Ideas?

Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

simon_e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ideas?

I am after ideas of a good place to live in South America. I currently work for myself through the internet and hence can live anywhere in the world and consider myself self-sufficent (in excess of $6,000 per month). I am after finding a place to live in South America as I loved Costa Rica but it is time to move on.

Any ideas of which city/country is the best palce to live and enjoy? I have heard Buenos Aires/Montevideo and Florinapolis. What about Venzuela etc?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas?

A lot will depend on what you are looking for. You mentioned Venezuela. I haven´t been there for some years but from what I´ve read and heard, it´s probably the last place you want to consider in South America. I have lived in Santiago for the last 12 years and love it, but it´s not everyone´s cup of tea. Some really like Lima for example for many reasons. You will also need to consider whether or not you will be able to get a work permit. If you don´t intend to work as you have independent income, you could always stay in Chile as a tourist and just renew your permit every 90 days or so, but you´ll have problems in opening a bank account which you will need anyway.All I can say is that South Amercia is very different from Costa Rica, in just about every way you can think of.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simon_e
I am after finding a place to live in South America as I loved Costa Rica but it is time to move on.

Any ideas of which city/country is the best palce to live and enjoy? I have heard Buenos Aires/Montevideo and Florinapolis. What about Venzuela etc?
Costa Rica is heart of Centro America

Buenos Aires is very Parisian in its character; Portenos (as the city natives are called) are very moody Lovely city. Montevideo ? across La Plata, is in Uruguay, but why ? there is not much happening in Montevideo.

After living in Costa Rica, I'd think you would want to head to the high plains of Peru, Terra del Feugo, Rio Negro Brazil.

What is it that you really are looking for in a place, and why is it that it has to be in South America ?

Make a list of needs, then a list of wants; and finally a list of your vices Then go hunting for a city that has it, and a country that will allow you to live there indefinitely to enjoy it.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

simon_e is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses.... what I am looking for is a place where I can chill, get my work done, meet other expats and enjoy my life. That may be a little vague... so this is where I stand.

I moved back to the UK over a year ago and although I was ready to settle it was not for me and I have had itchy feet to move back and enjoy what i was doing before. Money and income is not an issue as I operate several websites which earn me about 5-10k USD a month on average with 25-40 hours per week.

Keep those ideas flowing of good places to live and those to avoid.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I can´t speak for other locations, but in Santiago you will certainly be able to do what you want, and there are a lot of expats, pubs for expats, events for expats etc. Santiago does suffer from smog in the winter ( about 3 months)but the rest of the year is lovely. From what you say about your work, you wouldn´t need to be in the centre anyway in which case the smog wouldn´t be any problem. My next door neighbour moved here from Italy last year, and although I haven´t asked him exactly what he does for a living, he did mention at one time that as all his business is done on the internet, he can live wherever he wants, so he has his office in his house, which is in an area where there is no problem with smog, yet in 30 minutes he can be in downtown if he wants At least here, things do work; you can get things done without much hassle, you have no end of broadband providers, and reliable at that. There is accomodation at all price levels, the legal system works; you have the beaches within 1 1/2 hours drive,and the ski resorts even less. It is far more sophisticated than Costa Rica, but obviously a hell of a lot bigger as well, in terms of population. I would suggest that you invest a little time and money and make a trip to say BA, Lima and Santiago, then you´ll probably be able to make up your mind
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Harry100 is an unknown quantity at this point

All these ideas are very interesting although I am primarily interested in Costa Rica i.e. cost of living, condo rentals etc. Have already posted under Costa Rica thread.

Hopefully, someone can assist.

Cheers,

Harry