Moving to Brazil... Help!!!

Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

AlyDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to Brazil... Help!!!

Hi there,

My husband (Brazilian nationality and passport) and I (British citizen) have decided we would like to move to Brazil. Change of lifestyle and also to raise children. However we have so many questions and hoped someone out there may be able to give us some advice

Where/how do we start the process? Also, how realistic should we be in giving ourselves a time frame? Could we move in a year, two years? We have just gotten married so have a lot of debt. Should we pay off the debt first and then move or sell up, go and sort the debt out?

In terms of accommodation, would it be better to get there first, rent and then buy a house? Also, how easy is it to buy property out there? is it a tough as it is in the UK? We do have family in SP and Rio so we have family support in some respects.

Also, job market. I dont speak any Portuguese. How difficult will it be to find a job? Any good websites i could start looking at? My husband is fluent in verbal, but not so in written. Could this be a problem?

Also, we dont have children, but would like to, but dont know whether to move first and get settled. Or if a child is born in the UK, will it make it difficult to get nationality for the child, as opposed to being born in Brazil?

I know it seems like a lot of questions but really hope someone can help with some advice please Thank you!!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Brazil... Help!!!

Originally Posted by AlyDS
Hi there,

My husband (Brazilian nationality and passport) and I (British citizen) have decided we would like to move to Brazil. Change of lifestyle and also to raise children. However we have so many questions and hoped someone out there may be able to give us some advice

Where/how do we start the process? Also, how realistic should we be in giving ourselves a time frame? Could we move in a year, two years? We have just gotten married so have a lot of debt. Should we pay off the debt first and then move or sell up, go and sort the debt out?

In terms of accommodation, would it be better to get there first, rent and then buy a house? Also, how easy is it to buy property out there? is it a tough as it is in the UK? We do have family in SP and Rio so we have family support in some respects.

Also, job market. I dont speak any Portuguese. How difficult will it be to find a job? Any good websites i could start looking at? My husband is fluent in verbal, but not so in written. Could this be a problem?

Also, we dont have children, but would like to, but dont know whether to move first and get settled. Or if a child is born in the UK, will it make it difficult to get nationality for the child, as opposed to being born in Brazil?

I know it seems like a lot of questions but really hope someone can help with some advice please Thank you!!
Try this site. http://brazil.angloinfo.com/moving/
Old Nov 26th 2013, 10:03 am
Just Joined

patty_63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My name is Carol and I have lived in Brazil for 35years as a Tefl teacher.I in fact love the South of Brazil,which is where I live.
There is an enormous difference between the South and the North.The south tends to be more European like,in fact the contrast is so great between the North and south not only in terms of climate but also the people and contrasts between the rich and the poor.
Brazil is a huge country and the variety in cultures ,races and social levels is great.There are a lot of job opportunities especially if you have technical qualifications,as industries from abroad are being set up in Brazil However,there are jobs available in many other areas as well.
Most English schools will welcome qualified English teachers ,on occasions, they will accept native speakers without the required qualifications.
Actually I could write a book about Brazil passing on my experience here to you but I think for now I have said enough.But please don't hesitate to get in touch with me again if you need anything I would be happy to help.
patty_63
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pay off my debt first and how can you sort the debt out if you haven't even got a job? Unfortunately Brazil is generous with loans and prices are way too high at the moment, especially property. In a few years prices will drop, just like they did in the US and other places across Europe, so wouldn't buy now. Well, you won't get a loan without a job and if you don't speak the language you'll struggle. If you have a skill that others don't have then you'll find a job, otherwise you won't find it easier than the UK. Apart from the weather there isn't too much going for you and even the heat gets on your nerves if you don't have a private pool. Sitting on an overcrowded beach to get out of the apartment will also get boring.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

dgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant futuredgdevil has a brilliant future

First of all, congratulations on the marriage.

Secondly, don't commit to Brazil without visiting first.

Beyond that, I would establish yourselves professionally in your current location, pay off the debt, establish a nice pool of savings.Then, once in Brazil, you have a respectable CV and a financial cushion. I don't know what you do, but I doubt that your husband being semi-illiterate in his native language will endear him to would-be employers.

My wife is Brazilian, and we have opted not to live there. It is very inefficient, and you can see from various surveys that Brazil comes near the bottom of the class in terms of ease of doing business and other crucial metrics. Opening a bank account can be a hassle, launching a company is masochistic. Grocery shopping will be financially draining. Huge protectionist tariffs mean that basic goods like clothing and electronics will be off-limits.

As a Brit, you might tire of the heat, the bugs, the (fear of) crime, and distance from your family.

PS The good news is that buying property is fairly easy, maybe easier than in the UK. But there is no mortgage market. It's cash upfront (unless things have changed). Unless you work in the financial industry, don't count on making a good living in Brazil.

Last edited by dgdevil; Dec 10th 2013 at 11:24 pm. Reason: add stuff