British Schools in Mexico City

Old Aug 31st 2008, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

canchero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Schools in Mexico City

Hello,

I just arrive to Mexico city and I am looking for British International schools. I have read that Greengates is a wonderful school, but it is located in the northern part of the city, this creates a huge problem for me as I will be working in the South of the city. Does anyone knows a good British International school in this area? have heard that Edron Academy is one of the best as most of the teachers are coming from UK and they do have intensive english lessons.

The schools that so far I have visited are bilinguals schools but their english language is not as strong as the Edron.
Any comments please that can help me decide?

Many thanks.
Canchero
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Abayomi99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Schools in Mexico City

Originally Posted by canchero
Hello,

I just arrive to Mexico city and I am looking for British International schools. I have read that Greengates is a wonderful school, but it is located in the northern part of the city, this creates a huge problem for me as I will be working in the South of the city. Does anyone knows a good British International school in this area? have heard that Edron Academy is one of the best as most of the teachers are coming from UK and they do have intensive english lessons.

The schools that so far I have visited are bilinguals schools but their english language is not as strong as the Edron.
Any comments please that can help me decide?

Many thanks.
Canchero
Hi! I actually studied at the EDRON for quite a while and was then moved to the American School. I was back there a few years ago as a substitute teacher and have to say I was incredibly shocked at the lack of discipline there is in the place. What I can tell you is the following. As a student I had terribly trouble there because I was incredibly shy and spanish was not my first language which made relating to other children difficult. Although the teachers are english and most classes are given in the language the children are mostly mexican and therefore all social interaction with other children will take place in spanish. If your children have no problem with that and are outgoing they will probably fit in quite easily. However, as a teacher a few years ago I noticed that the children run the school. There is no discipline at all, the children decide what goes and what doesn't. And those teachers that stand up to the kids are not backed by the administration which means that in the end the kids get their own way. Obviously this has serious repercussions on the academic level. You also need to take into consideration that very few universities here in Mexico accept the degree from this school as valid which means that your children's options will be considerably reduced when it comes to that time.
That said, I would like to mention that as a brit, moving to the american school meant I lost a bit of my accent. I now sound a bit more international however, I pick it up again quickly whenever I'm back in the UK. The school is an international one and the english teachers have to respect your children spelling the british way instead of the american. They did with both my sister and me and my brother is now in the highschool and is not having any trouble with it. The school has incredibly grounds, including tennis courts and a pool and the teachers, while mostly american, do include teachers from around the world. I had a German teacher for world history and an English teacher for Chemistry. Also, the language teachers tend to be from abroad. While the school is expensive they give needs based scholarships. Unfortunately you do have to pay the initial inscription in full before you find out how much you will be getting. But I have never ever heard of anyone being turned down.
If you wish to get in touch with me my email is
Best of luck, Anna.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 12th 2008 at 6:15 pm.