British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Central, South America & Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/)
-   -   moving to mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/moving-mexico-711949/)

tommie_lee Apr 3rd 2011 4:41 pm

moving to mexico

howdy strangers of the internet
im going to be moving to queretaro,mexico from birmingham, uk in several months and have spent all my time getting the money together but completely neglected the visa, i plan on living there so can someone kind explain to the differance and what i have to do to get one, im born irish so im farely stupid soo you may have to dumb everything down for me to understand.

thank you lots and lots

meauxna Apr 3rd 2011 6:12 pm

Re: moving to mexico

Queretero, what an interesting choice! :) I've only passed through there, what made you choose Queretero?

You haven't said what the purpose of your move is, the visa type will depend on that. FM2 & FM3 are the two 'live there' visas I've heard of. Perhaps you can start here and see?
http://portal.sre.gob.mx/conreinouni...=page&SubMenu=

It's usually not a good idea to arrive and say you are a tourist when you intend to remain longer.
You may have to overcome your desire to be 'dumb' and step up the research. :)

tommie_lee Apr 3rd 2011 6:20 pm

wellll the reason was entirely i had a chance to see somewhere new really (plus several personal reasons) my family know some people that live there and they said they have a spare room i can stay in, soo at least i wont be alone, thank you very much, im only 19 so alot is new to me still, from what ive seen,heard and researched it seems such a nice place
if there is anything else you can tell me that may also be useful please do tell

meauxna Apr 3rd 2011 7:07 pm

OK then, as a learning exercise for you. I started traveling independently at your age, so I won't spoil it for you by just telling you what you need to know. :)

Are the personal reasons a love affair? What do you plan on doing with your time when you are there? Study/work/nothing etc.
What research have you done? At what sites? What is it you learned about Q that made it appeal to you and sound like 'such a nice place'?

You NEED to get a visa before you can move even one step closer, so determining what your activities will be determines what visa you apply for.
If this is a short-term sort of thing, you should be reading at sites like lonelyplanet.com to find other people doing similar activities to you.

Sell us on it a bit! A chance to see something new can be accomplished by taking the ferry somewhere, so you must have a good reason to want to go to Mexico.

AliDev Apr 27th 2011 1:27 pm

Hi tommy, my husband is from Scotland and he doesn't like anything to do with getting visas either, so I know quite a bit about that. You don't need a visa on arrival, you only enter with a tourist visa, this gives you at least 5 months to think about what you want to do, you need to start you application process for a formal visa at least 1 month before it runs out. I would recommend having a mexican person by then that can vouch for you because it makes the application process so much easier. However, if while you are here on a tourist visa you decide that you need to work or study you do need to inform the migration offices so they can change your Tourist visa to an FM2 or FM3, because otherwise it will be impossible for you to do things like opening up a bank account.
Hope you enjoy Querétaro, I've lived here for about 10 years and it's one of the nicest cities in Mexico. If you need help finding the migration office in Querétaro let me know.

The Nomad May 4th 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Tommy,
Been here for 11 years now (Monterrey) and although only having visited once have to admit that on first impressions Queretero is a great first choice. Having said that, most of the expats here are Brummies (what is it with W. Midlands ;) )

I agree with the above suggestions re a visitors visa. Even though I was married to a Mexican I did have quite a few problems getting an FM3.

Nowadays the immigration dept has improved immensely (here anyway)

Most of the Brits here become English teachers, and if you can get a school to endorse your application then you stand a good chance of a required visa.

One very important thing to remember (almost cost me mega bucks) is that if you arrive through the US (transit) without any required paperwork you must have a return ticket ! Even though I had proof that I was married to a Mexican I was minutes away from being denied my flight.

Best of luck :thumbup:

allanaj Dec 2nd 2011 12:12 am

Hows it goin?

Moved to Queretaro yet? I'm allan from Belfast, and could be doin exactly the same at the end of december.

am interested in knowing how you're getting on

take it easy
allan

Neil2012 Dec 22nd 2011 11:21 pm

Hi my name is Neil and I live in Morelia with my fantastic Mexican GF! I've lived here for 3 months and finding it hard to adjust so any help and advice would be great. I'm really hoping to settle here. Thanks to any that can contact me on any advice.

josda Feb 10th 2012 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Nomad (Post 9342508)
I agree with the above suggestions re a visitors visa. Even though I was married to a Mexican I did have quite a few problems getting an FM3.

Nowadays the immigration dept has improved immensely (here anyway)

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what sort of problems you had obtaining your FM3 visa. I'm a Swedish national and most of my information regarding living in Mexico comes from US nationals who can easily go back and forth to renew their tourist cards. I can only imagine it's a bit trickier for other nationals.
I've only heard that in order to receive an FM3, one only has to prove an income of 1300 US dollars. Is that the problem your were having, or others?

Thanks!

AdrianR Feb 25th 2012 1:06 am

Originally Posted by josda (Post 9894519)
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what sort of problems you had obtaining your FM3 visa.

Depends entirely what type of FM3 you have.
Rentista? (Retiree), just have to produce your bank statements showing regular deposits of x pesos per month.
Cargo de Confianza (working visa) needs letter from your employer verifying continued employment etc

Take a look at the INM website - www.inm.gob.mx

JoelBennett Mar 1st 2012 10:57 am

Dear all -

I was smiling reading the stories of travels and living in Mexico. My name is Joel and I am married to a Mexican and we have decided to move to Mexico City following a job offer/acceptance for my wife.

I have been to mexico many times but this will be the first time I am going to live - perhaps forever. I love Mexico and although it is not without its problems, I am certain with the right attitude life there will be rewarding.

I am due to leave next week and would be very happy to receive any advice/tips regarding the visa situation/registering as a UK national overseas/ or any expat groups in D.F.

Thanks for your time and tommy_lee, Queretaro, if you havent been before is a very, very soft landing! Perhaps the greatest town to live in being from the UK? We will be heading there on numerous occasions so let me know if I can help at all.

Many thanks,

Joel

johnh009 Mar 1st 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by tommie_lee (Post 9282842)
howdy strangers of the internet
im going to be moving to queretaro,mexico from birmingham, uk in several months and have spent all my time getting the money together but completely neglected the visa, i plan on living there so can someone kind explain to the differance and what i have to do to get one, im born irish so im farely stupid soo you may have to dumb everything down for me to understand.

thank you lots and lots

I travelled around Mexico when I lived in Canada and really enjoyed the country. It has a young population and improving all of the time. I believe many North Americans live Queretero and it is one of the better places to live in Mexico. Looks like they have some nice real estate there. Good luck.

http://homes.point2.com/MX/Queretaro-Real-Estate.aspx

carlamills70 Aug 27th 2012 5:56 pm

Hello
My name is Carla and am planning a move with my husband and son to live in Chetumal, Quintana Roo district and would be grateful for any advice offered on the initial visa application process, we moved from the West Coast of Scotland approximately 2yrs ago and have been living in Belize since then and through our many trips across the border into Mexico it has given us an affectionate feel for the country and we believe our son who is 6yrs old would benefit from the experience of living within the local community.

We have basic immigration knowledge and any advice would help and also if anyone can sign post me to house or apartment rentals in this area it would be appreciated.

Thanks

adiyaewh Aug 28th 2012 8:54 pm

Tommie,
This may not be relevant seeing as you posted in April. I'm not sure if you're planning on working in Mexico but I have an aunt and uncle who moved to Playa del Carmen in Quintana Roo about 8 years ago. They are US citizens and literally drive down to Belize City every 6 months, spend the evening and then drive back over the border where their tourist visa is renewed for another 6 months. All of this changes if you're planning on working but if you're just travelling around then this might be a good option.

feldr Nov 4th 2012 10:44 pm

I'm Ed
I'm planning on moving to either Toluca or Queretaro as my G/f live in Metepec, and a lot of her family are in Queretaro