British expats in Panama

Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default British expats in Panama

Are there any? Every Internet page I've come across so far refers to US expats only - but surely there must be others. My wife has an urge to retire to Panama instead of Mexico, and I'd like to hear from other nationalities living there. Thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expats in Panama

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Are there any? Every Internet page I've come across so far refers to US expats only - but surely there must be others. My wife has an urge to retire to Panama instead of Mexico, and I'd like to hear from other nationalities living there. Thanks.
We visited Panama a few years back with a view to retiring there, tempted by the benefits of the pensionado visas. The only Brits we met were, ironically, a family/business that had moved from the Cayman Islands and were building a development between Boquete and David.

At the time we weren't, for various reasons, in a position to move forward with a move there. Having said that, we've always kept the possibility of that move as an option, so much so that we are going back in December to have another visit to see if the place is where we want to retire to.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Bud. Wife is heading down there in a couple of weeks to have a look. I'll report back in due course.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting forgetful in my old age. The B&B we stayed at in Boquete was run by an English couple. They had only just purchased the place, therefore had very limited experience of Panama themselves. I do believe they are still there though, Google 'Boquete Garden Inn'.

I have bookmarked quite a few Panama websites and forums, most of which are the usual fare of varied opinions, the merits of living in Panama, realtors and other folks after your money. The one exception is a site called 'Retirement Wave.', written by an expat. You sign up for a newsletter and it gives you access to the site and archived newsletters. The newsletters are sent via e-mail about every 4-6 months and are both informative and interesting. We've never had any sales pitch or spam from this site.

Panama ticks a lot of boxes.

Looking forward to hearing your views once you visit.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Bud. Wife is heading down there in a couple of weeks to have a look. I'll report back in due course.
I am interested to know if indeed, your wife did visit Panama. More importantly, I would like to know what she thought of it. It is a country that has always interested me but so far, I have not visited.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I am interested to know if indeed, your wife did visit Panama. More importantly, I would like to know what she thought of it. It is a country that has always interested me but so far, I have not visited.
Yes she did visit, Tee, but only Panama City, which didn't impress her at all as a place to retire to. Next time, I'll probably go with her and check out some of the places on or near the Pacific coast. Sorry I don't have any info of use to you.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes she did visit, Tee, but only Panama City, which didn't impress her at all as a place to retire to. Next time, I'll probably go with her and check out some of the places on or near the Pacific coast. Sorry I don't have any info of use to you.
No need to apologise - I was being a bit cheeky by trying to use your wife's experience of Panama as a substitute for visiting myself.

The problem for me is there is a lot of hype surrounding Panama - mostly generated by North American real estate agents, who make the country sound like a Paradise. On other forums I have heard horror stories, including expats being victims of armed robberies. I suppose the only way is to make a personal visit and see which view of Panama is more accurate.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by teejaydee
No need to apologise - I was being a bit cheeky by trying to use your wife's experience of Panama as a substitute for visiting myself.

The problem for me is there is a lot of hype surrounding Panama - mostly generated by North American real estate agents, who make the country sound like a Paradise. On other forums I have heard horror stories, including expats being victims of armed robberies. I suppose the only way is to make a personal visit and see which view of Panama is more accurate.
I've done a far bit of research on Panama and have visited once a few years back with a view to retiring there. The country is still on my list of possibilities as a retirement destination, but I blow hot and cold about whether it's the right place. As you say, some of the forums are full of negatives, yet I've read just as many posts praising the lifestyle of those who have adapted well to the move. I'm still undecided. Panama City, for me, is definitely out, too hot, too humid, too noisy, too chaotic. Boquete, a popular retiree destination, is beautiful, although it's probably too remote for my liking. Our next visit will take in Coronado and Altos del Maria. One is on the Pacific coast and the other is further up in the mountains.

A website I can recommend is....

Retirement planning services, retire in panama, panama real estate, panama retirement and best place to retire: Retirement Wave

and one I'm enjoying reading with regard to the Coronado area...

Panama Beach Expat Community News and Events

You also might want to read about the pensionado visa.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I've done a far bit of research on Panama and have visited once a few years back with a view to retiring there. The country is still on my list of possibilities as a retirement destination, but I blow hot and cold about whether it's the right place. As you say, some of the forums are full of negatives, yet I've read just as many posts praising the lifestyle of those who have adapted well to the move. I'm still undecided. Panama City, for me, is definitely out, too hot, too humid, too noisy, too chaotic. Boquete, a popular retiree destination, is beautiful, although it's probably too remote for my liking. Our next visit will take in Coronado and Altos del Maria. One is on the Pacific coast and the other is further up in the mountains.
Many thanks Bud, for your response and for the links. I know all about blowing hot and cold - I am currently in Malaysia, trying to decide if it is the place to which I would like to retire. One day I think it is, the next I think it is not. I fear that unless I really love the place at the beginning, I will end up unhappy in the long run. I am not sure the idea of growing to love a place over time will work. Anyway, I have often thought of Panama as an alternative to Malaysia, and will explore the links you supplied.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:44 am
njf
Forum Regular

njf is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I'd say hi. My wife and I are now giving serious consideration to moving to Panama, probably Boquete becuase it seems to have the best climate in Panama. My wife is from South America so speaks fluent Spanish and I like that there are a lot of expats (not many Brits I guess) and some sites say almost one half of the inhabitants are foreign expats.

We currently live in Spain and love our house but what the Spanish government have done to taxes and reporting are proving horrendous to us.

We have no great links to the UK any more, the weather there is unreliable and we probably couldn't afford to buy a nice house there anyway. It´s a shame that my UK State pension will be frozen if we go to Panama but it´s not a lot anyway so it's a minor consideration.

My main worry is how difficult will be the culture change from what I have been used to all my life moving to a very small town like Boquete.

We're going to try a visit in the next few months to see what it is like. There are a lot of good videos on Youtube, particularly one of a guided drive through and around the town.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by njf
Just thought I'd say hi. My wife and I are now giving serious consideration to moving to Panama, probably Boquete becuase it seems to have the best climate in Panama. My wife is from South America so speaks fluent Spanish and I like that there are a lot of expats (not many Brits I guess) and some sites say almost one half of the inhabitants are foreign expats.
Many thanks for this posting. The fact that your wife is from South America and speaks Spanish has to be a major advantage. One of the reasons for me holding back from considering Panama in more depth is that I cannot speak Spanish. Perhaps after your visit, you could make a further posting about how you got on, and if the inability to speak Spanish would be a major handicap. I am sure not all the other expat residents of Boquete speak Spanish, so it would be interesting to know how things work out.

Originally Posted by njf
We currently live in Spain and love our house but what the Spanish government have done to taxes and reporting are proving horrendous to us.
I empathise with you on this. I would dearly love to consider Spain, but feel unable to do so for this very reason.

Originally Posted by njf
It´s a shame that my UK State pension will be frozen if we go to Panama but it´s not a lot anyway so it's a minor consideration.
Yes, although the fact that you will be able to live tax free should more than compensate. Also, there are the other benefits for those on the pensionado visa.

Originally Posted by njf
We're going to try a visit in the next few months to see what it is like. There are a lot of good videos on Youtube, particularly one of a guided drive through and around the town.
I agree. I have watched many of these videos and it really does look very appealing. But, as the old saying goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. You're doing the right thing by visiting and seeing for yourself what it is like.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

FYI. I believe Latin American Spanish is different from European Spanish. How much of a difference I don't know, although I'm sure that knowing some Spanish will be of an advantage. We purchased the Latin American Rossetta Stone language course.

To the best of my knowledge, foreign income into Panama is tax exempt.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
FYI. I believe Latin American Spanish is different from European Spanish. How much of a difference I don't know, although I'm sure that knowing some Spanish will be of an advantage. We purchased the Latin American Rossetta Stone language course.
Bud. To the best of my knowledge, the difference between Spanish-Spanish and Latin American Spanish is about as great as the difference between English-English and American English. Not that much. My son speaks and reads Latino Spanish but has virtually problems in Spain when he's there.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

If you are 62 years old or older in panama 25% off at all restaraunts ,hotels,general shopping etc..just show your i.d.passport..ask in spanish(who bee lad oe)

Last edited by osgood; Oct 26th 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by njf

We have no great links to the UK any more, the weather there is unreliable and we probably couldn't afford to buy a nice house there anyway. It´s a shame that my UK State pension will be frozen if we go to Panama but it´s not a lot anyway so it's a minor consideration.

My main worry is how difficult will be the culture change from what I have been used to all my life moving to a very small town like Boquete.

Interested to know your thoughts on Spain.

I live in the UK, although I am a dual British/ South African and my wife is Brazilian but I particularly like Northern Spain as I enjoy hiking, climbing and boating.

I have heard the situation is tough over there from Spanish people but would be interested to hear from a British expats point of view.

We considered Brazil, but the crime, corruption and bureaucracy is off putting to be honest. The other good place to consider in Latin America is Chile I hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.