Mexican Driving licences

Old Nov 10th 2012, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mexican Driving licences

When I (eventually ) get my res visa, will I need to apply for a Mexican licence, or will a DVLA issued be acceptable?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Driving licences

Your "res visa" - do you mean an FM3 or FM2?

You can apply for a Mexican license on either but, generally, the license is only valid for the length of the visa. On an FM3 you are 'non-immigrado' so a Brit license should be OK but different states have different rules. It also depends on whether it's the Federales giving you the ticket or your local Transitos (basically, the locals will expect 'mordida').

License conditions vary state-by-state. Some states have fairly strict conditions that require theory and practical tests as well as eyesight exams (Nuevo Leon, for example) while others (such as Tamaulipas) merely require you to fill in the form and pay the fee.

Where are you going? - OK - DF, I see, right? Here's the website:
http://www.setravi.df.gob.mx/index.jsp

This page says you only need, as a foreigner, the application form, proof of residency (like a utility bill), identification and your visa (as well as proof proof fee payment, naturally!)
http://www.setravi.df.gob.mx/wb/stv/licencias_tipoa

Last edited by AdrianR; Nov 12th 2012 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Adrian,

within the next 18months,and I'll be applying for residency as my girlfriend is Mexicana.

She's in Toluca, (DF) , but we may move to Queretaro, which I think is Morelos
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by feldr
within the next 18months,and I'll be applying for residency as my girlfriend is Mexicana.
On what basis? Simply having a Mexican 'significant other' doesn't cut it. You need to be either married, sponsored for work, an economic dependent or retired - at minimum - to get an FM3.

You can't have a driver's license on a tourist visa so don't hang around. Yes, your UK license is OK to use in the meantime but make the switch as part of the whole package of documentation.

She's in Toluca, (DF) , but we may move to Queretaro, which I think is Morelos
Study geography a little! Toluca is in Estado de Mexico - NOT the 'Distrito Federal'...different government and different rules. Queretero is in the state of the same name - not the state of Morelos. Were you thinking of Cuernavaca, perhaps?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

No, I have been to Cuernavaca, just a little geographical fuzziness. Queretaro is indeed where we have planned for...

the financials are being sorted, although to stop me getting lazy,I'd prefer a job of some sort...
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

...although to stop me getting lazy,I'd prefer a job of some sort...
And to prevent domestic discord as well! Mexican women (generally speaking, and, yes, I am married to one) don't appreciate foreign husbands being lazy-azzed bums. As my wife has told me on numerous occasions, "Si queria valemadrismo, me hubiera casado con una mexicana."

(loosely translates as, "If I wanted a man who said, 'I don't give a sh1t' then I would have married a Mexican.")

What kind of work didja' have in mind?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

I have worked in Hotels as a Concierge, ran a chauffeur business and did admin (

My girlfriend reckons a job teaching English may not be too hard to obtain
Old Nov 12th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

...My girlfriend reckons a job teaching English may not be too hard to obtain
GF is right - but it does need a bit of experience and/or education. The pay is not fantastic (figure up to around MX$120 an hour at a top rate school - but that's for contact time in front of a class - planning & admin are not usually paid) but it may well give you the FM3 you're gonna' need.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Good point, though here in the Uk, they tend not to pay for admin/ planning anyhow, so my younger sis tells me...