Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Moving to Manta,Ecuador -current visa regs

Moving to Manta,Ecuador -current visa regs

Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Matthew-Colthup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Manta,Ecuador -current visa regs

I am looking at moving to Manta, Ecuador - I have an Ecuadorian girlfriend who lives in Manta.

I have seen various visa updates concerning the 3/6 month tourist visa and the general tightening up.

I have also read reports from people who have been living and working in Ecuador, where they have been able to renew their visa quite easily and have stayed in Ecuador for a number of years.

I am a qualified music education teacher (Trinity College London - guitar).
What are the chances of being able to find work as a teacher of the guitar?

If I come out on a tourist visa and my time on it runs out, is there still a way to renew it again, or as some updates suggest, I will be fined and deported?
I would just like to know what the current reality is.

I note from British Embassy info, that a couple have to live together for 75 consecutive days in Ecuador before they can marry.

Any advice on this would be very useful.

Matthew
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Manta,Ecuador -current visa regs

Live together for 75 days? I'm sorry, but that's not what the British Embassy says and if it were true it would cause uproar from the the Church in Ecuador. You'll find the page you want here... http://ukinecuador.fco.gov.uk/en/hel...ord-local-marr

As for whether you could teach guitar in Ecuador, your own experience of the influences of European technique and repertoire on classical music in South America should make you the best judge of that.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Ecuagooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you are still on your way out here but I can put you in touch with a woman here in Quito who can get things sorted without too much problem. She is not the cheapest in town but has always got things sorted for us and our friends during the last 7 years. She gets things done efficiently, however her grasp of english is somewhat limited.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

domenick11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is an interesting post that explains how to extend your tourist visa in Ecuador... http://ecuadorrealestate.org/tourist...nsion-ecuador/
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Watoto is an unknown quantity at this point

My best source was (1995) was the Embassy located near Harrods. Paid the two hundred pounds got an indefinite visa to live because my wife is Ecuadorian. Had to jump through many hopes in Quito, but eventually settled in Manta for 4 years. On my last trip things have changed in Manabi, and it is becoming much more organized and the procedures are being followed. Which means your best interest is to do it the right way from UK. Visitors Visa is not recommended.

As for work, Manta has many schools for the well of in the fishing industry. Manta also has been the fastest growing city in Ecuador and has slowed a bit since the departure of the US base.