Can anyone tell me more about Belize?

Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

nova789 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone tell me more about Belize?

My husband is thinking of asking for a temporary transfer to the Belize branch of his company. We have 3 children 8, 4, 3. Before he does that though, we would like to know more about living in Belize (we plan to be there for about 5 years).

Can anyone tell us about it?

1) Cost of living - I like to cook from scratch. What are the prices of groceries like over there?

2) Cost of accomodation (how much can we realistically expect to pay? We don't ask for a luxurious, big place. Just a 3 bedroom flat or house. We want to be able to save as much money as we can whilst we're there as the plan for us to go there is to save enough money so we can come back to England to buy a house)

3) Schools - what are the viable options? State? Private?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone tell me more about Belize?

There´s quite a lot of posts about Belize on this forum. Have you tried doing a search? ( you´ll see on the right of the page, near the top, a search facility. If you just enter " Belize" in there, you´ll see them.Hope they are helpful to you
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

nova789 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I had a look but found nothing that would tell me about the practicalities of daily life... how much accommodation can cost, where's best to live, if you need a car, healthcare, schooling (private or public). Will have to wait and keep looking to see what I find.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

sarasara is on a distinguished road

Hi Nova
It all depends on where you choose to live.
On the Cayes and coastline, food and accommodation is more expensive.
I live in Belmopan where rents are also quite high for Belize, but not compared to the UK(around 500$ US per month for something furnished). There are local markets for cheap fresh food and lots of supermarkets for imported foods. The cost of living is definitely cheaper than Europe, but if you are being paid in ££ then you may lose a little in exchange rates as the Belize dollar is related closely to the US$.
Eating in restaurants can range from $5bz upwards depending on your choice of eatery - of which there are plenty.
State schools are plentiful and generallly below the level expected in the UK, but there is a private school system which is recognised outside of Belize. Fees are not high when compared to the UK, but the education available mirrors the US rather than the UK.
Whatever way you look at, life in Belize is definitely cheaper, but not being given away if you want a good quality of life, from the UK. It would certainly be a big adventure for your family which your young children would probably benfit from in all sorts of different ways.
It is relatively safe and there is a sizeable 'ex-pat' population.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

sarasara is on a distinguished road

Oh yes, you definitely need a car locally - preferably a 4wheel drive, although the bus service is great for getting around the country. Cars are very expensive in Belize and even more so to hire. Many people import from the States. Petrol is still reasonable compared to the UK, but rising by the week just like everywhere else. Servicing etc. is also cheaper.
The local hospitals are basic and you 'pay as you go'. Health insurance would be a must if you are there for a while and there are plenty of private clinics. Those that can afford it go to Mexico, Guatamala or the US;
That's it!