Costa Rica

Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Coati is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costa Rica

Hello all

Well I am pleased to have come across this forum and this small section on Costa Rica

I am 55 years old , married and have 2 kids who have now flown the nest.

So we are selling up here in wet , nasty, expensive, taxed to friggin death UK(and we live in a nice bit; Cornwall) and are coming to have a look around Costa Rica. W e have been a few times and love it. We have lived overseas before (Zambia and Kenya for 14 years) so will take the days as they come.

We have no work to do whilst there and I guess we are lucky to have enough invested to meet expenses for living and renting indefinitely in CR .

We will also keep a base house here in UK (Manchester) so we can adhere to the immigration/visa constraints. W e hope to apply for rentista residency, but will hold that decision untill we have spent some time in CR. Unusually we prefer the hot Caribbean area eg around PV/Manzanillo, but have an open mind. We know there are lots of issues in CR but at this age we are up for any challenge, after Central Africa dont get phased to easily.

Hi Suncr - man I would not come back here to retire its going to rats by the day - tell you what when we come to CR we will adopt you lol! Seriouslt UK is a nightmare sooo expensive and dreary weather. Crime is at a phoenomenal level 1 gun crime every 17 mins apparently; drugs are rampant and the police pretty impotent. Political correctness has gone mad!

say hello if you want

Pura Loco

Rich

Last edited by Coati; Oct 4th 2008 at 3:37 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

suncr is an unknown quantity at this point

"Crime is at a phoenomenal level 1 gun crime every 17 mins apparently; drugs are rampant and the police pretty impotent. Political correctness has gone mad!"

Sounds pretty much like Costa Rica right now.

Seriously, Crime is on the move upwards. Police can't do anything. Drugs on ever corner and hookers on every other. people being ripped off, fraud, robbery etc, etc, etc. The only difference is that we really don't have major terrorism. Just local thugs terrorising the neighbourhoods.

Take a look at the TICO TIMES web page. You'll see what I mean.

Yep, I understand about the U.K. However it doesn't stop me from wishing I was there. If I could get a job, and I know I can't, I would be outta here in a flash.

Make sure you have private medical insurance. The social security really sucks, and you probably won't be covered anyway. As a rentista you will need to have transfered a certain amount of dollars/pounds into a bank account each month. Better to be a tourist. If you do decide to stay, make sure you find A REALLY GOOD LAWYER. You're going to need one, and only pay him for the work done. No up front payments. Get a receipt for EVERYTHING. If it ain't on paper, it never happened !!!!!

Let me know when you arrive, maybe we can get together. I've been here 29 years and if it can happen to you, it's already happened to me. Believe me, it's not all a bed of Roses, but in the end, at least the weather is better, and warmer.

If you come, come with an open mind. Talk to lots of people. Find out what C.R is REALLY like BEFORE you burn your bridges.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi m8

All good advice there - we wont be handing over any cash and may well stay as tourists; that way we can be in both worlds 6 months of the year.

At least we will get our full state pensions at 65 though its hardly a goldmine.

Crime is a real problem as you say and its time CR did something - but I dont think there is any motivation to sort it out.

It would be really nice to say hello once we are there - did you say where you lived?

Re your pension - qualifying years for full state pension have been reduced to 30; your qualifying years go back to 16 years of age so you will have a max of 23 if you come back now and pay the stamps (you may also be able to back pay some) this means you will get then
24/30 of 90.60 = 72.48 = approx 500 USD /month
you will not be able to live on that

thanks for saying hello and I hope you can be happy somehow
Rich

Last edited by Coati; Oct 6th 2008 at 2:58 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Pension

Yes, I realize I couldn't live on the U.K. Pension in the U.K.

That's why I really can only dream about returning.

I've been away far too long for me to pick up where I left off.

I'll be staying in C.R. for what's left of my time.

Just one question that you might be able to answer:

I know I can pay some back years, I believe 6, But can I pay N2, or N3 contributions?

I believe that the N2 payments are cheaper (I may have it reversed).

I think thay are less than 3GBP per week. I could pay the 6 years back and then continue to pay each year till I'm 65. That would help increase my pension that would go allot further here in C.R.

I live just west of San Jose, in Ciudad Colon.

Thanks for the reply. When do you plan on comming?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Class 2 is for self employed and is 2.30 week
you would have to prove you were self employed

Class 3 is voluntary and is a whopping 8.10/week

W e cannot leave for CR until house is finally sold - probably looking at after Xmas sometime. Like most middle aged folk here all our dosh is in the house!

A s we have another house to use as a base this is OK for us - my dad lives in it he is 88 so similar situ to you - bless him.
I however own that property as well . I know where CC is although not been there will certainly pass through and say hi!

take care
regards
Rich
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: self Employed

I have a company down here. That is the basis of my residence. So I guess I could prove that I'm self employed.

Going to see what I can do about it.

Looking forward to your arrival. Drop me a line when the time is right.

If you are comming just after Christmas, can I ask you a wierd favor????

Could you bring a couple of extra M & S English Christmas puddings with you?

I'll certainly pay you for them. Just one of the things I sadly miss here, and as I normaly go back to U.K. around Summer time, they are not to be found.

I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

2 M&S Xmas puddings - sure no problem!

hope theyre not a prohibited import lol

Rich
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Christmas Puddings

Thanks allot.

I Really appreciate it.

There should be no problem, even in U.S. I've brought them in before. As they are rapped and sealed they will be OK.

My mouth is watering now.

I can give you my info a bit later. Phone/e-mail. Or stick to this thread.

Thanks
again.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Annabel Candy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Costa Rica

We just spent a year there and loved it but it didn't work out with kids as the schooling was a huge problem - we were in the southern zone near Dominical. Personally I think it would make a great retirement destination for the adventurous and would even like to retire there myself - only another 25 years to go Hope they haven't ruined it by then though as there is way too much development going on in certain areas. Caribbean side is a good choice though. Good Luck with all your travel plans!
Old May 31st 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

I just posted a new thread about a potential move to CR and the property I am looking for.. Just bumping this up...maybe you nice folks could help me...
Old May 31st 2009, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Annabel Candy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by buddymom
I just posted a new thread about a potential move to CR and the property I am looking for.. Just bumping this up...maybe you nice folks could help me...
I would be happy to help if I can. Is it about the property in Escazu? Please tell me and if I have any advice to offer I will.

Good luck with all your travel plans!
Old May 31st 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice

Hi and thanks for the quick response. Did you see the link I started? The company only has email contact, and have not heard from them. They are called Costa Rica Deals... maybe a local phone numer.??

I would like to have a place secured, so me and my doggie can fly together. As opposed to me going there, seeking housing and relying on friends to watch my dog.. and ship him.
It is a LOOOng trip from Dubai to CR, I'd like to be on the same route.

Not a deal breaker though.
Again thanks, MB
Good to chat with you