Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Help needed with possible move to Mexico?!

Help needed with possible move to Mexico?!

Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Jack_1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help needed with possible move to Mexico?!

Hello all,

I would be very greatfull if anyone can help me with a few questions about a possible move to Mexico (preferably Quintanna Roo).

My girlfriend and I are looking to move and need some advice on the job front first.

I am a skilled aircraft electrician currently working in aircraft production for a major company so I would like to know if there are any jobs in that field, or any other type of job I really don't mind what I do, whatever will bring in the best pay
I believe shell is a large company does anyone know if they employ Brits?

My partner is almost a qualified nurse an would preferably like to work in the general nursing field?

Can anyone also help with what sort of pay we could achieve?

I would be very greatfull if anyone can help, I would love to move to the beautiful country but obviously need to find out a lot of information first

Thanks in advance for any help

Jack
Old May 1st 2013, 7:34 am
Just Joined

oxbridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Help needed with possible move to Mexico?!

Hello and welcome.

I may suggest some pointers to achieve your goals and pave your way.

1. Focus on becoming proficient in Spanish -elementary but important advise. A helpful site to learn is www.livemocha.com

2. There are some high ranking sites to find jobs in Mexico, such as www.zonajobs.com.mx, www.computrabajo.com.mx and of course, there is always monster.com

3. To get a balanced and well informed description of living and safety conditions in Mexico, on this Forum I would recommend reading posts from AdrianR and Lion in Winter.

Best of luck, and keep on searching before moving, as it were...
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Help needed with possible move to Mexico?!

Hi and thank you!

I will have a look through all of the points you mentioned and will trying to learn as much Spanish as possible, would it be worth also getting in touch with the mexican embassy?
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact the Consular section, a nice woman called Griszelda will point you to the appropriate pages on their website
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by feldr
Contact the Consular section, a nice woman called Griszelda will point you to the appropriate pages on their website
Thanks a lot I will get in touch and see what I can find out!
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

feldr is an unknown quantity at this point

Let us know how you get on...
Old May 16th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Oooh! I've been namechecked!

Firstly, although you can enter Mexico on a 6 month tourist visa (an FMM), you cannot work, open a bank account or get a drivers license with it. You can look for work but your employer will then have to 'sponsor' you for an FM3 'Cargo de Confianza' visa and explain, to the satisfaction of the Federal Dept. of Immigration, why there is no suitably qualified Mexican who can do the job.

Nursing is not particularly well paid outside the private hospitals of the larger urban centers. The Mexican 'NHS' (social health system - IMSS) is underfunded and ill-equipped. This may explain why the majority of expats - unless in some highly specialized field - go in for English teaching.

Now, the Yucutan peninsula is, by and large, a very nice place - if you want to be a tourist or a retiree and sip piƱa colada all day by the azure seas. If you want to work (I assume you have your ground tickets?) then it will be much more complicated and you will need to be where the work is - Monterrey, Guadalajara, Toluca or DF itself.

Also, although I am not 100% certain, there are aspects of the aviation business that are 'protected' ie:closed to non-Mexican citizens.

You will have to research a lot more and come to terms with the types of question you need to ask. Good luck!
Old May 20th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much! That's very helpful information, I think we will have to save up as much money as we can and take a 6 month visa to then travel round the areas that we would have a good chance of getting work in.
I will also just take a sebatical from my current job so if it doesn't work out I can return to work here, we also planning on visiting austrailia so allthough I love Mexico we are keeping our options open!
Thanks again for your help!