British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Central, South America & Mexico (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/)
-   -   Hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/central-south-america-mexico-123/hello-601458/)

Erik C Apr 2nd 2009 4:37 pm

Hello

Hi, I,m Erik, 53 years old, married to Marina and living in Brazil for quite a long time already. We live with our 3 dogs in the mountains of Petropolis, about an hour from Rio de Janeiro. Although it is great to live in this beautiful country finding your way around in the beginning can be quite difficult. If any of you have any questions regarding living in Brazil I will be glad to help.

Jules Europe Apr 4th 2009 10:10 am

Re: Hello

Originally Posted by Erik C (Post 7445578)
Hi, I,m Erik, 53 years old, married to Marina and living in Brazil for quite a long time already. We live with our 3 dogs in the mountains of Petropolis, about an hour from Rio de Janeiro. Although it is great to live in this beautiful country finding your way around in the beginning can be quite difficult. If any of you have any questions regarding living in Brazil I will be glad to help.

I`ve been to various countries in South America but never to Brazil, tell me is the violence in Rio as bad as they say? and what is security like where you live? What type of lifestyle do you have in Petropolis?

Erik C Apr 4th 2009 3:50 pm

Depending on where you are Rio is as bad as they say. The "zona sul" is relativly safe during the day but if you stand out as a Gringo you still have to be careful. Where we live is is a different story, here in Itaipava, just outside of Petropolis, crime is virtually unheard of. We live here for almost 5 years now and have yet to be confronted with any crime. During the construction of our house we had some theft of building materials but other then that nothing. Our lifestile here differs greatly from living in the city, no walls around the garden, no bars in the windows, heck more often than not I forget to lock the doors at night. The climate is perfect. This is because we live at an altitude of 1100 mtrs meaning no humidity and nice cool evenings. We only go to Rio if we absolutly have to, and even then it is straight in and out and never after dark. Most houses here belong to people who live in Rio and come up during the weekends, that should speak for it´s self. I can only speak about my own experience, surely there will be people who disagree with me but I have lived in Rio and will never go back to live there.

Jules Europe Apr 5th 2009 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Erik C (Post 7451439)
Depending on where you are Rio is as bad as they say. The "zona sul" is relativly safe during the day but if you stand out as a Gringo you still have to be careful. Where we live is is a different story, here in Itaipava, just outside of Petropolis, crime is virtually unheard of. We live here for almost 5 years now and have yet to be confronted with any crime. During the construction of our house we had some theft of building materials but other then that nothing. Our lifestile here differs greatly from living in the city, no walls around the garden, no bars in the windows, heck more often than not I forget to lock the doors at night. The climate is perfect. This is because we live at an altitude of 1100 mtrs meaning no humidity and nice cool evenings. We only go to Rio if we absolutly have to, and even then it is straight in and out and never after dark. Most houses here belong to people who live in Rio and come up during the weekends, that should speak for it´s self. I can only speak about my own experience, surely there will be people who disagree with me but I have lived in Rio and will never go back to live there.

Googled Petropolis and surprised at the wealth there along with the lush countryside. Your account seems to comply with what I have heard that away from the big cities Brazil is as safe as anywhere else. Often thought about taking a holiday to Brazil but given the size of the country not sure where to focus it. Rio, Sao Paulo, North East or the Rio Grande do Sul area, where would you suggest?

Erik C Apr 5th 2009 4:38 pm

Well, that´s almost impossible to answer. This country is so big and has so much to offer in terms of things to see and do that you have to make choices. Those choices depend on your taste and interests, without knowing those there is no easy answer.

Jules Europe Apr 5th 2009 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Erik C (Post 7453562)
Well, that´s almost impossible to answer. This country is so big and has so much to offer in terms of things to see and do that you have to make choices. Those choices depend on your taste and interests, without knowing those there is no easy answer.

An ideal trip would involve several days in a large city also a trip to some great beaches, places of historical importance and of course seeing some of the interior and towns or cities of the interior as well. I imagine Rio and surrounds could offer this.

Often read that the states of Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande de Sul are very european, not sure if this is a fact or just an exaggeration?

Erik C Apr 5th 2009 8:05 pm

Looks like you´ll have to visit Rio then, it has it´s problems but nobody will deny that it is a beautiful city. Paraty would be a great place to visit, a few hours away from Rio by bus but a very scenic drive along the coast.
That would take care of a town with historical importance, Buzios would take care of the beautiful beaches, again a few hours from Rio going the other way. Depending on the time of year you might want to fly to Bahia or one of the other states in the north for your beach holliday. Once you have seen Paraty you don´t need to go to other historical towns seeing they all stem from the same period and Paraty is by far the best preserved, just went there myself last month. We go each year, apart from the town itself you can make boat trips to the hundreds of islands in the bay, some of these islands have very nice hotels on them.
The southern states are not exactly European but they are better organised, a lot of European immigrants setteld there and build towns the way they were used to in Europe, Blumenau is a good example of that.

Jules Europe Apr 6th 2009 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Erik C (Post 7453925)
Looks like you´ll have to visit Rio then, it has it´s problems but nobody will deny that it is a beautiful city. Paraty would be a great place to visit, a few hours away from Rio by bus but a very scenic drive along the coast.
That would take care of a town with historical importance, Buzios would take care of the beautiful beaches, again a few hours from Rio going the other way. Depending on the time of year you might want to fly to Bahia or one of the other states in the north for your beach holliday. Once you have seen Paraty you don´t need to go to other historical towns seeing they all stem from the same period and Paraty is by far the best preserved, just went there myself last month. We go each year, apart from the town itself you can make boat trips to the hundreds of islands in the bay, some of these islands have very nice hotels on them.
The southern states are not exactly European but they are better organised, a lot of European immigrants setteld there and build towns the way they were used to in Europe, Blumenau is a good example of that.

The agenda that you have suggested does seem to fit the bill and out of interest do you have a preference between Rio and Sao Paulo? Googled Blumenau and not only is the name German but eveything about it seems German, in fact its like being in Germany but with a sub tropical climate.

Erik C Apr 6th 2009 12:12 pm

As a tourist destination there is no comparison, Rio wins hands down. If I had to work and build a career I would live in Sao Paulo.

Jules Europe Apr 6th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Erik C (Post 7455649)
As a tourist destination there is no comparison, Rio wins hands down. If I had to work and build a career I would live in Sao Paulo.

I know that pollution is particuarly bad in Sao Paulo as well but looking at its ethnic make-up looks one of the most diverse cities in the world and for this reason looks very interesting. Also its huge population makes it a true metropolis in every sense of the word.