a tourist visa and apply for a FM3 when there under one of the qualifying conditions? Is that at the local govenment offices? Let me know

Thanks again for all your great advice. 3 months to go!!!
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bravesoul
AdrianR, In regards to the visa, as I understand it, it would be best for me to enter on a tourist visa and apply for a FM3 when there under one of the qualifying conditions? Is that at the local government offices?
It's pretty much the only way you can do it. Not sure if there's an INM office in Tulum - probably the nearest would be Playa del Carmen.

What 'flavour' of FM3 do you see yourself being able to apply for?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Hi

I'm not sure yet, but I should be receiving a small income from renting my flat here in London. That should be around $1300 a month. Do you think that will help to apply? I do have IT qualifications as well as a TEFL and I'm a divemaster. Would those be considered if applying?
Old Nov 20th 2013, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bravesoul
Hi

I'm not sure yet, but I should be receiving a small income from renting my flat here in London. That should be around $1300 a month. Do you think that will help to apply? I do have IT qualifications as well as a TEFL and I'm a divemaster. Would those be considered if applying?
Check with the mexican embassy in london before you travel as the new government here changed the immigration laws last november.Im lead to believe by a mexican lawyer that you cant "swap" your FMM tourist visa for a FM3 whilst in mexico .
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im lead to believe by a mexican lawyer that you cant "swap" your FMM tourist visa for a FM3 whilst in mexico .
I wasn't aware of that - good advice!

ALSO - the FM3 is a non-immigrant, temporary resident visa that has different categories/types. Check the INM's website but, if memory serves, they include:
1. 'Rentista' - retiree, living off foreign income (rents, pensions etc)
2. 'Dependente Economica' - supported by a Mexican national.
3. 'Cargo de Confianza' - trusted employee - a work visa that has to be applied for by the potential employer.

There are others - I am sure - but check beforehand.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Check with the mexican embassy in london before you travel as the new government here changed the immigration laws last november.Im lead to believe by a mexican lawyer that you cant "swap" your FMM tourist visa for a FM3 whilst in mexico .
The consulate: 16 St George St, London W1S 1FD

+22 207 499 8586

Normally the officer in charge of Foreigner Visa enquiries is a lady called Griselda
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.banderasnews.com/1310/re-...ideicomiso.htm

Here is a recent article regarding present status, along with potential pros and cons regarding the possible, future personal choice of eliminating the Mexican fideicomiso.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CelticRover
http://www.banderasnews.com/1310/re-...ideicomiso.htm

Here is a recent article regarding present status, along with potential pros and cons regarding the possible, future personal choice of eliminating the Mexican fideicomiso.
Very good info Mr Celticrover
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by feldr
The consulate: 16 St George St, London W1S 1FD

+44 207 499 8586

Normally the officer in charge of Foreigner Visa enquiries is a lady called Griselda
correction to the telephone code