How safe is Mexico these days?

Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

celticnik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How safe is Mexico these days?

Hi, just a quick question on the whole security issue in Mexico these days. When I was there in 2010, people around the country were very much preoccupied with issues related to safety in general, specifically concerning visiting foreigners. I do realize that border regions and Mexico D.F. are naturally more prone to these kinds of concerns but I am wondering what the sentiment is in general now that two years have passed. Any comments are much appreciated, thanks.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 6:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How safe is Mexico these days?

Originally Posted by celticnik
Hi, just a quick question on the whole security issue in Mexico these days. When I was there in 2010, people around the country were very much preoccupied with issues related to safety in general, specifically concerning visiting foreigners. I do realize that border regions and Mexico D.F. are naturally more prone to these kinds of concerns but I am wondering what the sentiment is in general now that two years have passed. Any comments are much appreciated, thanks.
I think we hashed through it all here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Mexico
Old Nov 21st 2012, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I think we hashed through it all here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Mexico
Yes, thanks for this. The drift is much the same as has been written about Mexico City since forever as far as I can determine, where some say it's fine within confines and others liken it to Bagdad in recent times. What about the cities of Guadalajara and Monterrey, does anyone know how they compare to D.F. in terms of safety and living standards? Thanks again for replies, much appreciated!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

What was written two years ago still applies.

On the whole, the bigger cities are safe and pleasant but do have some unsavory areas. You'll stick out as a fairly obvious tourist so don't make yourself anymore 'inviting' to the pickpockets and conmen than you need to.

'La Inseguridad' ('The Insecurity' as the Mexicans usually refer to the drug wars) happens anywhere, anytime - there is just no way of knowing BUT, thankfully, it is still quite rare outside the border regions and doesn't usually involve richer, whiter tourists - such folk have nothing to offer 'los narcos'.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you Adrian. I certainly agree that common sense must prevail anywhere in the world. Security aside, are there any obvious comparisons and differences between life in Monterrey and Guadalajara?
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by celticnik
Security aside, are there any obvious comparisons and differences between life in Monterrey and Guadalajara?
I can't answer that, unfortunately, having lived in neither, nor visited Guadalajara. I do know that Monterrey is very much the center of north-Mexican capitalism and has been favorably compared to Houston.