Moving to Mexico City from London

Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:48 am
Just Joined

JFKEngland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Mexico City from London

Hi.

We are moving rather soon so need some info urgently, if possible.

01. Are there any good hospitals (like international standard) in the city or its vicinity?

02. Do they do brands like SMA (toddler milk) and Pampers (nappies/diapers)?

03. Do they have good sports facilities separately for men and women (for religious reasons) ?

04. Are there any good and secured residential compounds within the city?

Urgent help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 3:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Mexico City from London

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to the Central, South America and Mexico forum as I know we have a few members living in MC. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help you.

Good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Not wishing to be a curmudgeon...but you are talking about moving to the western hemisphere's largest metropolitan area and capital to the world's 11th largest economy. Did you think Mexico was a third world country or something?

1. Hospitals - most private hospitals are of a considerably higher standard than the UK. Many Mexican doctors in those private hospitals are US trained and, almost always, fluent in English. There's also the IMSS hospitals - basic but acceptable, and probably the same as your average NHS hospital.

2. Are you kidding me? Procter & Gamble (makers of 'Pampers') are a global company and their products are found virtually everywhere. Infant formula tends to be well represented by Nestle ('Nido') and Mead-Johnson ('Enfamil'). I never looked for 'SMA' but as Wyeth-Pfizer products are also widely available then I'm sure it's not an issue.

3. Don't know. Experience would tell me 'no' as the country is pretty well mono-cultural.

4. Don't know. But why do you want to live in a secure, gated, residential compound? You'll miss out on a lot if you barricade yourself in!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 1:30 am
Just Joined

fruitball is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I have been living in Mexico for just over 6 years (originally from London too).
1. Hospitals: obviously private is the way to go here. There are some excellent, clean, comfortable hospitals in Mexico City. Hospital ABC are probably the best. They have at least 3 hospitals here in Mexico.
2. Yes
3. No
4. It's a safe city. Disregard the bad publicity. But if you need security many buildings and compounds provide this.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 1:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Not wishing to be a curmudgeon...but you are talking about moving to the western hemisphere's largest metropolitan area and capital to the world's 11th largest economy. Did you think Mexico was a third world country or something?

1. Hospitals - most private hospitals are of a considerably higher standard than the UK. Many Mexican doctors in those private hospitals are US trained and, almost always, fluent in English. There's also the IMSS hospitals - basic but acceptable, and probably the same as your average NHS hospital.

2. Are you kidding me? Procter & Gamble (makers of 'Pampers') are a global company and their products are found virtually everywhere. Infant formula tends to be well represented by Nestle ('Nido') and Mead-Johnson ('Enfamil'). I never looked for 'SMA' but as Wyeth-Pfizer products are also widely available then I'm sure it's not an issue.

3. Don't know. Experience would tell me 'no' as the country is pretty well mono-cultural.

4. Don't know. But why do you want to live in a secure, gated, residential compound? You'll miss out on a lot if you barricade yourself in!
The OP is researching a move and needs friendly helpful advice . If you havent lived somewhere before then you dont know the simplest of things, and thats what these forums are all about
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You MB, my sentiment exactly!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

British Born is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I havent lived in Mexico City but I have visited. I live in the Yucatan and have done for many years and I am a Brit single mum. I came here with two young kids, never been here before and have now been here for seven years and we now want to move over to Mexico City.
As a mum I can assure you that everything you need for a baby and toddler is available here in Mexico and its even easier to get in Mexico City.
As for secure compounds, that isnt needed but maybe you will feel safer in a Residencial where there is security on the gate and or a condo where there is 24hrs security. However you dont need to lock yourself in.
Let me know when you get there incase we get our move on to the D.F

Last edited by British Born; Mar 25th 2014 at 9:59 pm. Reason: Spelling again lol
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:50 am
Just Joined

an2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Monterrey Mexico, but I've visited Mexico city, its a big city, people from hispanic countries live there, best hospitals are there, and have good places to visit, kind people... culture is diferent than London, but is not Egypt or Sudan.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

JoanneR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JFKEngland
Hi.

We are moving rather soon so need some info urgently, if possible.

01. Are there any good hospitals (like international standard) in the city or its vicinity?

02. Do they do brands like SMA (toddler milk) and Pampers (nappies/diapers)?

03. Do they have good sports facilities separately for men and women (for religious reasons) ?

04. Are there any good and secured residential compounds within the city?

Urgent help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Hi, and welcome to Mexico D.F. I hope the following helps a little...
1. There are plenty of International style hospitals here as pointed out by others. The private ones such as the ABC, Angeles, Medical Sur etc. are excellent with good standards of cleanliness, equipment and facilities. Many doctors are indeed trained in the U.S. But over treatment is common and not all doctors are of the same standard so if in doubt check their qualifications and ask for a second opinion. If you are coming here to work you may get private medical insurance through your employer, if not you might want to invest in cover as hospital costs can be expensive and you won't be allowed to leave until you have paid the bill.
2. No problem getting these items. The only things I struggle to find here are decent bacon, marmalade and cling film that even remotely works...
3. I don't know about this but there are an abundance of different sports facilities and you may be able to find classes which are specifically for men or women.
4. There are residential compounds, especially in areas such as Santa Fe. I personally prefer to live within the Mexican community but not all my colleagues do the same and seem to be settled and happy in Santa Fe. As remarked on another post, this city is safer than perhaps its reputation would leave you to believe. Having said that, as with any large city, you need to take care with where you go and how you look when out and about. I regularly walk around where I live in the evenings, both alone and with my husband. To date (after 3 years here) I have never experienced any problems and love living here.
Good luck with the move. J
Old Oct 10th 2014, 5:01 am
phc
Just Joined

phc is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, seems like everybody is quite happy living in either one or another of the more exclusive neighbourhoods in D.F. You should try something a little more urban jungle style to get a sense of reality. Been living here for a little over 10 years now; with all the up's and down's.

Medical care: Given the required spending pockets, no problem. Else, I'd rather not compare IMSS to NHS. Fluent in English? Please elaborate... It's difficult enough to find people speaking English at major hotspots, like the airport or bus terminals like Terminal del Norte. Sorry, no trains around here.

Security: Pretty much depends on where you live; or go. Been having my fair share of extra fun a couple of times, including in broad daylight on public transport.

Sports: I'm sure there are plenty of suitable places.

Shopping: Like anywhere else in the world; outside the UK; you'll need to spend some time investigating. If money is not the problem, you could possible take a shortcut and simply have a look around Superama or Palacio. Somewhat above my usual budget though.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phc
Funny, seems like everybody is quite happy living in either one or another of the more exclusive neighbourhoods in D.F. You should try something a little more urban jungle style to get a sense of reality. Been living here for a little over 10 years now; with all the up's and down's.

Medical care: Given the required spending pockets, no problem. Else, I'd rather not compare IMSS to NHS. Fluent in English? Please elaborate... It's difficult enough to find people speaking English at major hotspots, like the airport or bus terminals like Terminal del Norte. Sorry, no trains around here.

Security: Pretty much depends on where you live; or go. Been having my fair share of extra fun a couple of times, including in broad daylight on public transport.

Sports: I'm sure there are plenty of suitable places.

Shopping: Like anywhere else in the world; outside the UK; you'll need to spend some time investigating. If money is not the problem, you could possible take a shortcut and simply have a look around Superama or Palacio. Somewhat above my usual budget though.
At the airport?
try looking for a red shirt, they are pretty good English speakers employed for that purpose...
Shopping

Even DF has Walmarts... along with Mega( Superama) . btw, their p[rices are pretty much the same as WM.. no matter where I've been in Mexico
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:15 pm
phc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by feldr
At the airport?
try looking for a red shirt, they are pretty good English speakers employed for that purpose...
Shopping

Even DF has Walmarts... along with Mega( Superama) . btw, their p[rices are pretty much the same as WM.. no matter where I've been in Mexico
There are many things one could label either pretty much the same or pretty good. However, fluent English may be a tad more difficult to find on that list. I'm aware of WM and their prices; happen to have one across the road. Certainly not the place to go looking for British goodies; at least not this one.

As for the value for money thing: Taking $500 into SR wouldn't quite buy the same compared to WM. Not sure, where you do your shopping. Personally I tend to head for the next Aurera (Mexican branch of WM), simply because I find both quality and prices sufficiently more attractive.

Personal taste I suppose. I'm sure the OP will eventually come to draw his/her own conclusions once he/she's been living here long enough to know the difference.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Judgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Reading through the posts I see that some of you have already made the switch from UK-Mexico. Would any of you be able to shed any light on what is needed to make the switch? I live in London am married to a Mexican woman, I'm british, we are both in 40's but my wife is currently in UK on a spouse visa until summer 2017. As living in Mexico is a lot cheaper than living in central London we were thinking if it would be worth making the switch.

Can it be done? Presumably I would need to apply for a visa but would I need to work in Mexico as I wasn't planning on doing so. If not would we need a certain amount of savings?

I also have to take permanent medication as I have colitis so I assume I would need private medical insurance. Would something like this go against me? As I already have a Mexican wife would this assist in any way?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 1:07 am
phc
Just Joined

Mind the gap! Inflation over here is balloning, and regarding professional health care this is one of the least favourable places to consider -- unless you have plenty a pretty pennies to try first class private -- but even then I'd have my doubts. I've been over here some ten+ years now. As soon as the final sales are complete, it's the next flight OUT. Guess what, I'm actually considering moving back to the UK after about 30 years abroad.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

SalfordLad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to the Central, South America and Mexico forum as I know we have a few members living in MC. Hopefully someone will be along soon to help you.

Good luck.
Hi Jerseygirl. This is the wrong place for this, but I have long since lost my previous login and wanted to reconnect. Or, in something less like management speak, wanted to say hi

I hope the OP will forgive me.

I was once known, Jersey, as.....drum roll....SillySod lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.