I now live in Cuenca Ecuador

Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Drrsbald is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I now live in Cuenca Ecuador

Originally Posted by Ceapedro
My partner and I came to Ecuador in February 08. We rented an apartment here for two months ($360 per month furnished, internet, cleaner) and kept the apartment while we travelled to Cotacachi, Otavalo, Quito and a quick trip to the coast. We bought our apartment in Cuenca and are so happy we did.
After returning home (Australia) and selling up and finishing off other business deals we have returned to Cuenca and our apartment. We left in September so I suppose we have been here almost two months. We are still in love with the place and received such a warm welcome from our new found friends.
The weather is very mild and comfortable. Although I do miss the warmth but thats ok we just go to the coast for a few days to soak up the sun. We just returned tonight and did not even spend a fortune to go there and back.
The restaurants are great and the food delicious. 1 dozen roses in the supermarket $2.25 - cheaper at the markets, 6 pack of beer $2.20, avocados 3 for a $1 and more.
We can go to a great restaurant for lunch and have the Menu of the Day for anywhere from $2 - $3.50. Juice, soup, main, salad and a desert. The other day we had a vegetarian meal Juice, soup and main for $2.25 each. Unbelievable.
Anyway if any one wants to write to us feel free.

Come to Ecuador and live like a King. I am so glad we found this wonderful country. Of course speaking Spanish is an advantage............
but you can get buy as many speak English and there are quite a few expats here if you want to get together with them.

Ok just contact us if you want to know more.

Ciao Ciao
Dixie

I am planning on relocating to Cuenca, Ecuador in 2013..........By all opinions, I need to dome down for a "fact hunting vacation" to see, visit and check out Curenca. Can you provide me with someone or a company that "specializes" in visiting the city in accordance with relocating there? I'd appreciate any info you
could give.

<snip>
I look forward to hearing from you ASAP.

Thanks again.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 16th 2012 at 7:53 am. Reason: Not wise to put you personals up on an open forum . Folk can contact you via BE. cheers.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

mytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to allmytriumph is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Drrsbald

I am planning on relocating to Cuenca, Ecuador in 2013..........By all opinions, I need to dome down for a "fact hunting vacation" to see, visit and check out Curenca. Can you provide me with someone or a company that "specializes" in visiting the city in accordance with relocating there? I'd appreciate any info you
could give.

<snip>
I look forward to hearing from you ASAP.

Thanks again.
Perhaps you could have a look at this website; it is quite informative.

http://www.gringosabroad.com/aboutus/
Old May 26th 2012, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Harrison47 is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner and I came to Ecuador in February 08. We rented an apartment here for two months ($360 per month furnished, internet, cleaner) and kept the apartment while we travelled to Cotacachi, Otavalo, Quito and a quick trip to the coast. We bought our apartment in Cuenca and are so happy we did.
After returning home (Australia) and selling up and finishing off other business deals we have returned to Cuenca and our apartment. We left in September so I suppose we have been here almost two months. We are still in love with the place and received such a warm welcome from our new found friends.
The weather is very mild and comfortable. Although I do miss the warmth but thats ok we just go to the coast for a few days to soak up the sun. We just returned tonight and did not even spend a fortune to go there and back.
The restaurants are great and the food delicious. 1 dozen roses in the supermarket $2.25 - cheaper at the markets, 6 pack of beer $2.20, avocados 3 for a $1 and more.
We can go to a great restaurant for lunch and have the Menu of the Day for anywhere from $2 - $3.50. Juice, soup, main, salad and a desert. The other day we had a vegetarian meal Juice, soup and main for $2.25 each. Unbelievable.

Come to Ecuador and live like a King. I am so glad we found this wonderful country. Of course speaking Spanish is an advantage............
but you can get buy as many speak English and there are quite a few expats here if you want to get together with them.

Ciao Ciao
Dixie
Hi,
I'm currently in Colombia heading south and am looking at spending about 6 weeks in Cuenca in order to press forward with studying Spanish. Do you have any advice on potential accommodation and where or who I may approach for one to one Spanish tuition?

I'm grateful for any information you can provide.

Thanks in anticipation!
My email address is; [email protected]
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:03 am
Banned

markdax is an unknown quantity at this point

That is very interesting, i'm planning to visit Ecuador soon and i hope to appreciate the place as heard. i'll definitely contact you guys, thanks for the post...
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

r00Perth Murderck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dloseff
Hello Again retired_poppi,

We have recently arrived in Cuenca, for what will be a 1 year stay, and have just rented an unfurnished apartment. So we are looking to buy some used items, including the following:
- Refrigerator
- Stove/oven
- Small sofa
- 2 comfortable chairs
- Single size matress
- 6 sets of Plates, glasses, silverware, etc.
- Blender
- Pots and pans, cooking utensils
- A small table for 4
- Blankets
- Hangers

I know we can puchase all of this stuff new, but I thought I'd try to check to see if we can get them used first. If you, or anyone you know has any of these items, and is looking to unload them, please let me know.

Thank you.
try olx.com.ec or mercadolibre.com.ec
Old Jul 25th 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

r00Perth Murderck is an unknown quantity at this point

another question: what lawyer do ur papers like sedula and represents u in exsranjeria (not sure about spelling)?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:02 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Ciao Ciao
Dixie
Sounds great, I've been thinking of a move to south america for a few years now, I am originally from UK, been living in OZ for 20 years and quite frankly I'm over it. What are you doing about work or income there ?
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pomikev
Sounds great, I've been thinking of a move to south america for a few years now, I am originally from UK, been living in OZ for 20 years and quite frankly I'm over it. What are you doing about work or income there ?
Hi everyone
That's an interesting comment Pomikev. What is it about Australia that has us Brits "over it" after so many years (15-20, less for some). Why are you over Australia?

My friend in the USA is talking about moving to Ecuador in retirement and said to check it out. I've been on the Austr section of British Expats for years now off and on, so I thought I'd see what people had to say about Ecuador. I've signed up for a few email subscriptions with information/weekly updates and flogging their businesses of course. So far looking good.

Anyone been to Esmereldas? This is where my friend is keen on. Feedback anyone? Thanks TC
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:52 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Hi everyone
That's an interesting comment Pomikev. What is it about Australia that has us Brits "over it" after so many years (15-20, less for some). Why are you over Australia?
Hmmm good question, why am I over it ?

Well, where to start...........

The food, flaming heck I'd die for a proper sausage, and some real fish and chips, A cornish pasty would be wonderful, haven't had a cherryaid for 30 years lol.

The TV - words fail me - they seem to be aiming at a target audience of retarded 10 year olds.

Culture - almost forgotten what that word means living in oz.

The bloody paranoid isolation thing the aussies have going, everything in australia has to be constantly referred to as "the best (fill in the blank) in the world"

Sport - neanderthal thugs and ego wanks by the dozen.

Police - un-bribable and up themselves - push bike helmets and anti drug (consciousness) laws.

Cost of housing - just insanity

The alcohol culture - violent insensitive morons.

work - thin on the ground and pretty poorly paid especially if you take the cost of living into consideration.

Comedy - 3rd rate political satire only. smug unfunny bores.

I could go on but that gives you the idea lol.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pomikev
Hmmm good question, why am I over it ?

Well, where to start...........

The food, flaming heck I'd die for a proper sausage, and some real fish and chips, A cornish pasty would be wonderful, haven't had a cherryaid for 30 years lol.

The TV - words fail me - they seem to be aiming at a target audience of retarded 10 year olds.

Culture - almost forgotten what that word means living in oz.

The bloody paranoid isolation thing the aussies have going, everything in australia has to be constantly referred to as "the best (fill in the blank) in the world"

Sport - neanderthal thugs and ego wanks by the dozen.

Police - un-bribable and up themselves - push bike helmets and anti drug (consciousness) laws.

Cost of housing - just insanity

The alcohol culture - violent insensitive morons.

work - thin on the ground and pretty poorly paid especially if you take the cost of living into consideration.

Comedy - 3rd rate political satire only. smug unfunny bores.

I could go on but that gives you the idea lol.

Yessss.
I'm so used to Facebook I was mousing around looking for the LIKE button before I realised I was on good old Expats - we need a LIKE button, Mods!

I can add some things:

hard to make lasting friendships or have meaningful conversation, very superficial, won't really "let you in" quite often.

bit of an "us and them" mentality, if you're born here you're true blue if not you're always from somewhere else "originally" as in "I'm from Sydney" = "yes but where are from originally" and feeling like you somehow don't quite make the grade with them, are a bit on the outer, (never mind that you've been a citizen for 25 years)

Those stupid interminable radio ads where people are having a conversation about their lives to promote something.

The work culture. Especially the women.

The husky break in the voice a lot of the women speak with.

I'm sure there's more but that'll do for now, don't want to be seen as whingeing, God forbid.