Mexico City

Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

azul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mexico City

Hola! Yes you prob already found out but there is an English -language paper called The News in DF, it shut down temporarily but is up and running again!

I`m a fellow-Brit living in the south of the city and working as a primary teacher... !
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madmex
hi,
I have lived in Monterrey for the last 7 years now and looking through the forum have noticed that most of the comments regard Mexico city or Cancun (area)

If i can help anyone with questions regarding this part of the world then please contact me.

I have been to Cancun 3 times now and it is a great place (always said I would move there when the kids finish Uni ) but 3 years ago I drove down the Gulf coast and if there is a more beautiful state than Vera cruz then I have yet to see it. We travelled the coast along the Costa Esmeralda and it was like the cover on a chocolate box. It was not overcrowded like Cancun, in fact it is rather the opposite. My friend took the same route last year and it has become a bit more populated but like me fell in love with the whole area.

I personally think Mexico is not truly exploiting one of its greatest assets, which is its fantastic coastline. My kids often go to the pacific coast and return with the same sort of stories.

Monterrey is a huge University city and I can vouch that education is not cheap, but it is of a very high standard.

One to remember for anybody moving to Mexico (especially the North) is the very high temperatures. We average around 40° C in the height of the summer, sounds great but takes a lot of getting used to.

Mexico is a great place to retire to

Just to add to the above post. I run a cyber here and the internet is generally very good, not as cheap as the UK but I have a 2MB download at a reasonable cost.
Having lived in Canada for the past 20 years, it is interesting to see where Canadians and Americans retire to and Mexico is certainly at the top of their list.

The largest colony of North Americans outside of the US and Canada is in Lake Chapala close to Guadalajara. The main attraction is the climate. According to the National Geographic, it has the "World's most perfect climate". It never goes above 28C and never drops below 23C, with no humidity so you do not need heating or air conditioning.

Also, because there is a large colony of North Americans and Europeans there, they have created a good social environment. It must also be mentioned that they do a lot of charity work in the area to foster good relations with the local population such as animal welfare, provide English language schools, fund sponsored education, fund librarys, etc.

Lake Chapala is Mexico's largest lake and the second largest in Latin America. Guadalara, close by, is Mexico's second largest city with everything you need, even great Indian restaurants.

For property, have a look at this site:

www.mlsmexico.com

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 4th 2008 at 2:30 am.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:18 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kirk_mat
Hi I'm living in Cancun aswell, looking to meet more Brits. I'm thinking of opening a pub aswell, but don´t know if there is the british population in the centre of cancun to support it, what do you reckon???
Mat
May I ask why so many of you are looking for a place where there are Brits?. I am assuming the goal is to settle in an "English" speaking community, am I right?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Abayomi99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zenith
Hello, My name is Johnny Grinter. I lived in Mexico City for 7 months, and came back only 3 months ago to the UK.

I had absolutely no idea that this sort of community existed whatsoever. I'm not sure why but I really felt like I myself and my best friend were the only Brits in the whole of Mexico City.

Anyway I cannot believe I left Mexico now, and I deeply deeply miss it very very much. I left because I was scared about staying and getting stuck there. My visa would have been constantly renewed though as I have a friend in Immigration.

During my time there I worked seldomly as a private tutor, but mostly lived off my savings. This is unusually lazy for me, but there you go.

Anyway I made many amazing friends, and despite the many flaws I grew a passion for Mexican culture.

What I want to ask is:

Can anyone help me with advice about employment? I am not too keen on teaching, and would really return if I was offered a 'decent' wage for Mexico. I am 29 years old, enthusiastic, well spoken (which goes down well lol). I have experience in Television production and research (not much) and I am a photographer....amateur but well I sell my work. I also have some journalism experience. I have experience in retail, and I am a people person first and foremost.

I have a free room in a nice apartment in Mexico City, so that isn't a problem.

I miss you Mexico.
Hello! I know you said you aren't particularly keen on teaching, but my suggestion would be to come back as a teacher and once here go from there. It is much much MUCH easier to find a job once you are in the country and a teaching job will leave you the afternoons free to search and will also give you enough of a salary to live off of, especially if you get a job at a school like the American School Foundation which helps out the expat teachers with rent. Contracts are usually two years long. So you would only be stuck as a teacher for that amount of time ). Best of luck! Anna.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

cjmoore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello people!

I am 21 years old and am moving to Mexico City in mid-September.

I have recently finished university and, as a result, am quite poor. What is a reasonable amount of money to keep a float in the city for the first two months?

Thanks

Craig