Epidural births in Brazil?

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:25 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Epidural births in Brazil?

Howdy all... my first post in the South America forum so go easy on me

Me and the wife are presently in Dubai and had our first child here. The birth was with epidural, and my wife is determined that she does the same for the next baby. We are considering moving to Brazil in a year or two (my wife is Brazilian) but there is some debate over whether to try for another baby here or wait until we get to Brazil.

Basically, she is convinced that there is no such thing as epidurals in Brazil. I'm pretty certain there must be, as everything I've read suggests there are good hospitals there.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Are epidurals available, and if so, how widely? Would a city like Fortaleza have the facility for example?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Brasilero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Epidural births in Brazil?

What is an Epidural Birth?

Fortaleza?? I wouldn't move to a place like that.
That is among the worst examples of a third world place.

Stay in Dubai. I have no doubt you are doing pretty well there.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

omarcln is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

It's the most common birth procedure in Brazil. In Brazil doctors don't leave the women suffering with a natural procedure. I had my two sons in that way. As soon you get a private health insurance, you can choose any doctor you want and usually they use epidural procedure for baby births
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:52 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you omarcln, that is what I hoped.

Brasilero - I am guessing you have not been to Dubai. Much as I have had a good time here, it is not somewhere I wish to bring up my child.

Number of reasons:

- some of the most dangerous roads in the world mainly due to nutty local arabs who are effectively immune to the law... the roads are statistically 60 times as dangerous per km as the UK

- completely messed up social/religious system. I was watching a cooking show on Fox the other day, and everytime the guy said 'pork' they blanked it out, like it was a dirty word. I've seen kids books at school that are censored because they have pigs in, or the characters live in 'Church St'. It's nuts. I don't have a problem with islam, only these idiots who interpret it in such a stupid way. In the UK we don't eat rats and we think they're dirty. But we don't try to hide their existence from kids - I grew up watching Roland Rat on TV!

I have not been to Fortaleza so cannot comment; but while various parts of Brazil have their problems, I've generally found the people I have met friendly and you're living in a free country. Live in a dictatorship for a while and see what it does to kids and then decide whether it's really where you want your kids to learn their world view from.

Last edited by captainflack; Apr 6th 2011 at 11:54 am.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

omarcln is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Epidural births in Brazil?

Captainflack,

Fortaleza is a lovely city in North East Brazil, with amazing weather and stunning beaches. One of the friendliest people in the country and excellent food (sea food). Not to mention the cost of life is cheap in comparison with the big cities like Rio and Sao Paulo. Natal is a another nice city to be visited and close Fortaleza. Hope you enjoy the North East Brazilian life style.