Cost

Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Slartibartfarst42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost

I'm thinking about the possibility of retiring to Mexico, partly for the climate and partly because I can't afford to retire in the UK. As cost is a key cost for me, what sort of monthly income would be needed to allow two people to live a reasonably comfortable life in Mexico?

I'd also be grateful if someone could advise me about some good areas for retirement that have decent weather, good medical care, things to see, facilities and is a very cost effective area.

Thanks
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost

Originally Posted by Slartibartfarst42
I'm thinking about the possibility of retiring to Mexico, partly for the climate and partly because I can't afford to retire in the UK. As cost is a key cost for me, what sort of monthly income would be needed to allow two people to live a reasonably comfortable life in Mexico?

I'd also be grateful if someone could advise me about some good areas for retirement that have decent weather, good medical care, things to see, facilities and is a very cost effective area.
There are literally hundreds of websites giving advice on retiring overseas. Googling "International living" will bring you to the site of that name, and many others. It's fun researching.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you afford to grow old without the NHS ? What happens if(when) your health deteriorates ?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Can you afford to grow old without the NHS ? What happens if(when) your health deteriorates ?
Clearly some sort of private healthcare has to be factored into my costings but that doesn't seem unreasonable given that the cost of living in Mexico is so low compared to the UK. I imagine I'd need to do this wherever I go in the world.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Scot. There is medical insurance available to permanent residents of Mexico - but even without it medical costs are quite affordable, I understand. To a large extent I guess the costs depend on one's general state of health, plus how fiercely an old codger wants to cling to life when that general state is poor!
Old Oct 26th 2017, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know anything about what life is like in Mexico ? There are many countries with decent climates where the “cost” of living , in monetary terms, is low compared with the UK, but you need to ask yourself why that is.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dfjordan
Do you know anything about what life is like in Mexico ? There are many countries with decent climates where the “cost” of living , in monetary terms, is low compared with the UK, but you need to ask yourself why that is.
Well, actually, I was thinking of the gringo colonies around Lake Chapala south of Guadalajara. The cost of living there is way higher than in natives-only villages and towns, but so is the standard of medical care - and the policing too, probably. I even know a couple from Cayman who moved from here to live there! There are plenty of other towns with large gringo minorities, all over Mexico and the rest of Latin America. No worries.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting old does not just mean bunions and deafness. Do you speak Spanish ? If not will you depend on your gringo neighbours for communication ? Good luck with that one !
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you speak Spanish ? If not will you depend on your gringo neighbours for communication ? Good luck with that one !
Scot. My wife and I have gotten by in pidgin Spanish in several countries, without help from other gringos. At our age, we would not expect to suddenly become natives in our chosen refuge. Indeed, we're not the slightest bit interested in becoming natives. Why would we? Our intention is simply to live in a cheaper place than our present home, if or when the money runs short - as long as the place we chose were a comfortable one, of course. That's not an uncommon situation for oldies to be in, really.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Mexico seems to be a good retirement destination. To be honest I've never even been there but that doesn't hugely concern me. I won't be retiring for at least 4 years and possibly a bit longer so I have time to research things. For now, I really need the answers to these questions:

1) What would it cost, per month, to have a reasonable standard of living in Mexico?
2) What areas should I be looking at for a decent lifestyle, decent medical care and other expats in the area? I intend to visit these places over the next few years to find out more.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

To the HHGG man... The value of the Mexican currency to the US Dollar since the beginning of this calendar year has varied 25.65%, as of this weekend. So any estimate of the cost of retiring there will likely change drastically during and over the next four years. If you're dealing in GBP, it might be more or less than that, but you can see that it really doesn't make much sense to plan four years ahead with such a volatile currency as the MXN.

Also, it isn't prudent to commit yourself (even in your mind) to a country or community that you haven't even visited and won't live in until some years in the future. There are literally dozens of countries and hundreds of communities that might be more suitable for you in four years' time. All you need to worry about at the moment is uprooting yourself from your present home. Take one thing at a time, is my advice.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate a lot can change but I feel I need to identify possibilities now so that I can investigate them and visit before I intend to retire. My original plan was India but it seems getting a retirement visa is impossible so now we're looking at alternatives. Mexico and Portugal both look interesting but I'm not tying myself down to any particular destination at this stage.

Uprooting myself isn't such an issue anymore as our home in the UK was rented out last year. We work on the Falkland Islands now and will probably stay here for another 4 years. If we need to move on to work elsewhere after that, it won't be in the UK. I work as a teacher and there's no way I want to suffer working there again. Teaching abroad is far better.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh, OK. You're certainly in the right part of the world to be looking for retirement places. We're really spoilt for choice, over here. From Mexico all the way down to Argentina, there are plenty of places. If you subscribe (it's free) to International Living, you'll learn pretty much all you need to know. Friends of mine have established a bolt-hole in Uruguay (Montevideo), others are living in Mexico (one south of Cancun, the other south of Guadalajara), my son once lived in a village beside Late Atitlan in Guatemala. I hear good things about places in Chile and Ecuador - and then there's Cuba. I'm not sure it's a good idea to choose just one place (in advance) to spend the rest of one's life. My wife and I have in mind to start off with a few months in central Mexico and see how it goes, then maybe Ecuador or Peru. There are plenty of direct flights (i.e. not via the USA) to Europe from Latin American capitals; that's an important factor.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

beachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond reputebeachseeker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slartibartfarst42

Thanks
Hi Slartibart - we visited (lived in) Puerto Vallarta on the west coast for one year and got to know the cost of living very well. It is basically half of what you would pay in most large north American cities for the same "basket of goods". We found the same thing when we went shopping during several of our two week visits in Playa del Carmen on the east coast. They have several big box stores (Mega, Soriana, Walmart) and shopping is easy with little Spanish required.

You can rent a nice place for 15,000 pesos per month (US$750) but will likely need to spend about 20,000 pesos per month (US$1000) for a place with a pool. Monthly income requirements to meet temporary residency requirements (to prove solvency) are about 1250 British Pounds per month (pension). Check local realtors for purchase listings...

Here is a link with residency info..... https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/reinoun...or-carnet-visa

Last edited by beachseeker; Dec 12th 2017 at 8:56 pm. Reason: more info
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico is a wonderful place. Happy people, good weather and great food. I lived in DF for 2 years and Cancun 1 year. Miss it a lot.
Uruguay 10 years and now thinking of returning from the UK.

I found medical services in both countries far superior to the UK especially Uruguay. My Uruguayan wife was shocked when we first moved back to the UK.

So many beautiful places to choose from in Mexico. Good luck!