Moving British income to Argentina

Old May 17th 2014, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

waingels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving British income to Argentina

Hi-
Weighing up my options with a move to Argentina. I'm expecting difficulty in obtaining a well paid job in BA, so was thinking of renting my property in London and using the rent as a source of income.
How would I be able to transfer this from my UK bank account to an Argentinian Bank account without being screwed over with taxes & exchange rate conversions ?

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated
Old May 17th 2014, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving British income to Argentina

If you have been in Argentina recently you will have realised that the USD is the only foreign currency that people want to deal in and that the expats who cope best with the soaring price inflation are those who have access to USD and exchange them on the unofficial market. How easy it will be for you to do the same will depend very much on your residential status: the two most common, practical, long-term options are legitimate resident (visa rentista etc (see the Argentine Consulate website)) where at least some of your money will be required to come in through official channels or permatourist who travels abroad to collect USD or uses on-line money transfer services. People who just arrive, stay and become invisible need to have links to their money supply made of cast iron. To get the best advice, you probably need to explain whether and how you intend to regularise your residence. In the meantime, many expats in Argentina have blogged about these issues and discussed them on local English-speaking forums and you'd be well advised to seek out and browse their comments