Buenos Aires - Buy Apt ?

Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

vidareal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buenos Aires - Buy Apt ?

Hi am new to this forum.

I have decided to move to BA (initially 6 months) to check out the place. Rather than rent, i figured it may be smart to buy an apartment and take advantage of the booming market that is currently in BA. Then not only do i have my own place to enjoy whilst in BA but it would not erode my savings as hopefully capital appreciation may occur ?

I would love to know if this would be a good idea from anybody here currently living / has lived in Buenos Aires. Would say 40-50K sterling be sufficient (have done some research) to pick up a nice place in say monsterat or palermo viejo.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ed
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:07 am
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buenos Aires - Buy Apt ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=297164&page=2 check out my post on this thread near the bottom. i was involved in helping foreigners buy property in BA and had 2 of my own. Just sold up. Don't believe all you're reading in the broadsheets at the moment-they're at least a year or 2 behind the market. Market is heading for a period of serious stagnation and then a fall and it's only 1-3 years away. Foreigners are getting sucked in by other foreigners and argentines desperate to make as much cash as they can before the next crash (sometime around 2012/13). It's like an Albanian pyramid scheme.

If you're not willing to lose access to your money until the market returns to its current level in about 8-9 years time then do not invest in property in BA.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

UPP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matttheboy
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=297164&page=2 check out my post on this thread near the bottom. i was involved in helping foreigners buy property in BA and had 2 of my own. Just sold up. Don't believe all you're reading in the broadsheets at the moment-they're at least a year or 2 behind the market. Market is heading for a period of serious stagnation and then a fall and it's only 1-3 years away. Foreigners are getting sucked in by other foreigners and argentines desperate to make as much cash as they can before the next crash (sometime around 2012/13). It's like an Albanian pyramid scheme.

If you're not willing to lose access to your money until the market returns to its current level in about 8-9 years time then do not invest in property in BA.
Hi Math,

I am an exLondoner who now lives and works (property consultancy business)in Punta del Este, Uruguay, summer playground of rich Argentineans. I would highly advice you to rent first and research the market yourself, before you take the plunge. You certainly wouldn't want to fall pray to some of the property sharks in Bs.As. who frequently cheat innocent foreigners. That said, Buenos Aires is an exciting & vibrant city and in comparison to London, property prices are still a bargain, although they have already appreciated 120 % since the big financial crises of 2002. Within the usual Argentinean boom and bust circle, they have now reached about 60 % of the former.
Best wishes Margret
[email protected]
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Dawn Clair is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am planning to go travelling in South Amercia in September, starting in Buenos Aires. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice and tips.

I look forward to hearing from you

Dawn
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:38 am
Just Joined

matttheboy is an unknown quantity at this point

for a more than excellent intro to argentina and especially BA you should read this guy's website www.wrighton.com.ar he's an expat american who lives and works in BA and is probably the most interesting of the many, many bloggers who live in BA. There's also a blog of blogs here www.bloggersinargentina.blogspot.com I still read a lot of the blogs from argentina despite not living there any more.