British Expats in Argentina

Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Expats in Argentina

Originally Posted by britanica
Hi.
I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. I'm a female, already fluent in Spanish, and I've lived 1 yr in Baires (in 2006) with weekends in Pinamar. This time I'm considering moving to Mar del Plata. I'd like to hear from anyone- particularly from Michelle who apparently lives there.

How is life there, does it feel too touristy? Are winters really chilly or bearable without home heating? I'm wondering about retirement there. I read about the rising inflation. Wondering how many pesos are needed now for rent and groceries per month (1 person)?

In fact, I'd like to know about the pensionado visa and its requirements, any reference?

Muchas gracias.
You might find this useful: http://www.argentine-embassy-uk.org/...onervisa.shtml In fact, it may be worth your while browsing through the site of the Argentine Embassy for other things too. On another BA Expats site, a correspondent recently suggested without attribution that an income of AR$3500 per month might be enough to satisfy the authorities for the visa pensionado but while many Argentine families have to make do on less, most Brits would baulk at the idea. How much you actually need depends on the lifestyle you lead and there are endless discussions about that on other forums. Be aware that inflation is high and is rising and whilst the government with its massaged statistics denies the true extent of inflation, inflation is almost certainly a major tool in fiscal policy so isn't going to go away any time soon.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

lisaflipflops is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone,

We are a family of three moving out to BA about christmas time.We are due to be in the country for about 2 ish years and i wondered if you could give us some info regarding getting our lives organised once there.

We need a really good english speaking school for my 6 year old daughter.We have lived abroad before and we had put her into a spanish speaking school and i dont really want to do that again and wondered what my options are.

Also can you give me some ideas of good areas to look for regarding house hunting which will take place in the next 2 months.

I really want to get up and running with other mums,as i know what its like to be stuck at home and going abit loopy.

any information will be gratefully received.

lisa
Old Aug 27th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

elhombresinnombre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisaflipflops
hi everyone,

We are a family of three moving out to BA about christmas time.We are due to be in the country for about 2 ish years and i wondered if you could give us some info regarding getting our lives organised once there.

We need a really good english speaking school for my 6 year old daughter.We have lived abroad before and we had put her into a spanish speaking school and i dont really want to do that again and wondered what my options are.

Also can you give me some ideas of good areas to look for regarding house hunting which will take place in the next 2 months.

I really want to get up and running with other mums,as i know what its like to be stuck at home and going abit loopy.

any information will be gratefully received.

lisa
Very briefly, rentals are complicated. Iif you will have legitimate temporary residency through your company or whatever then you can legally rent on a two year contract (reviewable and therefore cancelable at one year) at the much lower price obtainable to ordinary Argentines. This system requires a 'guarantia' to be put in place: locals can use another property-owner in the city; you would probably expect your company to put this in place for you. Without temporary residency and a guarantee, expect to pay higher, US$ prices since it's illegal to rent long term to a non resident (although some landlords will overlook this in return for a years rent in advance)

Where you want to live will need to be based both on quality of neighbourhood and proximity to your place of work. In fact, I'd demand that your firm organise as much as possible from the BsAs end. If they don't have a company apartment to get you started then most people will benefit by renting something temporary while finding what you really want when you get there. Nothing worse than getting stuck in a noisy, crowded place for two years - however great it looked on a website.

I don't have school age children but there is one American School (Lincoln, very expensive) a number of bilingual schools and some with a strong English "ethos," You will find more people with school age children and more experience with rentals and visas and the like in more specific city-based forums. Google my nom-de-plume and the city name to find forums to get you started.