Moving to Argentina

Old May 6th 2015, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Darren.ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Argentina

Hey all,

My partner and I are in the primary stages of moving to Argentina ba.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. It's basically knowledge gathering at the moment.
Old May 6th 2015, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Argentina

All I can say is good luck, you'll need it!
Old May 7th 2015, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darren.ross
Hey all,

My partner and I are in the primary stages of moving to Argentina ba.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. It's basically knowledge gathering at the moment.
I'm guessing you've never been to Argentina before (the local abbreviation for Buenos Aires is BsAs) in which case the first line of advice is: buy a return ticket and visit for at least a couple of weeks before you burn any bridges.

To give any meaningful advice we would really need to know a lot more. Will you be working locally, working remotely via computer, living off savings or investments, do you plan to bring money into the country? What criteria do you have about finding somewhere to live? How's your Spanish? How long do you plan to stay? What kind of residency visa do you plan to apply for? Oh, lots more...
Old Jun 7th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Darren,

Me and my wife lived in San Juan Argentina for 13 months. The people are great but the government is absolutely useless and can be a real try on your patience. That being said Bs As is a very different kettle of fish to the backwater provincial towns and I enjoyed it very much.

What are your reasons for going?

Argentina is in deep economic problems and is quickly running out of reserves to pay international creditors as a result there is a virtual ban on buying foreign currency (yes there are legal ways to do it but it requires lengthy paperwork and even then the answer is usually no). If you will be paid in pesos and have to send to money back to the UK I would strongly suggest you re-consider, this is why me and my wife had to leave.

The government is also highly jingoistic so be very careful who you tell about being a brit. I never really had any issues but there were a few circumstances where I kept my mouth shut and let me wife, who is yank, do the talking. Corruption is also a massive issue (the same party has been in power since the mid 80's).

How is your partner with sexism, mine found Argentine to be deeply sexist and was told on more than one occasion she needed my permission in writing to withdraw money from our joint bank account.

That being said it really is a beautiful country with great wine, beef and the friendliest people I know. If you want any more advice please feel free to get in touch directly.

In summary, do your research and know what you are walking into.