Calling British Expats in Chile

Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

andydja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calling British Expats in Chile

Is anyone able to tell me the approximate size of the British expat community across the whole of the nation of Chile?

Best Regards
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling British Expats in Chile

Hi andy,

Welcome to BE. I've moved your thread into our Central and South America forum for you.

I don't actually know that info and am not sure where to locate it, but maybe one of our members in that region may know.

Are you thinking of moving there?

Sue
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks

As you've probably guessed I'm new to this. At this point I'm not looking to emigrate, rather to discover what would be involved in doing so and what possible business/employment opportunities may be available.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andydja
Many thanks

As you've probably guessed I'm new to this. At this point I'm not looking to emigrate, rather to discover what would be involved in doing so and what possible business/employment opportunities may be available.

Thanks again.
No worries, we were all new to it once

Sounds like you are taking the time to research a move overseas, and that's great. It's always better to get as much information together before making the decision.

I've seen lots that decide to make the move and go for it without actually taking the time to get as much information together prior to the move, and then hit lots of hurdles they weren't prepared for at the other end.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone able to tell me the approximate size of the British expat community across the whole of the nation of Chile?

Best Regards
On average about 182 pounds and 5 feet 9 inches tall.

Or you could try one of these.

http://www.alloexpat.com/chile_expat_forum/

http://www.allchile.net/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chilegringos/
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

According to the British Embassy, in 2008 there were approx 2000 British citizens registered with the Embassy. That obviously doesn´t mean much as you can be sure there are many more ( like myself) who don´t bother to register.

I would suggest though that the info you asked for would be irrelevant if you are thinking about living/working/having a business here, as once you have your permanent residency it makes no difference what nationality you have; nobody´s interested.

Employment opportunities will , like anywhere, depend on what qualifications you can offer, and also your level of Spanish. Bear in mind there are very many highly qualified Chilean people here, so being a foreigner in itself wouldn´t open many doors. At the moment, anyone who has any kind of mining engineering qualification , can more or less name his salary as there is a desperate shortage. The ponly way you are going to be able to really make a decision is to make a trip here and see what it´s all about.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Many thanks for the reply. Given your advice I'm considering a fact finding holiday.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the reply. Given your advice I'm considering a fact finding holiday.
Not sure where you want to be in Chile. Santiago is a nice city with good transportation etc. Problem is the pollution in the winter. They literally have to close the schools on some days because the pollution is so bad. Oh, and I hope you like earthquakes. They get some doozies. I do like Chile though. Rather fond of La Serena.