I now live in Cuenca Ecuador

Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:25 am
Just Joined

Ceapedro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I now live in Cuenca Ecuador

My partner and I came to Ecuador in February 08. We rented an apartment here for two months ($360 per month furnished, internet, cleaner) and kept the apartment while we travelled to Cotacachi, Otavalo, Quito and a quick trip to the coast. We bought our apartment in Cuenca and are so happy we did.
After returning home (Australia) and selling up and finishing off other business deals we have returned to Cuenca and our apartment. We left in September so I suppose we have been here almost two months. We are still in love with the place and received such a warm welcome from our new found friends.
The weather is very mild and comfortable. Although I do miss the warmth but thats ok we just go to the coast for a few days to soak up the sun. We just returned tonight and did not even spend a fortune to go there and back.
The restaurants are great and the food delicious. 1 dozen roses in the supermarket $2.25 - cheaper at the markets, 6 pack of beer $2.20, avocados 3 for a $1 and more.
We can go to a great restaurant for lunch and have the Menu of the Day for anywhere from $2 - $3.50. Juice, soup, main, salad and a desert. The other day we had a vegetarian meal Juice, soup and main for $2.25 each. Unbelievable.
Anyway if any one wants to write to us feel free.

Come to Ecuador and live like a King. I am so glad we found this wonderful country. Of course speaking Spanish is an advantage............
but you can get buy as many speak English and there are quite a few expats here if you want to get together with them.

Ok just contact us if you want to know more.

Ciao Ciao
Dixie
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I now live in Cuenca Ecuador

Originally Posted by Ceapedro
My partner and I came to Ecuador in February 08. We rented an apartment here for two months ($360 per month furnished, internet, cleaner) and kept the apartment while we travelled to Cotacachi, Otavalo, Quito and a quick trip to the coast. We bought our apartment in Cuenca and are so happy we did.
After returning home (Australia) and selling up and finishing off other business deals we have returned to Cuenca and our apartment. We left in September so I suppose we have been here almost two months. We are still in love with the place and received such a warm welcome from our new found friends.
The weather is very mild and comfortable. Although I do miss the warmth but thats ok we just go to the coast for a few days to soak up the sun. We just returned tonight and did not even spend a fortune to go there and back.
The restaurants are great and the food delicious. 1 dozen roses in the supermarket $2.25 - cheaper at the markets, 6 pack of beer $2.20, avocados 3 for a $1 and more.
We can go to a great restaurant for lunch and have the Menu of the Day for anywhere from $2 - $3.50. Juice, soup, main, salad and a desert. The other day we had a vegetarian meal Juice, soup and main for $2.25 each. Unbelievable.
Anyway if any one wants to write to us feel free.

Come to Ecuador and live like a King. I am so glad we found this wonderful country. Of course speaking Spanish is an advantage............
but you can get buy as many speak English and there are quite a few expats here if you want to get together with them.

Ok just contact us if you want to know more.

Ciao Ciao
Dixie
Glad to hear that you are adapting ok. Out of interest how much are good sized apartments in Cuenca in central locations?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

richardv1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: I now live in Cuenca Ecuador

Glad to hear you guys are very glad you made the move to Cuenca.
We Richard and beverly are hoping to make the move to Cuenca in April(if our house sells by then)
We live in Houston,Texas area.
We will be making the move to Cuenca without making an advance trip as we are on a Social Security budget.
We have read quite a bit about Ecuador but it is very hard to get answers
or information about Cuena.
We will be renting to start with and we do have a cat and small dog coming with us.
We are trying to get information on the good areas of Cuenca to look for an apt.
If you can give us any information about making the move and information of this beautiful city, it will be kindly appreciated.Richard speaks fluent Spanish so that will help.
thanks,
Richard/beverly Villarreal
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

johndenton46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm looking for a city in SA to settle, teach a little, eat avacados, drink beer, and blog. Being single, I'm curious about the expat environs in Cuenca, since aside from teaching at a school with other English speakers, I'd be on my own. I lived and taught in Hanoi last year, and the expat life is simpatico, as long as I can meet people without having to go to a bar full of twenty-somethings-- well, a few are ok.

The outdoors-- I wonder of there is access to hiking in the hills around the city. And motorbikes, can you rent or buy them?

Your post was encouraging. Oh, and what about high speed internet, is it easily available?

Happy New Year.

John
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johndenton46
Hi, I'm looking for a city in SA to settle, teach a little, eat avacados, drink beer, and blog. Being single, I'm curious about the expat environs in Cuenca, since aside from teaching at a school with other English speakers, I'd be on my own. I lived and taught in Hanoi last year, and the expat life is simpatico, as long as I can meet people without having to go to a bar full of twenty-somethings-- well, a few are ok.

The outdoors-- I wonder of there is access to hiking in the hills around the city. And motorbikes, can you rent or buy them?

Your post was encouraging. Oh, and what about high speed internet, is it easily available?

Happy New Year.

John
As a European or North American etc it will be very easy for you to meet people in South America speaking some Spanish will help but the fact of the matter is, that the people are exceptionally friendly and will always make you feel welcome. Hiking in the countryside in SA can be quite dangerous so caution and a good knowledge of the area is required. High speed internet is very hit and miss and I found that the internet access in Peru was better than that in Ecuador.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Is that Jim Morrison?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:22 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Is that Jim Morrison?
As you can see alive and well
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Cool. I suspected he was immortal.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:09 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Cool. I suspected he was immortal.
Are you looking to go to SA as an English teacher?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Are you looking to go to SA as an English teacher?
In theory, although I'm retired and could scrape by sans work. I'd like a few hours here and there.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:25 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

In theory, although I'm retired and could scrape by sans work. I'd like a few hours here and there.
Think you´ll find, that there is always a demand for native English language teachers in SA and so many people want to learn English there. I would imagine that you could go to any city and just turn up at an institute and probably land some type of teaching job because a lot of people that do this are in transit so there are constant vacancies.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Think you´ll find, that there is always a demand for native English language teachers in SA and so many people want to learn English there. I would imagine that you could go to any city and just turn up at an institute and probably land some type of teaching job because a lot of people that do this are in transit so there are constant vacancies.
Sounds promising.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Ceapedro is an unknown quantity at this point

We have come across several people here in Cuenca who come through and teach English. Once of our friends is a teacher now at the University. But please remember that you will not be paid the same rates as you would normally be used to. The other opportunity "with no pay" is a couple of institutes that you can help out with. One being an orphanage and the other a home which has been set up for single mothers. Here they are taught skills to take them through life. This one could be a paid position. Hope this helps. Again many opportunities here in Ecuador, as long as you are prepared to take less pay than you are used to.
Ciao Dixie
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Dixie. Yes, I'm aware that the pay is low, around $5 US. In Hanoi I was getting around $15, but it's not all about money, of course, as with any endeavor. For me teaching can be pretty rewarding, in the right amounts. I'm also thinking of getting involved with helping stray dogs, as a volunteer.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

JClinton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My partner and I are moving from London to Cuenca in September, initially to rent for one year and if we like it to stay for longer and possibly buy. We are in the process of planning and at the moment deciding what to ship over. We are not shipping furniture but are unsure of bedding and wondered if you could help us on guide prices of purchasing reasonable quality cotton bed linen etc. from the large shopping mall e.g. the following items for a double bed:

4 pillows
4 pillow cases
2 double sheets
1 double duvet
1 double duvet cover
1 blanket/throw

On a different note I want to learn Spanish while in Cuenca. I know that Cuenca has several universities and colleges and is a language centre, and wondered if there is an official language school offering free or cheap lessons, as some countries and towns do offer this service free.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Joanne

Last edited by JClinton; Mar 30th 2009 at 6:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.