Buying property in Brazil

Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Only one NOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying property in Brazil

I would welcome any advice on buying a house in Brazil as a holiday home/let. We are looking in the Serra Mantiqueira mountains and have seen a number of houses between Monte Verde and Itamonte. We live in the UK, but my wife is a Brazilian national and we plan to move over to Brazil in a few years.

We plan to explore options re Brazil or UK mortgage and I have been reading any online info I can re pros and cons of buying overseas. Also, appreciate any recommendations re property lawyers and surveyors who speak both Portuguese and English, in the Monte Verde/Campao do Jordao area.

Thank you for any advice
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

rdkt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying property in Brazil

Hello NOD,

Been a little while since you posted but I just joined and saw the thread today.

I live in São Paulo and have a house in the Serra da Mantiqueira mountains. My house is in São Francisco Xavier. It is a nice, quiet town, a few good restaurants, very friendly locals. Itamonte is pleasant as well, I also like Gonçalves.

Are you still looking? Any help I can provide would be a pleasure.

Best,

Richard
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Only one NOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Richard

Thanks so much for the reply. We have found a couple of places we like around Monte Verde/Goncalves. I think we drove through SF Xavier en route to Goncalves. We are researching info on lawyers, insurance companies, etc although it does not seem as easy as it is in the UK to find information and we are not sure how similar the house buying process is in Brazil. Any recommendations you have on solicitors and advice on the process would be very welcome. Also any advice on the area would be very appreciated, eg is travel difficult in the summer wet season.

Many thanks and best wishes. Nick
Old Oct 7th 2014, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

rdkt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nick,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I haven't yet gotten into the habit of checking this site. If you'd prefer, my direct e-mail is [email protected].

I mentioned your case to a solicitor I know. He said he could help, and tells me he speaks pretty good English. If you'd like I'll send you his e-mail.

As for getting around in the wet season, it is usually fine. In seven years I once had to take a (fairly harrowing) detour, and trees do get knocked down quite a bit, but in general there is no problem. Most people don't even have 4-wheel drive cars. I do, but I don't engage the 4 wheels often.

I'm sure I could get more information on buying a house for you. Let me check around.

Best regards,

Richard